New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Anyone else play both DM and "Pit of War"?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:

One of the very first things a middle school teacher learns is this: DON'T let yourself get drawn into any kind of an argument with a student. The argument (and all the social status-boosting that goes with it) is probably more important to the kid than the subject matter! Make your point, then let it go. If the kid wants to keep going, deflect them. If that doesn't work, go to plan B. If necessary, C. Just don't return to the argument. Consider that horse dead and unfit for consumption! Cool

I have high respect for teachers and what they do. My favorite quote along similar lines says: "You can win an argument with a scholar because they will always be willing to reconsider their positions. You will always lose an argument with a fool because they never reconsider their positions."

By the way, don't confuse my not reciprocating the aggressiveness of some criticizing me here as me enjoying the controversy and publicity or even of goading it on. I much prefer sophisticated and respectful dialogue. I happen to have core values I live by where I am committed to self-control and respectfulness to everyone - regardless of whether or not they exercise that same self-control towards me. Where I draw the line is with personal attacks and intentional misrepresentations (slander). That sort of bullying and harassment I will always stand up to - still in a way consistent with the values I live by.

Normally, when a conversation becomes disrespectful, that person loses the right to speak with me. But since this is an open conversation that I am hosting, I don't have a choice to leave and can only continue to humbly ask for respectfulness for the sake of everyone involved in the discussion. Whether others honor that is up to them and their own values.

It has been engaging, but alas, I'll try again to honor the respectful request of Gentleben and say tis time to lay this thread to rest.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last edited by Longshot on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well said Adoede. I for one don't understand the venom directed at you in this thread. Duel2 certainly doesn't have enough players that our current player base should be so negative to a player for posting and in such a respectful way. I enjoyed your comparison of the two games by the way.

We are all nerds at heart and I for one will always like to hear about new games , books , and movies that fit the genre.

Adoede wrote:
KidArcane wrote:

One of the very first things a middle school teacher learns is this: DON'T let yourself get drawn into any kind of an argument with a student. The argument (and all the social status-boosting that goes with it) is probably more important to the kid than the subject matter! Make your point, then let it go. If the kid wants to keep going, deflect them. If that doesn't work, go to plan B. If necessary, C. Just don't return to the argument. Consider that horse dead and unfit for consumption! Cool

I have high respect for teachers and what they do. My favorite quote along similar lines says: "You can win an argument with a scholar because they will always be willing to reconsider their positions. You will always lose an argument with a fool because they never reconsider their positions."

By the way, don't confuse my not reciprocating the aggressiveness of some criticizing me here as me enjoying the controversy and publicity or even of goading it on. I much prefer sophisticated and respectful dialogue. I happen to have core values I live by where I am committed to self-control and respectfulness to everyone - regardless of whether or not they exercise that same self-control towards me. Where I draw the line is with personal attacks and intentional misrepresentations (slander). That sort of bullying and harassment I will always stand up to - still in a way consistent with the values I live by.

Normally, when a conversation becomes disrespectful, that person loses the right to speak with me. But since this is an open conversation that I am hosting, I don't have a choice to leave and can only continue to humbly ask for respectfulness for the sake of everyone involved in the discussion. Whether others honor that is up to them and their own values.

It has been engaging, but alas, I'll try again to honor the respectful request of Gentleben and say tis time to lay this thread to rest.
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

double post

Adoede wrote:
KidArcane wrote:

Otis
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Floyd,
It is probably in a small way my fault for the way the conversation has gone. My reply was a bit harsh to his ORIGINAL post. The original post was "Hey guys, quit playing DM and come play this!". All the BS that Adoede has written about how it was not intended that way is just that, BS. It has since been amended several times.
We all enjoy gaming obviously. There are several games out there or were out there that are similar to DM (PoW, Gladiatus, Blood Pit, Arena of Goran). Most have been played by a majority of the DM community. I appreciate when others post other games to TRY OUT. Not a blatant advertisement for another game, telling us we should leave DM and play this. Not that it would work. We would all need several months of treatment and therapy to quit playing this forever.

It is obvious he doesn't pay attention to this game he loves so much...

Adoede wrote:

I should clarify that by online version of DM, I'd be happy with emailed turns and a website where you can see what's up in all the other arenas throughout the realm. That's it. No change to the game itself. And PBMers could opt to keep their mail to boot. I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

That is already here in the menu in the upper left. You can also go back and look at old turns. Even old turns from closed arenas. As well as tourney results.

Wasn't going to comment any more but the longer this went on the more I felt I needed to post again.

Back one of these years with full stables elsewhere.

Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Otis,

I understand your cynicism, and I probably deserved some of your rebuke. But I have been upfront about how this thread started and how it evolved to where it is now:

Adoede wrote:

This thread was originally titled "Why I'm switching from DM to PoW" because I was annoyed there were no plans for an online version. Hard as it may be to believe, I'm being 100% honest when I say an online version of DM is my dream game. I don't know why, but the 2 week turns and PBM format was a lot harder to get used to after my long lay-off.

Anyway, Otis commented that that post seemed disrespectful of RSI - and it was...and it was meant to be.

But I still have a little soft spot in my heart for all the years of happiness DM brought to me, so I changed the post to be more neutral and focused on promoting both DM and PoW/other online arena games. Haven't quite decided if I'm going to stick with both or just focus on one or the other.

For my current life circumstances, I guess an online DM-like arena game with a daily turnaround is what really fits. Didn't quite realize that with such clarity until participating in this thread. I wish DM would be that game - that's why I found my way back here again after 20 years away. But since it's not, I started looking around for alternatives that worked for me. DM is more for nostalgia these days - and everyone knows how hard it is to quit for good.

This thread has been contentious here and there and that is surely somewhat my fault as well. Of course I've been promoting other games in this genre - that's the whole point of this thread. But I am a DMer at heart and no matter what other games I try, I always compare them with my experiences with DM. I've matured in my view throughout this discussion from thinking it had to be one or the other to realizing there is room for both in my life. That's where I've settled and I'm happy with that. And that's what I've been promoting ever since.

As for the online newsletters, I did try to check all my old turns in the archives when I first came back and none of the links worked (I tried 30 or so). Same goes for tourneys...maybe one of them worked. I didn't bother checking any more after that.

Anyway, unless there are any other objections, I wish you all a good night.

Last edited by Adoede on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since this has been brought up...again. I will ask again.

Adoede, what teams do you run? What arenas are you in?
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Longshot,

Let's let this one go together.

Goodnight and this will be my final post on this thread. We can pick up other discussions on other threads if you like.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, that is the fourth time i have asked you that question. And each time you have avoided answering it.

I was right in my thinking.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic