New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - ADM Regional Tourney Post-Mortem
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now that the Regional ADM tourney is done, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on things while they are still fresh in people's minds. I think that once we got going, everything went ok.

Let me know what your thoughts are on any of the following issueS:

Frequency: Every year or every other year? Not sure, depends on RSI. If it is every year, we have to get organized soon again (like Febuary) so people can move their warriors during the April Split. I think every other year might not be a bad idea that way that way someone else can run another type of event during the other years or something...on the other hand there are a lot of people who are interested now that they know how it works and we could take advantage of the momentum from last year...

Team Selection: One ultimatum from RSI was that they wanted an even number of warriors on each team next year and
if one team couldn't field X members (whatever team number limit was decided), they should be out. So with that in mind, I was considering the following changes:

- Team Size of 12. You qualify for the team the same way as before, win an automatic spot by stylemaster or DM. But in cases where there is a duplicate/one manager has too many qualified warriors/etc, that becoems a Wildcard slot where the team captain can fill it with anybody qualified for that regional. (There would still
be a requirement of 8(?) different styles on a team.

- Team limit still is 2, but for small teams, if everyone who wants a slot on the team has at least one warrior maybe we can up it to 3? I am worried about some of the smaller teams filling for next time and don't want to punish the active managers from those regions.

- Skill Buffing? In the old regional contests, Home Guard warriors used to be buffed to provide a more even playing field.
It wasn't done this time due to time constraints and because of the format, a lot of inexperienced warriors were sent and HG
would have killed all of the guys? I was thinking maybe we could max all of the unmaxxed warriors in skills? Something like
that would give them a fighting chance against all of the Eligible/Inducted warriors in the class, but they would still likely lose.

- Team Captains? Captains were chosen based on seniority in the arena for the most part. (With me being the only captain who didn't have seniority tenure in his regional) Don't think anyone had any problem with the captains, all of the captains were good about including as much people as they could. Once we know when the next one is going to be, the arena itself can decide who they want.

- Format? I don't want to turn this into a regular triple elimination tourney like the mail-ins otherwise, there would be no
difference, but I was thinking maybe we could add a loser's bracket and do some sort of points system or something. It would still
be heavily weighted towards the person/team that won I think. Lee ended up decided how the matchup program/bracket would work. I wasn't too fond of the first round match ups being pretty much all of the upper ranked people grouped together, but in general, because you couldn't match up with someone from your team, I liked that part, it rewarded the deeper teams and allowed warriors from the same region to serve as each other's wingmen rather than just being an individual contest....

- Results. Did the way the results and fights were posted online work for everyone? I thought it was the coolest thing about
the contest personally. We got a chance to cheer for our regional teammates and see who everyone was fighting.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Lee ended up decided how the matchup program/bracket would work. I wasn't too fond of the first round match ups being pretty much all of the upper ranked people grouped together, but in general, because you couldn't match up with someone from your team, I liked that part, it rewarded the deeper teams and allowed warriors from the same region to serve as each other's wingmen rather than just being an individual contest....

Lee's match ups were my favorite part. Having warriors matched up based on recognition points made every fight exciting and competitive. It also gave the weaker teams a chance to win some fights and progress in the tournament despite having no skill buffing or leveling of the playing field.

Quote:
- Skill Buffing? In the old regional contests, Home Guard warriors used to be buffed to provide a more even playing field. It wasn't done this time due to time constraints and because of the format, a lot of inexperienced warriors were sent and HG would have killed all of the guys? I was thinking maybe we could max all of the unmaxxed warriors in skills? Something like that would give them a fighting chance against all of the Eligible/Inducted warriors in the class, but they would still likely lose.

If the match up system continues to be the same, I don't see a need for this. Since the tournament is about fun and encouraging regional participation, I don't think it matters that Home Guard is at a huge disadvantage. In fact, they'll still be at a huge disadvantage if you do this, only then their victories would seem hollow. Beating the pants off Crysalis au naturel is all the victory that Home Guard needs, in my opinion.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whole thing was fine - except the results!

Every 2 years.

Whatever changes make it easier for Lee to make it happen in a reasonably timely fashion

The newsletter format and the advance notices were excellent

We would advise Home Guard (Who beat the pants off Crysalis.) to beware what's in the pants.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

FYI, we're looking at Fall 2011, for the next one, so you have over a year warning! Get your off-styles into position now!
Kellumbo
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
FYI, we're looking at Fall 2011, for the next one, so you have over a year warning! Get your off-styles into position now!

That's kinda a bummer. I was really hoping this could be a yearly thing. Any idea why it was decided to go every two years?

-DK
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Missed this thread when Dwayne posted it originally...

Every 2 years is cool. It makes it more novel and interesting when it rolls around. Plus we should be able to give managers plenty of time to move to the regionals.

I know in Free Blades we had a hard time filling all the style slots and had to draft warriors to get everything ironed out. Being able to field 3 warriors from any one manager would help that somewhat. But we definitely don't want one or two guys hogging all the slots.

I like the idea of being able to have more wild cards if one manager has too many stylemasters. It should allow for more participation.

I liked the matchup system. It definitely made it possible for some underdogs to win a couple of fights.

And the online posting was cool. It was fun to be able to check out all the fights.

All in all it's great that this old tradition was brought back and I look forward to next time!

the Dark One
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I missed this too. I thought it was awesome. I'm with OAB on the skill buffing too, I don't think it is necessary as long as Lee keeps the match up system the same.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
That's kinda a bummer. I was really hoping this could be a yearly thing. Any idea why it was decided to go every two years?

RSI's Time basically. Plus just to make it a bigger "event' and prevent burnout. It gives RSI a chance to run an "off-event" in between regional tourney years. I don't know if anything is happening this year--maybe with the opening of the new RP arena? (If it ever opens)

Seems like everyone liked the match up program so we'll just leave it.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic