New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - My Tournament (Spoilers abound)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which was the other prize modified AB winning the rookies?

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LHI wrote:
Which was the other prize modified AB winning the rookies?

Are you claiming your own Cat's Meow wasn't modified? Almost unhittable open-handed aimed blow who finished rookies with master in attack and defense?
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not claiming I am telling you. Totally natural for the rookies.

Picking the correct warriors and running them well is the secret sauce.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I'm not drunk and tend to agree with Hombre here. Since I'm not drunk, I had a heart and edited my post.
Grimm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The biggest problem I have with sending this money is with all that info you cannot focus.

The game had refined soo much, you need to catch the nuances. This is something I lack, as I play as a hobby. I try but am not really a huge statistical guy. I more or less look at a warriors knack. How can you see that in 200 rookies.

Spend as much as you like, as long as you are having fun. We like helping this game continue; however, make sure you are enjoying it. Success will come, but it is a steep uphill battle in the beginning.

This prize is a great fun one. You have to know though it may turn into a team of crap.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Between crappy rollups and warriors rolling up crappily I can usually find one guy to run in 5-10 rollups.

That number should be closer to 1-2 than 5-10. If you're that high, you're also inefficient, but in a different way.

In any case, we've all warned Vhagar about the danger of burn out--but if he says quantity isn't an issue, then don't we have to believe him? Otherwise, you're just trying to legislate someone else's fun--what's fun for you isn't the same as it is for someone else.

That said, there is merit that you lose some granularity in terms of performance when you run so many warriors. There are always around that though...everyone needs to be able to try their own approach when it comes to try and getting to the top.

Last edited by Managerr on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Action
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

LHI wrote:

Sounds a little crazy at first but the properly bonused warrior with the right learns is going to do it. Still in the wrong match up with the wrong roll of the dice even a warrior like that can lose (or preferably for most everyone else, die Twisted Evil ).

Il Malvagio 32
The Fallen Angels 28

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Action wrote:
LHI wrote:

Sounds a little crazy at first but the properly bonused warrior with the right learns is going to do it. Still in the wrong match up with the wrong roll of the dice even a warrior like that can lose (or preferably for most everyone else, die Twisted Evil ).

Everyone's matchups do play a huge role, but the above statements are right on. I learned Vhagar's lesson a short while after coming back, too, but on a lesser scale then that. Same result though, big tourney (for me) and very surprising, depressingly crappy results. Now I only send what I can afford, have some limited goals in mind, and try to have fun and learn something to get better, too. Of course it's still depressing to lose, but it's not that gut-punch feeling you're dealing with. And when you do win, it's all good!

The tourney game is I believe MUCH more finely focused now, at ALL levels, by the managers that really do it well, and augment it with prizes, and it's very hard to get by them until you're one of them. Guys like Trip only send a few but those few COUNT. And he's the tip of the iceberg, I wouldn't count him as a full-time tourney guy by any means.

His advice was good, step back, take a breath or two, re-evaluate your roster over time, decide how you want to proceed, and then go for it. But don't quit! Good luck and keep swingin'!

Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Elephant wrote:
Well I'm not drunk and tend to agree with Hombre here. Since I'm not drunk, I had a heart and edited my post.

I went to sleep with your original post on my brain. It's funny that I've been an internet geek from back in the old BBS days, but I have remarkably thin skin, so I typically avoid anything resembling conflict on the the internet. Which is why I so regret having posted this venting thread and wish it could just be deleted.

I tell you this though, today I realized that if some guy put 5 to 10x the number of warriors I ran in a class I'd absolutely be rooting for him to lose. I'd have difficulty propping him up in a vent thread.
Khisanth
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We all want you around!!! You bring free cookies!!!! Smile
Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Khisanth wrote:
We all want you around!!! You bring free cookies!!!! Smile

And we want you, because you pay for parking! Smile
GreekGuy
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey we always root for the underdog. I personally dont mind how many you send. Its more enjoyable to me if I send 10 rookies and get 2 TV's and another guys send 100 and only gets two as well. I feel like I out managed them pretty well. Its all about what your comfortable with. If you felt like you can handle 50 rookies run 50. I personally can't do that many as my brain gets fried and I end up making silly mistakes. No one wants to see you leave so we always warn returning players about burnout...come in like a ball of fire running tons of guys and 1 year later being exhausted of the game from either not enought success or just being overloaded and burned out from filling our so many sheets and recording all the skills etc. We can have a few cold ones in Milwaukee and that'll make everything better Smile
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have no problem propping you up in a thread, or calling you a friend. admittedly, it can stoke a bit of envy when someone can put that kind of money into the game. but having met you in person, i can attest that you're a solid dude. and i can empathize with your plight. some of the comments have been enlightening, some a bit rude. some people just like being assholes. pay them no mind.

i won't patronize you with my "take" on the tournament game other than to say this: knack, learns and the ability to make objective cuts to your roster are key. stats are not important.

just have fun bro. if you can afford to send 10X more than most others, so what??? there are wealthy players and and there are lower middle class players. we all have an addiction to feed.

take it easy.

mike

Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If anyone knows where I can purchase an Ooompa Loopa though, please let me know.
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vhagar wrote:
If anyone knows where I can purchase an Ooompa Loopa though, please let me know.

You can buy one at Ben's Bazaar, I have been considering whether or not to fight him, Mr. Oompa Loompa is most eager to please Very Happy

Oh, and I have a few Smurfs left over but I just sold my last Smurfbane to Mr. Archelf Wink

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic