New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Shield as a favorite weapon. What next?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So you finally get a great warrior to ADM, but disappointment follows learning your warrior has a shield as their favorite weapon.

I've always had a hard time coming to terms with a warrior getting a shield (SM, ME, or LG) as their favorite. Typically, it's instant retirement.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone has had any success running with a favorite shield in the primary hand, or if you use it in the off hand, or just use whatever weapons you like.

I'd be very interested in everyone's thoughts.

Thank you in advance!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to win with a shield.
If the type which uses also a shield, we use it in off hand.
If scum, we use 2, unless SM, then we use 1 and something else.
If single weapon type warrior we either retire it or use another weapon of choice, likely leading to retirement.

Fave shield? You got scuzzed. Coulda been a whiffle?
Sad Sad Sad

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think a favorite weapon should have a huge impact on whether or not to run someone in ADM.
An example: my first Primus-level guy was a WS who got Morningstar. Crappy weapon, so I just kept using a SC. He TC'd ADM and Elegibles using SC (one of which, btw, was a favorites prize, with which I gave him the SC favorite after the fact).
Another example: This last F2F, I didn't have anyone for Freshmen, and I needed more fighters overall. So, I sent in two PL's who got SS as a favorite, and good rhythm numbers, just to see how they'd do. Well, I accidentally entered the wrong ID number for one of them, and ended up with a decent WS fighting instead. This WS's favorite was also MS, so after the first fight, I switched to SC. The PL with his favorite went 0-3-0, while the WS without his favorite went 5-3-0, even after losing the first fight with a SS.

Darkheart
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've only had one shield fave. Fortunately it was a TP. Unfortunately the weapon was a SM. Still running him now but with either a SM/ME or SM/LG combo. Sometimes I go BS/SM. His success is so so.

2015 Crapgiver
TWX Champion!

The Holy Legion - DM 10
Obsidian Hall - DM 33
Iron Cathedral - DM 52
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Even with a TP, I don't use shields as primary. If they were scum, that'd be different, but I don't run scum in ADM at all. I recently retired a triple 17 TP at the elegible level, who got ME as a favorite. I simply used SC/ME the whole way (he never amounted to anything, but it wasn't because of weapons).

MrAnimal
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've only had 1 warrior get a shield as fave, but it was my first warrior and one of my best, a PS that graduated in 1987 who got SM.

I never ran him with it in main hand but used it heavily in off-hand with a SC or LO for years. He's now pretty high up in contenders - though he hasn't been active in 10+ years - and I am not sure if I would use it in any situations other than to experiment with dual-wielding them vs ABs or something to try to parry them down.

Now for the most part I would not use a shield in ADM and would likely retire any warrior that got it unless that warrior was a) very good in other ways, or b) was a personal favorite warrior. My PS met both those criteria (ambi, +3 PA, +4 DF) yet I would probably stick a SC in his hand 90% of the time today.

Animal Pharm - 18
Matrix of Eternity - 21
Fur Your Eyes Only - 36
Helpless Animals - 41
Various ADM arenas
Mannequin
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've TC'd Freshmen with a BA and TP who were ME faves.

I ignored the shield with my BA and used the WH in most of his fights. I found that when I played with the ME it really didn't do the kind of damage you would expect for his damage rating. I didn't have that problem when I used other weapons.

My TP used the ME in his main hand with an off-hand SH. The only problem with that combo was that he would attack more with the ME than he would the SH. That was especially annoying late in fights when he needed to finish off his opponents. He had the same damage issues with the ME as the BA.

I wouldn't automatically retire a guy with a shield fave. You might have to play around with different off-hand weapons to find one that works for your guy. If that doesn't work I would just try something else that he's well suited to using.

"You're a madman!"
"Aye, I've come to the right place then."
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic