New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Rookie Mistakes
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrGoreng
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just began playing Duel II and mi team, the Rainbow Brigade, has only fought two turns on Noblish Island thus far. The team's record is not admirable (i.e. 1/9/0) but inspires hope. The results from the first round were accidentally sent to the wrong address and I haven't received the play by play from the last round yet. The only the evidence that I am doing something wrong is my team's abysmal record. Perhaps more experienced players could answer some questions for me?

1. Will plating a warrior up in the heaviest available armor essentially insure that he/she will not be harmed by anything but the largest of weapons? I suited up LENNY VENITO, a striker with great endurance and 20 will, in the best armor money could buy, equipped him with a dagger (he hasn't earned the right to use a mace), and he still lost in the first round. What was his opponent using as a weapon? I didn't see any firearms available in the weapons list.

2. The description for MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS states that she "is relatively slow and inactive" but also "incredibly quick and elusive." Are they describing her ability to get around in the arena or are they commenting on something else here? I don't get it.

3. Do weapons ever become stuck in an opponent? Will my warrior ever grab his/her opponent and stab/beat the opponent into submission?

4. How do I access old newsletters? They're never available when I click on them.

5. Finally, are there any posts solely devoted to weapon and armor selection? I have only seen posts dedicated to specific fighting styles but would like to read additional information solely concernig equipment with titles such as "proper protection against the short spear, long spear and other pointed weapons" or "blunt weapons to break their parry."

Despite my poor record as a manager, I do enjoy playing this strange game and look forward to the next round and your comments. Thanks in advance.
Darkheart
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
1. Will plating a warrior up in the heaviest available armor essentially insure that he/she will not be harmed by anything but the largest of weapons? I suited up LENNY VENITO, a striker with great endurance and 20 will, in the best armor money could buy, equipped him with a dagger (he hasn't earned the right to use a mace), and he still lost in the first round. What was his opponent using as a weapon? I didn't see any firearms available in the weapons list.

Depends on his strength and thus carrying capacity. Warriors with low carry tend to lose endurance very fast when plated up. Typically a ST is an offensive warrior which most managers "run hot" with little to no armor and a quick weapon, like the DA.

Quote:
2. The description for MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS states that she "is relatively slow and inactive" but also "incredibly quick and elusive." Are they describing her ability to get around in the arena or are they commenting on something else here? I don't get it.

The first comment is based on a combination of the warrior's initiative and riposte skills. It appears that this warrior's skills in those area are not all that high. The second comment is based purely on the warrior's initial skill level in defense. Your comment here is the best that you can have.

Quote:
3. Do weapons ever become stuck in an opponent? Will my warrior ever grab his/her opponent and stab/beat the opponent into submission?

No, and no although that might be entertaining!

Quote:
4. How do I access old newsletters? They're never available when I click on them.

Not an issue I have had. I usually use Terrablood's site, which I will post at the end of this reply.

Quote:
5. Finally, are there any posts solely devoted to weapon and armor selection? I have only seen posts dedicated to specific fighting styles but would like to read additional information solely concernig equipment with titles such as "proper protection against the short spear, long spear and other pointed weapons" or "blunt weapons to break their parry."

Some of this is just knowledge that you gain through experience. There are some dated articles that may help. Generally the best thing you can do is read every article in your Noblish Island newsletters. Additional valuable resources are the two sites below.

http://www.duel2.info
http://www.terrablood.com/duel-ii-formerly-known-as-duelmasters/

Welcome to D2 and Good luck!

2015 Crapgiver
TWX Champion!

The Holy Legion - DM 10
Obsidian Hall - DM 33
Iron Cathedral - DM 52
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.chatzy.com/m/94690149248227

This is the site for the live Duel chat. There are managers there almost around the clock. Lots of answers quickly

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
MrGoreng
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you both Gentleben and Darkheart.

I think Lenny Venito must have just collapsed from exhaustion. He [i]was wearing a lot of armor.

Far be it from me to make suggestions with my limited experience. Although I feel all could agree it would be cool to have a "high mortality" arena in which warriors frequently died or suffered permanent debilitating injury. Clearly my stable would have a short shelf life.
Flagg
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At one point in time, there was permanent injury in the game, but it was removed. That was a little before my time, so I'm not sure why it was removed, but I'd imagine customer feedback had a role in it.

Darkheart
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are special events held at face to face tourneys called Bloodgames. There are two at each face. They run either with the tournament (the face version) or overnight on Saturday night (the mail in version). Mortality is quite a bit higher with the top three killers, no more than one per style, get sent immediately to ADM.

I barely remember the permanent injury. The one I had, if I recall correctly, ended up losing one point of a stat permanently. By permanently I don't know if I was limited to a max of 20 in basic and 24 in AD or not. The effect was removed from the game shortly after. It was possible to also come out of the injury better than you were before, allegedly.

2015 Crapgiver
TWX Champion!

The Holy Legion - DM 10
Obsidian Hall - DM 33
Iron Cathedral - DM 52
MrGoreng
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah. I am just beginning to realize how attached some DII players become to their fighters. I don't care what happens to mine but then I have only spent $20.00 on them. It is interesting that warriors can at least still succumb to their wounds outside the arena. I'd love to receive a notice that Lenny Vennito didn't make it out of the ICU along with replacement roll up included.

I'm curious about the origins of this game and where it's going: how much has it changed; has it evolved quickly or slowly; does RSI keep things relative fresh (i.e. for a mail in game); how long has the aimed blow been dominant, etc?
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I first started in the late 80's, the lunger was the FOTM. I'm not sure how much has changed code wise, probably nothing.
When I got into the game, there was some talk about the game being merged with a rpg. Never happened.
One of the things I wish this game had was some sort of evolution. New class maybe, new weapons, something new. I know full well RSI can't aford to make game changing balances between classes as it would wreck the current top end. The mega managers who pay RSI's bill's would leave.
If you care only for basoc, then every class is good and fun. If you wish to compete in advanced, you will have to be more dicerning as to what to run.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rainbows, you will receive a reply in DM93 to one of your fights. It basically says:
a. choose weapons wisely
b. get the C.I.C. from RSI which is offered to rookies in Noblish (we know about it because we made it for RSI)

Since on-line is available to you, we offer this:

Get on the Terrablood.com site - there is much info there

Check another thread here on this site and get on chatzy - you can ask questions directly and usually get prompt info

Read those articles in the Noblish newsletter - especially the ones in the top section. They are current and great value to rookies.

Ask your two mentors in Noblish any questions you want - that is what they are there for - Assur and John Wooden (Consortium rep)

But your best value is to read, read, read all the available info listed - and it is massive!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic