New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Turn 133
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well another 4-1 for the Warmasters, which I will take. I am not starting this thread to gloat however. I am starting this thread due to our beloved Shadowspire being down to 17 teams, of which only 15 were active. I personally find this extremely concerning.

Does anybody have any idea why it has been shrinking of late? Any suggestions on how to pump the attendance numbers back up?

I truely hope things rebound soon. Due to my dislike of hidden FE and low desire to participate in tourney's, changing arena's isn't much of an option for me. It would be shame if I am forced to retire before I am ready because this arena simply keeps shrinking. It was the large amount of teams, massive amounts of personal ads, and the whole no-tourney twist that made me love this arena. It would be unfortunate if it ceased to exist.

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been busy tourney prepping , but the Mothership should show its head again before the Mail In.

My focus is more on tourney play so for me when my money is stretched , 81 is one of the first arenas that get put on hold.
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just making some general observations here about 81 as the arena historian and one of the founding teams in the arena.

1) It is a concept arena. Not everyone is going to buy into the concept. The novelty has worn off after a few years - so only those committed to the idea are going to keep moving forward with it. It still is no-tourney. It is still one of the larger arenas in the game.

2) No-Tourney managers in general have worked up a very NEGATIVE reputation with many of the other D2 managers. When you whine about about even the smallest infraction, no one is going to care or listen when the wolf actually shows up on the scene.

3) How many people that have complained about the state of the arena have done something about it? Otto, Grimm, LP, and myself wrote personal ads this time out. I counted 4 others that posted on the D2 forums about the arena's Turn 132, but none of which wrote a personal ad. Over half the fights were challenges, so I know people are paying attention. If you have the time to fill out turn sheets, you generally have the 2 extra minutes it takes to email some personal ads into HAL.

Yes, I know ____________'s life is busy -- so is mine. However, if you are telling me you don't have 5 minutes to spare for an email, I'm going to call foul on that one. Just man or woman up and say it wasn't a priority in my week and I didn't get it done.

There is more I want to say, and I may later, but I'm going to stop here and see if I can't stop fuming a bit.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read and understand your post Darque, but one particular line has left me confused..."When you whine about about even the smallest infraction, no one is going to care or listen when the wolf actually shows up on the scene." What is this in regards too?

"How many people that have complained about the state of the arena have done something about it?" I guess my question to you is, what can be done about it? That was the whole premise for my post. I love this arena and want it to thrive, but am unsure what we (or even just I ) can do to assist in that. If you have suggestions, I am certainly all ears. Your suggestion to make it a priority to keep posting personals is a good one that I will attempt to make a better effort to do. But in the big scheme of things, I think this will have a very minimal impact.

"There is more I want to say, and I may later, but I'm going to stop here and see if I can't stop fuming a bit." Fuming? Are you angry about something? I hope it wasn't my post that upset you. I am merely trying to "rally the troops" so to speak and maybe come up with some suggestions to give Shadowspire a little boost.

I am eager to hear your additional thoughts.

theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Outsider viewpoint here, I don't play in 81 nor would I ever:

I think his point is that a number of the 81 crew have been mentioning lately that participation is dropping off, but yet there are few or no personals each turn.

I had made the comment to Darque on chat that 81 looks to have degenerated into a boring, overloaded arena with no personals, columns, etc. Just apathy.

If you guys want your arena to be fun, continue to flow and have good participation, you'll want to liven things up.

And that's up to every one of you...

Now removing nose from other people's business...

the Dark One
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Terminator wrote:
I read and understand your post Darque, but one particular line has left me confused..."When you whine about about even the smallest infraction, no one is going to care or listen when the wolf actually shows up on the scene." What is this in regards too?

This refers to the HOF and anytime someone dares breathe the word contest. People can't just take something for what it is -- fun. The HOF that Elephant, Visionist, and (someone who is escaping me at the moment) wanted to introduce was met with guffaws and negativity -- even though it did NOTHING to change the game elements of 81. No one has mentioned the word contest in 81 for a while, but just watch next time and you'll see the fangs come out.

Quote:
"How many people that have complained about the state of the arena have done something about it?" I guess my question to you is, what can be done about it? That was the whole premise for my post. I love this arena and want it to thrive, but am unsure what we (or even just I ) can do to assist in that. If you have suggestions, I am certainly all ears. Your suggestion to make it a priority to keep posting personals is a good one that I will attempt to make a better effort to do. But in the big scheme of things, I think this will have a very minimal impact.

Promote, Promote, Promote! And when you get tired of promoting, promote some more! Where would anything in this world be if someone stopped the first time someone said no or not interested?

As to personal ads, it is not as minimal as you might think. I don't have any concrete data on this, but I bet the first thing people look at when they see an arena is the # of teams. Second to that I'm going to guess it is personal ads. I personally am more likely to choose an arena with more personals than one with more teams, but that is just me and I know that doesn't apply to everyone. However, the social aspect of the game is important to many people -- even many of us that aren't Andorians.

Quote:
"There is more I want to say, and I may later, but I'm going to stop here and see if I can't stop fuming a bit." Fuming? Are you angry about something? I hope it wasn't my post that upset you. I am merely trying to "rally the troops" so to speak and maybe come up with some suggestions to give Shadowspire a little boost.

I am eager to hear your additional thoughts.

No, you're post just prompted me to put it in writing, been fuming to others for a while now, mainly on the Chatzy channel.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

theDarkOne wrote:
Outsider viewpoint here, I don't play in 81 nor would I ever:

I think his point is that a number of the 81 crew have been mentioning lately that participation is dropping off, but yet there are few or no personals each turn.

I had made the comment to Darque on chat that 81 looks to have degenerated into a boring, overloaded arena with no personals, columns, etc. Just apathy.

If you guys want your arena to be fun, continue to flow and have good participation, you'll want to liven things up.

And that's up to every one of you...

Now removing nose from other people's business...

the Dark One

No, you are absolutely correct (about livening things up) and I respect your opinion. But I don't think the most recent string of diminishing Personal ads is the problem. The arena had tons on ads in the very recent past and attendance numbers had already been drooping a bit before that. It was the loss of the Ads tab recently on the forums that created the drop off in the personal ads. Before that, the personal ads were thriving.

theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ads@reality.com

Here DM 81 guys - is that so hard?
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My contribution to the arena this turn was fights, challenges, personal ads, and trying to start a feud with Sherman and Literate Loons.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I would like to note that I did send in ads to the email in the above post for this turn. My ads for arena 21 showed up, but those for 81 did not. I even got a confirmation email. I sent them on Tuesday so perhaps they were a bit late in the day and will show in next turns newsletter. But using the site link I have sent them that late in the past. Who knows? But I did try. For the first 125 turns or so I probably missed ads twice. Lately things have been harder, but I made a conscious effort to get them in this time. I will do so again next turn.

I think any concept arena is likely to have some friction - we all like the concept, but we might have a slightly different feel for exactly what that means. I know I have seen that here before - and have sometimes been one of those with a vision for what the arena means.

As for the turn itself, I appear to doing my part to recruit people by giving away free wins. 1-4. Ouch. But one loss was in the DA, so that was expected. Still, 1-3 is hardly exciting. Here's hoping for a quality replacement.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am definately staying in 81. And I definately have NOT been a big contributor lately. I have issued a single bloodfued in a long long time. I blame no one but myself.

This is the only place I am playing duelmasters at the moment and I will continue to do so. As is usual my desire for playing comes and goes. It is at a low phase right now so I busy playing HW until my interest peaks back up then I will be back in tourneys and other arenas with a bang I am sure.

I went 2-2-0-1 this turn and lost my basher Nikus.

11-4-14-11-17-16-11, Norm/Good, 17/9/18/5/8/23. Definately a decise favorite and used the QS like a champ. A warrior I was going to DA but the first 2 fights he like 5 decise and what you gonna do then? Gotta keep him!

I will make an honest effort to get back on track in the arena. The ads not being online was definately NOT an excuse for me, I just didn't do it. I will try to get better. Love it here still and don't want to see it drop off.

gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just my 2 cents worth, but gauging off the past couple years, arena participation seems to have a corrilation with forum participation. I think if you are more vocale in the forums as well as the PAs the better participation you will have in your arena. Get the populace thinking Shadowspire between turns Wink

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just my 2 cents worth, but gauging off the past couple years, arena participation seems to have a corrilation with forum participation. I think if you are more vocale in the forums as well as the PAs the better participation you will have in your arena. Get the populace thinking Shadowspire between turns Wink

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:

And when are you coming back Ben? Wink

Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PA's Done. Turn Sheets, in the mailbox!

First time I have actually used the USPS in about 2 years.

Hah!

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum