New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Polarius
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bookie wrote:
actually i think azrael is an old angel name. just can't remember who mentioned him. (if it was jewish, muslim. or other christian text). perhaps master darque would know as he's the theologian.

Azrael (proper noun) Derived from Hebrew 'azra'el meaning "help of God". This is the name of an angel in Jewish and Muslim tradition who separated the soul from the body upon death. He is sometimes referred to as the Angel of Death.

Not a bad name for Duelmasters if you ask me.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto_X wrote:
Bookie wrote:
actually i think azrael is an old angel name. just can't remember who mentioned him. (if it was jewish, muslim. or other christian text). perhaps master darque would know as he's the theologian.

Azrael (proper noun) Derived from Hebrew 'azra'el meaning "help of God". This is the name of an angel in Jewish and Muslim tradition who separated the soul from the body upon death. He is sometimes referred to as the Angel of Death.

Hmm, I feel that is a bit cut and dry but not an absolutely incorrect summarization. The story of Azra is actually quite interesting, especially when spun from all sides. It is highly recommended reading material for any DMer. Other than the fact that it will never escape its pop culture connotations as the cat from The Smurfs I agree that it is a good manager name. However, I personally tend to associate Azrael with the second string Batman that never had the skill, intelligence, or cunning to usurp the true hero.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

illkidk wrote:
Otto_X wrote:
Bookie wrote:

Hmm, I feel that is a bit cut and dry but not an absolutely incorrect summarization. The story of Azra is actually quite interesting, especially when spun from all sides. It is highly recommended reading material for any DMer. Other than the fact that it will never escape its pop culture connotations as the cat from The Smurfs I agree that it is a good manager name. However, I personally tend to associate Azrael with the second string Batman that never had the skill, intelligence, or cunning to usurp the true hero.

he did however have the skill to take care of bane, the same villian that broke batmans back, i think thats how it went. but batman is my favorite super hero, really looking foward to the newest movie, just hope it isnt near as zany as the others, those movies didnt depict batman to what he really is at all.

youngblood

Balzar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The bad thing about all the Batman movies, even the first, is that he is supposed to be as agile as a jungle cat, but has to move his whole body to look side-to-side. To much armor, not enough martial arts. As for the best super hero, my favorite is a little known X-man by the name of Longshot. His mutant power is "luck." How cool is that? The new Batman movie will be the best one because of, finally a physically fit casting of the Dark Knight in Christian Bale (Empire of the Sun, American Psycho) and a great director in Christopher Nolen (Memento). If it sucks you can all blame me!

-Balzar, loves movies and comic books just a little more than this game...just a little more, manager of Teams that collect Magnus Robot Fighter

Honorable mention 6th grade spelling-bee
Ultraist
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Balzar wrote:
The bad thing about all the Batman movies, even the first, is that he is supposed to be as agile as a jungle cat, but has to move his whole body to look side-to-side. To much armor, not enough martial arts. As for the best super hero, my favorite is a little known X-man by the name of Longshot. His mutant power is "luck." How cool is that? The new Batman movie will be the best one because of, finally a physically fit casting of the Dark Knight in Christian Bale (Empire of the Sun, American Psycho) and a great director in Christopher Nolen (Memento). If it sucks you can all blame me!

-Balzar, loves movies and comic books just a little more than this game...just a little more, manager of Teams that collect Magnus Robot Fighter

**Ghost Rider rules! And I think they are making a movie about him starring Nicholas Cage.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Bookie
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultraist wrote:
Balzar wrote:

**Ghost Rider rules! And I think they are making a movie about him starring Nicholas Cage.

I thought Cage was the next Superman??

Suicidal Dreams--DM 36
Naturalborn Killers--DM 18
Adult Swim--DM 47
kLk Forums: http://s9.invisionfree.com/ILLUMINATIDM
Love me, hate me, you'll never forget me.....
Bounty Hunter of Alastari's Mos
Balzar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Cage superman project was dumped long ago. Kevin Smith was the writer, but the director had problems with it and it actually turned into a script for "Wild Wild West." Which sucked. Commenting again on "Batman Begins", I saw a new trailer last night that confirms the fact that it will be a quality flick. Guaranteed.

-Balzar, not a big Nick Cage fan, who is a big comic fan, that's how he got his name, manager of teams that think I should get a haircut and get a real job

Honorable mention 6th grade spelling-bee
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

New Batman looks sweet and the new Ghost Rider should be filming now.

The first two Batman films were awesome and directed by Tim Burton. Afterwards they started to suck because they became too campy and the target audience changed from upper teen - adults to 9-14 year olds (Star Wars Episode I anyone???).

www.rottentomatoes.com is a cool site for all the superhero movie news or all movie news for that matter.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Azrael
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Number one: Azrael that I use cames from the Angel of Death concept, the Help of God. I have used the Azra version that Ill Kid refers too since I use the "Fallen" moniker as well and when an angel falls it loses the "el" which means "enlightened one" or some such.(depends on whose translating)

Number two: Jean Paul Valley kicks ass as Azrael. Not as Batman. Twisted Evil

"KNOW MY WRATH!"

"Peace through Tyranny."
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Azrael wrote:
"el" which means "enlightened one" or some such.(depends on whose translating)

El is Hebrew for God.

Samuel - He who hears God

Bethel - House of God

Michael - He who is like God

Gabriel - Voice/Messenger of God

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Bookie
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:

El is Hebrew for God.

Doesn't the -EL being drop indicate a fallen angel? Azrael would become Azra and so on? Or am I mistaken?

Suicidal Dreams--DM 36
Naturalborn Killers--DM 18
Adult Swim--DM 47
kLk Forums: http://s9.invisionfree.com/ILLUMINATIDM
Love me, hate me, you'll never forget me.....
Bounty Hunter of Alastari's Mos
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bookie wrote:
Darque wrote:

El is Hebrew for God.

Doesn't the -EL being drop indicate a fallen angel? Azrael would become Azra and so on? Or am I mistaken?

From the cultural analysis that I have done, when a major change would take place such as that, especially in Semitic society, it would result in a completely new name. Dropping the -el would certianly be a possibility, but many times it was much more drastic. Taking Lucifer for example, his name changed as thus with fallen status:

Lucifer = Morning Star or Shining One

changed to

Satan = Deceiver

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
From the cultural analysis that I have done, when a major change would take place such as that, especially in Semitic society, it would result in a completely new name. Dropping the -el would certianly be a possibility, but many times it was much more drastic. Taking Lucifer for example, his name changed as thus with fallen status:

Lucifer = Morning Star or Shining One

changed to

Satan = Deceiver

I think you are mistaken on this one. If my memory serves correct the cultural analysis I have done suggested that his name was changed to Microsoft.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Just read today that it's this guy:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0746125/
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Quote:

Just read today that it's this guy:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0746125/

Heh, Spacey as Luthor. That should be interesting. Yeah, it doesn't look like DC has as good of a handle on the big screen as Marvel does. On second thought Catwoman v/s Electra has to be a miserable stalemate.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic