New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - New player with less than ideal stats
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Greetings All,

I'm trying Duel 2 for the first time and naturally I have researched the various sites, newsletters, guides, forums, etc. EVERYTHING I have encountered predominantly... No, exclusively... Points out the crucial aspect of Wit, Wil, and Def. Every build suggestion/guide points out Siizes from 9 and lower, with maybe an 11.

So my point I'm leading up to, is that when I received my roll up sheet ... I grew concerned. Here is what I'm looking at:

9 5 11 13 8 10 14

4 12 16 12 12 9 5

10 12 7 13 14 5 9

9 4 15 13 9 11 9

8 13 14 8 6 8 13

I read that you want to focus on raising your highest stat (that matters), suggesting 17's and 21's. Anyway in almost all of the rolls above, the highest stat is their size. But am I over concerned here, or are these pretty much bad enough ... That most of you would discard? I truly don't mean to complain. Like most, I'd like to get to enjoy some wins along with my losses. Not just solid losses that could mostly have to do with stats. But anyone have any suggestions if they ARE playable?
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tall fighters get the advantage of damage. My advice, dont force a rollup to be a class you want.
The rollups you posted look good, Many good strikers or bashers in there, maybe a Aimer as well.

9 5 11 13 8 10 14: 15 5 11 17 9 10 17 Aimer/Striker

4 12 16 12 12 9 5: 7 12 16 17 17 9 5 Slasher/Striker/lunger

10 12 7 13 14 5 9: 13 12 7 17 17 5 13 Waste

9 4 15 13 9 11 9: 15 4 15 13 15 13 9 Striker

8 13 14 8 6 8 13: 9 17 14 9 11 8 15 Scum

Dont get caught up in guides, things get unfun when you are chasing the perfect rollup. Enjoy what you have and make the best of it. If you dont like a fighter, kill em and try again.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jazin wrote:
Greetings All,

I'm trying Duel 2 for the first time and naturally I have researched the various sites, newsletters, guides, forums, etc. EVERYTHING I have encountered predominantly... No, exclusively... Points out the crucial aspect of Wit, Wil, and Def. Every build suggestion/guide points out Siizes from 9 and lower, with maybe an 11.

So my point I'm leading up to, is that when I received my roll up sheet ... I grew concerned. Here is what I'm looking at:

9 5 11 13 8 10 14

4 12 16 12 12 9 5

10 12 7 13 14 5 9

9 4 15 13 9 11 9

8 13 14 8 6 8 13

I read that you want to focus on raising your highest stat (that matters), suggesting 17's and 21's. Anyway in almost all of the rolls above, the highest stat is their size. But am I over concerned here, or are these pretty much bad enough ... That most of you would discard? I truly don't mean to complain. Like most, I'd like to get to enjoy some wins along with my losses. Not just solid losses that could mostly have to do with stats. But anyone have any suggestions if they ARE playable?

I will say right off that though these seem large bodies, they are not so bad at all. Yes, they are not SZ 3/4/5, but those come few and far between.

In general, this is a pretty decent sheet. Why? 4 of the 6 can easily get 17 WT. That is very positive and somewhat uncommon. You also have a couple of 17/17 options (WT/WL), one a very nice warrior.

WT and WL remain the primary needs, with many good warriors made with either/or. DF is valuable, and especially invaluable to make aimed blows.

Consortium designs normally stop at 11 DF, concentrating points elsewhere. (Unless an aimer.) (Or unless the DF starts higher than 11, then taking it to 13 15, or 17)

While we could offer our design ideas, we have an expectation that if you want our numbers then you have to first offer what you would design. (We assist/advise, but not design.) There will probably be others, though, who will offer you design numbers on this team.

We reiterate, though, this is a pretty darn decent team.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, that was the insight I was looking for. I'm glad to see the extra size does provide its advantages. Three questions.

1) I see Scum mentioned all over the place. DA (Dark Arena?) too. Yet I can't find their definitions anywhere I've looked. What are they?

2) Does the extra size contribute to exhaustion? By being heavier, do I have to compensate in the activity level?

3) Say after some matches (And I'll try several since I have a renewed perspective on my current stats. Thanks again for those suggestions) ... If I decide to acquire a new team, do I just ask RSI for a new roll up? Or does my current team have to all die first? Doesn't say in the paper they sent with the stats.

Thank you so much to any that spend their time to reply. I sincerely appreciate any and all guidance.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jazin wrote:
Thank you, that was the insight I was looking for. I'm glad to see the extra size does provide its advantages. Three questions.

1) I see Scum mentioned all over the place. DA (Dark Arena?) too. Yet I can't find their definitions anywhere I've looked. What are they?

2) Does the extra size contribute to exhaustion? By being heavier, do I have to compensate in the activity level?

3) Say after some matches (And I'll try several since I have a renewed perspective on my current stats. Thanks again for those suggestions) ... If I decide to acquire a new team, do I just ask RSI for a new roll up? Or does my current team have to all die first? Doesn't say in the paper they sent with the stats.

Thank you so much to any that spend their time to reply. I sincerely appreciate any and all guidance.

SCUM usually meant Total Parry (or other designs have been attempted) that runs conservatively wearing the opponent down either to drop with exhaustion, or sometimes finally swat them when they can hardly stand with exhaustion. SCUMs often use shields only.

The larger sizes do usually take more energy to fight than smaller masses, but there is plenty of endurance in big guys. Endurance is a derivative of WL/SZ/ST, not just SZ. The warrior's damage doing is a derivative of SZ and ST, so larger warriors tend to hit harder, which is quite nice.

RSI will sell you all the new rollup team sheets you want at $5 per pop. Many of the guys on this site (and on chatzy) have purchased them in "bunches" That sheet you got is on the plus side of sheets, not the negative side. RSI provides a freebie to get managers started and then lets the game reel them with fun and enjoyment. Then, there is the awfully fine manager population of DM which makes the addiction worth while.

DA (Dark Arena) is where you send a warrior you want to "lose". The warrior is killed by a DA monster, and you get a free new single rollup for the team. One sends in a strategy for a DA fight just as normal.

Ask questions like this in DM93 and you will also get answers and some admiration.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

I will say right off that though these seem large bodies, they are not so bad at all. Yes, they are not SZ 3/4/5, but those come few and far between.

In general, this is a pretty decent sheet. Why? 4 of the 6 can easily get 17 WT. That is very positive and somewhat uncommon. You also have a couple of 17/17 options (WT/WL), one a very nice warrior.

WT and WL remain the primary needs, with many good warriors made with either/or. DF is valuable, and especially invaluable to make aimed blows.

Consortium designs normally stop at 11 DF, concentrating points elsewhere. (Unless an aimer.) (Or unless the DF starts higher than 11, then taking it to 13 15, or 17)

While we could offer our design ideas, we have an expectation that if you want our numbers then you have to first offer what you would design. (We assist/advise, but not design.) There will probably be others, though, who will offer you design numbers on this team.

Im a bit naive, to know what these have the potential to be. I like that Lugal_gg helped give me an idea. At first I thought Waste sort of meant, "What a waste" ... Lol. I know it means Wall of steel, I think anyway.

I would like a variety. I'm assuming no one really have the Str to be a basher. I also caught that size plays into one of the weapon requirements? So again, naive. I sort of picture a halberd, as an example, perhaps that's Slasher?

Okay so if I were to just pick, not overthinking based on stats... These are what interest me.
Basher, Striker, Waste, AB, TP, Oh and Slasher (read on terra blood that lunge types, while it can be effective, lead to boring fights).
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jazin wrote:

Perhaps we did not quite cover one question. Normally, a manager can only fight one team in an arena; hence, if you want new warriors (new recruits to roll up) a warrior must be killed, or be dealt intentional death in the DA, or be elevated to Lord Protectorship and moved to ADM. (Advanced Duelmasters.) Very good warriors, with 14 wins and 20 fights can be considered for graduation to ADM. ADM is a whole new ball game.

You want another team? Buy new rollups from RSI and start another team in another arena. You can ignore any team you do not want to run in the other arenas.

Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

Im a bit naive, to know what these have the potential to be. I like that Lugal_gg helped give me an idea. At first I thought Waste sort of meant, "What a waste" ... Lol. I know it means Wall of steel, I think anyway.

I would like a variety. I'm assuming no one really have the Str to be a basher. I also caught that size plays into one of the weapon requirements? So again, naive. I sort of picture a halberd, as an example, perhaps that's Slasher?

Okay so if I were to just pick, not overthinking based on stats... These are what interest me.
Basher, Striker, Waste, AB, TP, Oh and Slasher (read on terra blood that lunge types, while it can be effective, lead to boring fights).
Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry. Accidentally resubmitted post by going back. Won't let me edit or get rid of it
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all, welcome to Duelmasters (that's the old name that many of us still refer to it as)!
Jazin wrote:

9 5 11 13 8 10 14

4 12 16 12 12 9 5

10 12 7 13 14 5 9

9 4 15 13 9 11 9

8 13 14 8 6 8 13

For a starting sheet, this is not bad at all. Sizes are OK, it gives you damage after all, and there's not really any giants here. I always look at WT first, and I see 4 guys you can get a 17 WT on. Here's what I'd probably do:

11-5-11-17-9-14-17 Striker, will get very little or poor endurance, but don't worry, ST is the only offensive style that can get away with it.
8-12-16-17-15-9-7 Slasher, raise ST to 9 (short leash, I'm not sold on this one)
15-12-7-17-17-5-11 Wall of Steel (favorite of the bunch)
11-4-15-17-15-11-11 Basher, most BA weapons are 13+ ST, so you can raise it or just use the QS. might need to raise it anyway to get to normal endurance.
14-15-14-8-12-8-13 Total Parry I guess, even though the WL is very low for that style. I had to pick something... In reality, I would Dark Arena this one without a 2nd thought.

Degralor
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the game Jazin!

If you would like... I have a pile of team sheets rotting away that may yield some gems for a starting player. I would be more than happy to rummage through them and send you a few of the good ones with of course no charge to you. )

Let me know here, or on Chatzy.

-Hollowshade
Manta
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are other web sites put up by players as well.

http://www.duel2.info

http://www.terrablood.com

Welcome.
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm going to focus on your question, "Are these playable," for my response, without having read the other responses.

9 5 11 13 8 10 14
Low Con/Will, suggests offensive design. Stats match. Definitely playable, could be anywhere from .500 to great.
-> 15-5-11-17-9-10-15 (with last two points on Speed or Deftness depending on the Style you choose). Striker (I'd add to Deftness will likely give the best results on average, but Basher (I'd add to speed) could also work. If you want to be more 'adventuresome,' Aimed Blow or Parry-Strike (both adding to Deftness) could work.

4 12 16 12 12 9 5
Low Str/Dft is a tough combination. There are things you can do to make this guy arguably playable, but on this one, I'll answer your basic question as 'NO."

10 12 7 13 14 5 9
This one is beautiful. 12 str highly recommended. I'd do something stupid with this guy (12-12-7-19-20-5-9). If I was recommending him for basic playability, I like 15-12-7-17-17-5-11 or 12-15-7-17-17-5-11. Style choices I'd recommend: TP, LU, WS, PL.

9 4 15 13 9 11 9
See my comments on the 1st guy? They apply equally here.
-> 15-4-15-17-10-12-11, with same style choices (except omit AB)

8 13 14 8 6 8 13
Most people will tell you to DA this guy immediately. Depending on the arena, I may or may not do that. If I wasn't going to do that, I'd roll it as:
9-18-14-11-7-8-17 AB. Even mode, this guy will win fights. Long term that wit-will is tough, but if he gets some positive rolls (especially with regards to skills), he looks pretty decent out of the gate. Your goals will tell you whether this guy is 'playable' or not.
Jazin
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know what I expected but everyone has been incredibly kind and helpful. Everything from the breakdowns, which teaches me a lot concerning builds, to providing useful links.

If you guys are any indication of how the community as a whole are, I can tell I'm going to love it here. Thanks again, for taking the time. Much appreciated.
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jazin wrote:
Greetings All,

In response to this, I will say the following:

Wit OR Will is important. You can definitely have success (even huge success) with only one of them high, but having success with both low is MORE difficult. There is even a thread about the lowest wit-will combination that people have 'graduated.' 25+ between these two stats is a decent guideline.

Deftness on non-AB's I view as highly overrated. I will state that 11 is perfect for all other styles. Several styles regularly do well with lower (Basher, Slasher, and Lunger most commonly).

Physicals (Damage, Endurance, Encumbrance, and Hit Points) are VERY important as well. Some warriors types don't need all of them, but every warrior type needs at least one of them.

I'll call out damage as the 'most' important and point at my article on "The Importance of Damage"
http://www.reality.com/duel2/modules/Newsletters/a093t438.htm
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic