New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1576

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 5-10-11-16-8-11-9
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Xype
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

5-10-11-16-8-11-9

I'm considering maxing out his WT and DF, but am torn between adding the rest to WL or adding to ST. I'm not sure how useful a 15 DF is when you're not doing much damage. Maybe I'm investing too much in WT and/or DF...

Comments?

Thanks
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, were it mine, I'd go 9-10-11-21-9-11-13, probably PR.

Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

5-10-11-16-8-11-9, I like what Icabod created, but I wouldn't make a PR without a 17 DF so I make him a Striker or a Parry Striker.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*shrug*

I'm biased - PR is my favorite style, so I'm always looking for a good one.

I don't go as far as Assur with his bashers, though.

gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a case where the numbers pretty much build themselves.

5-10-11-16-8-11-9

If you can reach 17 more than 90% and 21 wit 100% you are not wasting those points. So,

5-10-11-21-8-11-9 with 9 points left, now you're asking is there something here that could waste my genius by causing multiple losses? As you noted, the strength fits that in this case. Looking at the most useful minimums as well you'd want at least 9 will and 11 df. So,

9-10-11-21-9-11-11 with just two points left. You already have a warrior there, now you're finishing it for style or max skills. He's not going to have a 21 df or a lot of endurance, so let's eliminate AB, LU, WOS, and look for something less endurance intensive than SL or PL as well. We're looking at BA, TP, PR, PS, or ST.

I personally would say it's playable if you had a reason as any of these but nothing special as either BA or TP (though probably winning more often than BA). So you have two nominally defensive styles and the lowest attack offensive. You wouldn't screw it up with points in strength or even will but you also wouldn't gain much, but every one of the three remaining styles come out improved with the df.

So there you are, 9-10-11-21-9-11-13. Personally, I like PR's too but with low carry and pretty marginal beginning parry I'd probably make this a Striker. (I know several people who really like the PS style and would surely choose it, but I'm not very good with them yet and can't make a really valuable recommendation on it.)

That was long winded Very Happy but I hope it was helpful. Luck.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, this guy could be good as PR, PS, or ST. Most of my brothers would make it a PS, honestly. If you wanted, you could even go 11 ST/11 DF and make a slasher, although it's a bit of a gamble.

And almost every PR design will have low parry, seeing as almost every PR design comes from a low will base (you really don't want to send your 21-17-13 guys out as PR's with better styles *cough*lunger*cough* available).

Xype
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well considering I already have an 8-15-11-21-13-3-13 PR on the same team, I think I'll opt for the PS. Thanks all for all the advice.

Ichabod, since PRs are your favorite maybe you wouldn’t mind giving a little guidance on how to keep them alive. The one above is undefeated, but like every one of my other PR attempts, it’s only a matter of time. My most recent casualty was also my best one ever 8(+1)-9-9-17-17-4-21 (Yeah, I know the rest of you are out there shaking your heads in disbelief that I didn’t make him something else). He died at 3-1-1 (his defeat being his death).
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You just had bad luck with that one who died. Just shrug it off and go on.

For PR's, I just put start them with like SC+ME and either ARM or ASM (helm to choice), depending on carrying capacity. Don't be afraid to plate them up, either - some need to do that to win those early fights.

Avoid lungers, bashers, and slashers, and go after just about anything else. Offensive wastes learning attack are a problem, but defensive wastes are fair game as well. I wouldn't ever recommend going above 6 OE or 6 KD, though - PR's REALLY aren't designed to take the initiative.

Your primary targets should be strikers, parry-strikes, and any type of warrior who never goes especially offensive. PR's have amazing endurance conservation, so going after skum with your trusty scimitar isn't a bad idea, either.

I'm a bit odd, but I rarely send a non-TP out in pure parry mode, even to start. For a PR, with their abysmal bases, parry mode is suicide - you should at least go 3-3-5 open the first minute, possibly even higher if the warrior can do it.

The PR isn't as tricky as an AB, but you still need to figure out how each one likes to fight. Some will want to lay back and stay on low-low, while others fight much better going, say, 6-6-6. It's up to you to figure that part out, though. Just watch the challenges and wear decent armor and you should be fine.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic