New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Anyone else play both DM and "Pit of War"?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ragnarokwolf
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a couple of stints playing this game. Each time though I got bored once my guys got up to about 40-50 fights. The new website looks great, but I can't get into the fights and fight strategy. I remember playing this game about ten years ago also. This did make me think of Bloodpit though. I haven't played that in a while and I see it's still running. I might have to go check that out again.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but am I the only one that played the online version of duel masters out of Europe about 15 years ago? I don't know who ran it or if it was even legal but I remember playing it for 5-6 turns. It ran via email.

Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Longshot,

There are certainly worse things you could have said, but there are also much better ways to say the same thing that build friendships and create camaraderie. I'm sure if we ever meet at a convention or something you could say it to my face, I'd chuckle about it and we'd both laugh it off together over a pint.

Last edited by Adoede on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Ragnarokwolf - I've never heard of Bloodpit...thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

And if you ever find that link to online Euro-duelmasters, please share it here Very Happy
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede wrote:

Longshot - There are certainly worse things you could have said, but there are also much better ways to say the same thing that build friendships and create camaraderie. I'm sure if we ever meet at a convention or something you could say it to my face, I'd chuckle about it and we'd both laugh it off together over a pint.

p.s. - I am secretly hoping my suggestions for the Dev at Pit of War make it a bit more like DM - then I guess I could say it is my game in a way - and you'd be right about me posting here in two weeks to break the news Wink

But I don't want to build a friendship or create a camaraderie with you. Do you even play? Have I seen you in DM-8?

And besides. All of my friends know that no means no. Laughing
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Touché
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
I guess we'll see you in two more weeks when you introduce your own game; Duel Pit of War Masters. Or DPOWM for short. Laughing

Hey, trademark infringement! Laughing

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Gunsmith, that is precisely what I intend to do.

You've got to admit though that just from the fact everyone here (mega-managers included) seems to have already tried out Pit of War and other "online" DM-like games shows I'm not the only one curious about this and that if a viable alternative to PBM DM truly was out there, they would be, at the very least, interested.

Hope your day gets better - there's enough bizarro in the world right now to get too worked up over this stuff.
Den
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede, let me guess, you have an ownership stake in Pit of War and are here trying to grow sales. Drop it, you have a better chance of selling KKK attire in Ferguson MO right now.
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I, too, have tried Pit of War, and lost interest after a few days. I've tried pretty much every game even remotely similar to Duelmasters , but nothing else really captures the feel of the game and community like DM does. That's why we're all still here, am I right?

Kind of the same reason I still play Everquest. Sure, there's other, newer, prettier games out there, but the older player base makes it a much better environment to play in, than the newer games. oops, I'd better stop now, I don't wanna promote it too much and ruin anyone's life Razz

Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Man, the cynicism.

No ownership stake in any other game. No, I'm not developing my own game. My work is in an entirely different field. Simple as it sounds, I'm just a fan of the genre.

I hadn't played DM since the early 90's but I had fond memories of it and wanted to get started playing again for some stress relief. Figured there'd be an online version by now and in the process of searching I came across this forum. I also found similar games like Pit of War and others online - though Pit of War is the only one I stuck with.

I've come to appreciate and enjoy both games and say as much in both forums.

Now that that personal stuff is out of the way, I'd humbly request that any further discussion on this thread be about the actual content of the thread. If this topic doesn't interest you, please feel free to pay it no mind. There have to be others out there who enjoy both DM and other online games. I'd love to pick up the discussion with such individuals.
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the reply, Buri

I agree the older player base is one of the reasons I still connect with DM. Can't believe some of the oldies are still here from my era back in the days of long-haired glam rock and early grunge. I remember Assur and some of the Consortium members from way back then too...

Well, enough with the name-dropping for now...

Apparently I've been stirring the pot both on this forum and over at Pit of War Smile

Last edited by Adoede on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lugal
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gunsmith wrote:
AND you are not talking about enjoying both.you are talking about changing one to be like the other.GO AWAY.and again,have a nice day.

Good shootin, Tex! I mean, Gunsmith....
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Gunsmith,

Sorry, I don't follow. I've never said anything about changing DM to be like PoW. I like DM as it is too...just wanted an online version is all. If anything, I've been pointing out how PoW could use some improvement in the basic game to be more like DM.

Once again, I respect your opinion, but if the thread bothers you so much, please don't feel any need to follow it. And if you do feel a need to respond, all I can do is ask again that it be in a respectful way.
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gunsmith wrote:
oops.i meant SDSUASRML. and this is respectful as i get to a door to door salesman

Well, that's an improvement and I'll take it Wink Certainly appreciate the effort - and I mean that sincerely.

I should clarify that by online version of DM, I'd be happy with emailed turns and a website where you can see what's up in all the other arenas throughout the realm. That's it. No change to the game itself. And PBMers could opt to keep their mail to boot. I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

I'm not trying to antagonize you or anything, but I didn't post this thread for those who are totally satisfied with DM and not interested in any alternatives for the rest of their time. I posted it to find others like me who happen to be curious about other games of this genre and how they stack up. If that's not you, then this thread isn't addressed to you and you need pay it no mind.

Have a good night - and kick some a** in the arena
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede, HR called. They would like to speak with you about some unwanted advances. Laughing

See? You are a sexual harasser. Except you are doing it to poor Duelmasters. She just wants to work and get our turns out. And here you are making rude comments on her appearance. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic