New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - New Team Designs
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
donner
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm now halfway through my stay in the Noblish Island arena, and enjoying my return to the game so far very much. I thought I’d share my initial rollups and what i decided to do with them. Overall it was not a bad set of numbers, 4 of the 5 looked pretty good to me. Looking back, I do seem to be guilty of deciding on a style first, then shoehorning the numbers into what I wanted to run. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the three warriors I graduated during my first stint were a PS, PR and L... and that seems to be what I went for again this time Smile

13-11-16-4-8-14-4 -> 17-11-16-9-9-15-7 S
Probably should have been DA'd from the start, but thought i might be able to squeeze a few early wins out as a striker, but i was wrong. Sent to DA after 0-3 start.

10-10-9-10-12-9-10 -> 11-10-9-15-15-9-15 PR
This one was similar to the PR I graduated way back when.

11-10-14-9-11-5-10 -> 12-10-14-13-17-5-13 L
I thought about making this one a WoS, but decided i wanted a Lunger isntead.

11-13-9-14-6-8-9 -> 11-13-9-17-11-8-15 PS
Pretty sure i decided subconsciously that this was going to be a PS first.

9-10-12-15-3-8-13 -> 9-10-12-21-7-8-17 AB
This one threw me for a bit. Its the first rollup that had a chance at a 21 wit, so I went with that. After that, I thought back to my first team, remembered the only AB I had run before was killed in his first fight, so decided to try another.

Replacement for the DA's striker
13-4-13-4-12-12-12 -> 13-4-13-10-16-13-15 B
Up until now i have kind of had a one track mind, try to maximize each designs long term potential. Reading through some of the Noblish articles introduced me to the concept of a 'burner'. The concept makes a lot of sense and i thought this rollup might fit the bill to try one, so i gave it a shot as a basher & will focus on attribute training.

None of them are perfect, but they'll do the job of letting me get my feet wet again and get my head back in the game.

All thoughts and constructive criticism welcome

Thanks,
Donner
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing.
And we are so glad to have you in DM.
Your summary has caused us to think of amending our "design spotlight" in 93 to discuss designing to the numbers and then deciding style. Deciding style first, can sometimes lead one astray. Most managers can or do both at the same time, but conceptually, the numbers drive the direction.
So thanks!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Overall, your design skills aren't so rusty for just coming back.

- The ST should have definitely gone straight to the Dark Arena, as you have already learned.

The remaining four warriors are perfectly reasonable designs and style choices, although I would probably quibble with a few of the choices.

- The PR looks solid.

- The LU, I would probably have gone 15 WT/11 DF. 11 DF is all you need for the mighty LO and the 15 WT would provide slightly better learning.

- The PS, I would have stopped at 9 WL. WL 10-14 is a dead zone that provides no skills, so if I can't reach 15, I tend to stop at 9. So something like 11-15-9-17-9-8-15 or 15-13-9-17-9-8-13 would've been my design preference.

- The AB is designed perfectly if you want to make that roll-up into an AB. Me, I probably would've gone with ST. 11-10-12-21-9-8-13 ST would have been my design for this roll-up.

And finally, that new roll-up I would probably Dark Arena straight away.

All told, though, your designs are very solid and you look ready to hang in the arena with the best of them. Good luck, and glad to have you back!
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Overall, your design skills aren't so rusty for just coming back.

- The PR looks solid.

- The PS, I would have stopped at 9 WL. WL 10-14 is a dead zone that provides no skills, so if I can't reach 15, I tend to stop at 9. So something like 11-15-9-17-9-8-15 or 15-13-9-17-9-8-13 would've been my design preference.

All told, though, your designs are very solid and you look ready to hang in the arena with the best of them. Good luck, and glad to have you back!

OAB made great comments. My own additions to his:
- PR with good damage looks solid. With normal damage I hate it.
- I'm actually stopping at 7 will more often these days. Endurance becomes a more interesting topic of discussion, but I stop at 7 on many setups now. But because 9 will only gives 1 decise skill, if the endurance works, 7 will is a very viable option for many warriors (and isn't really that much different than 9)

If you have any questions about specific fights in DM 93, feel free to PM me here or even ask in these forums. We are here to help you have fun. Fortunately, the game hasn't changed. Unfortunately, the level of understanding and sophistication has gone up and it will take 'some' time to catch up. Doesn't mean you can't succeed while catching up, but expect some level of learning...
Nordheimer
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most of my new rollups I just sent in the other day look an awful lot like his first on the (DA) and his replacement....
donner
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for the feedback, it is certainly food for thought. I've been looking through the older DM-93 newsletters, as well as Terrablood's and Assur's websites to try and get myself a little up to speed. I can tell already the learning curve will be quite a bit steeper than when i first played, but i understand taking your lumps is part of the learning process. Still, the game is every bit as fun as i had remembered and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Thanks again all!

Donner
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic