New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2 great new albums
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know there's some metalheads among us so if anyone's interested:

Metallica/Death Magnetic- It's ...And Justice for All meets Kill 'em All not that some kind of monstrosity known as St. Anger. A definate return to the old sound pre-Load! Hot Tracks are: The day that Never Comes, Cyanide, and The Unforgiven III

Judas Priest/Nostradamus- I thought oh crap they really F'd up here with a rock/metal opera. WRONG. This album i absolutely smoking!!! Maybe a top 20 Metal album of all time.... NO JOKE. It's priest meets Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Hot Tracks: War, Lost Love, Nostradamus, New Beginnings. Check out the solo around the 4:55 mark of Nostradamus. Perhaps the most incredibly well used sweep picking solo I've ever heard!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Wretch
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have got Death Magnetic but havent listened to the whole thing yet. Just a bit here and there. Sounds good so far though.

TeamChaos
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Holy hell..that is some bad $%#&. And I don't mean that in a good way. I think you need to pull out some Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning or something and freshen up on what Metallica was. This new album is putrid. I couldn't get through one song. They were a great band for a good amount of time but they've been done and over for over ten years now, and just pumping out worse and worse albums. It's really time for them to just give it up cause they are really killing em all with this poop they are putting out.
What make it even worse is they are truly ruining the name they made for themselves...if that is possible after the napster deal and load and reload and the symphony nightmare and St..... whatever that crap album was called...am I missing any other non metal moments here?

dartor
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't agree with Chaos. It's not as good as Ride the Lightening but is very close. I got both Death Magnet and the Judas Priest and loved both of them.[/list][/b]
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this Metallica album is the best since before the black album. People love to hate metallica, its the "in" thing to do. But this album is in my opinion the best album since And Justice for all.

If I had to rate Metallica albums I would run them:

#1 - And Justice for All
#2 - Master of Puppets
#3 - Ride the Lightning
#4 - Death Magnetic
#5 - Kill em All
#6 - The Black Album
#7+ all the other stuff.
TeamChaos
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't hate Metallica, just the current slop they are producing. If they came to the area I'd be on line for tickets as long as they aren't playing anything after the Metallica Black album. Heck I went to Van Halen concerts twice in the last year, Nov. at the Coliseum and March at MSG and didn't have to listen to any Van Hagar material.
Maybe I just can't let go to the bands I heard when I was younger. It just doesn't sit well when they try to reinvent themselves unless your lead singer is Rob Halford or Bruce Dickenson..then you can do no wrong.
I would like to throw Ozzy in that too but I just can't hack his wife anymore..she's selling that man out to extremes I never thought were possible. I'm waiting for him to show up on a cereal box next.

shadowdragon
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

good CD kirk really tears it up. For those with harder taste try Hatebreed newest very solid album and Slipknots new one is pretty good as well. Went to see the Judas Priest tour of Nostrodamus. was my 5th time to see there show and must say it was GREAT!! Rob losing his voice a little but the show is still top notch.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem for them is after they re-invented Thrash/Speed Metal everybody wants them to again re-invent the wheel. Granted Death Magnetic (DM Laughing ) is not Ride the Lightning or Masters it is back to the speed and away from straight up Hardcore punk or country or classical as they tangented into.

As to JP with more time into it I've pretty much had Disc 2 stuck in my car's CD player. Tracks 14-23 are all smokin'! Visions, Exile, Future of Mankind, and the hard to describe "Left Alone" are great listens as well. Too bad DNoble isn't around I'd like to hear what he thinks about the album!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally got the new Metallica ($9.99 at Best Buy, can't beat it!), and after listening thru it three times I definitely like it, but I haven't been hating on the band after St. Anger (or since Justice), either. You've got to give any new album it's fair chance.

There were some crushing riffs and grooves on St. Anger, and although the drums sounds and overall production were brutal (in a good way), I didn't miss Hammett's soloing all that much, myself.

The new album definitely harkens back, but AC/DC not withstanding, you can't expect any self-respecting band to just freeze in time and keep putting out the same material for decades on end.
The new CD is lean, good mix, although a little more bass would be nice. Broken, beat & scarred and Cyanide and the instrumental top my faves.

Also got the new Tesla, not too bad but no big hits on it. New Crue's decent, too, good to see them still swinging.
And just for my two cents, I'd take Van Hagar over that clown Roth any day...happy birthday, Sammy! Wink

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic