New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - More good books
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got done reading two books back to back by English author Joe Abercrombie, "Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes."

If you like GRRM's gritty, more adult style of fantasy you've got to read these. Probably even more dark and violent but with fantastic characters, incredible action/battle scenes, and a great storyline that keeps moving.
I sort of read these out of order, since he has a trilogy that came out first, set in the same world, and with some cross-overs with certain characters apparently, but nothing major. Either of the above can be read as a stand-alone novel, which they were meant to be. I'm tackling the trilogy next, beginning with "The Blade Itself." Enjoy!

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And, allow us to recommend
The Hunger Games (trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins
movie (1st) comes out this Summerish

this is our 2nd reading - better the 2nd time!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds great! I have been looking into starting a new series! I wanted to try the hunger games and am not sure if they would be my cup of tea.

I will definately check out Abercrombie's stuff, this is the second time I have heard great things.

FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
Just got done reading two books back to back by English author Joe Abercrombie, "Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes."

If you like GRRM's gritty, more adult style of fantasy you've got to read these. Probably even more dark and violent but with fantastic characters, incredible action/battle scenes, and a great storyline that keeps moving.
I sort of read these out of order, since he has a trilogy that came out first, set in the same world, and with some cross-overs with certain characters apparently, but nothing major. Either of the above can be read as a stand-alone novel, which they were meant to be. I'm tackling the trilogy next, beginning with "The Blade Itself." Enjoy!

Great books Stik.... Even tho Heroes and Best served cold are stand alone books ... They loosely tie in with The Blade Itself... Highly recommend reading those first for anyone picking it up.

Glotka and Nine Fingers are 2 of the coolest characters in fantasy lit. Like Stik , I can't recommend these books enough for those that enjoyed GRRM
Chief
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:
Sounds great! I have been looking into starting a new series! I wanted to try the hunger games and am not sure if they would be my cup of tea.

I will definately check out Abercrombie's stuff, this is the second time I have heard great things.

you will fly through the Hunger Games - believe I read each one in about 5-6 hours

Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games movie comes out on March 23rd. We're taking a couple busloads of students from my school to see it.

Didn't know anyone on the D2 forums read Young Adult Literature. If you liked The Hunger Games, you should read The Maze Runner trilogy, Divergent (Veronica Roth), Unwind (Neal Shusterman) and Legend (Marie Lu).
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games movie comes out on March 23rd. We're taking a couple busloads of students from my school to see it.

Didn't know anyone on the D2 forums read Young Adult Literature. If you liked The Hunger Games, you should read The Maze Runner trilogy, Divergent (Veronica Roth), Unwind (Neal Shusterman) and Legend (Marie Lu).

We believe The Hunger Games are a weak fit for the young adult category.They are as good as anything "adultish" out there.

But, Scruffy Puff, our eldest daughter is an 8th grade teacher, with emphasis in Literature. Guess who gave us the books?

I will also definitely see the ovie.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

We believe The Hunger Games are a weak fit for the young adult category.They are as good as anything "adultish" out there.

But, Scruffy Puff, our eldest daughter is an 8th grade teacher, with emphasis in Literature. Guess who gave us the books?

The Hunger Games has a teenage protagonist, mostly teenage supporting characters, and the author wrote it FOR teenagers. I think it fits extremely well in the Young Adult Literature category in which it's been placed. It definitely has mass appeal, though, like Harry Potter or Twilight -- only better.

It doesn't surprise me at all that your daughter, who recommended the book, teaches 8th grade. I teach mostly 9th graders (English Lit and Comp), and I've taught The Hunger Games each of the last three years. The first year I taught it, none of my students had even heard of it. Last year, a handful had read it prior to 9th grade. This year, about half. I'm teaching Divergent next year. lol.

In which state does your daughter teach?
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
The Consortium wrote:

The Hunger Games has a teenage protagonist, mostly teenage supporting characters, and the author wrote it FOR teenagers. I think it fits extremely well in the Young Adult Literature category in which it's been placed. It definitely has mass appeal, though, like Harry Potter or Twilight -- only better.

It doesn't surprise me at all that your daughter, who recommended the book, teaches 8th grade. I teach mostly 9th graders (English Lit and Comp), and I've taught The Hunger Games each of the last three years. The first year I taught it, none of my students had even heard of it. Last year, a handful had read it prior to 9th grade. This year, about half. I'm teaching Divergent next year. lol.

In which state does your daughter teach?

Liberty, Missouri

Chief
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
by Suzanne Collins

one of my best friends is a 5th grade teacher and we have the same taste in books - she got me to read Potter, The Giver and Holes - she's been after me for 2+ years to read The Hunger Games which i finally did the week before the face

I will have to ask her if she's read any of the ones on your list - was Legend turned into a movie with Tom Cruise? (I keed, I keed)

Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?
Andarus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another good YA series is Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. It's not quite up to the level of the Hunger Games series, but it's good.
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
by Suzanne Collins

Just got back from watching The Hunger Games. Thought it was great. Hard to condense an entire novel into two hours of film without leaving things out, but this was among the better book-to-film adaptations I've seen in a while. In fact, it's is the best adaptation I've seen since Winter's Bone (coincidentally, also starring Jennifer Lawrence).

If you haven't seen it yet, you should check it out.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
Scruffy Puff wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
by Suzanne Collins

Just got back from watching The Hunger Games. Thought it was great. Hard to condense an entire novel into two hours of film without leaving things out, but this was among the better book-to-film adaptations I've seen in a while. In fact, it's is the best adaptation I've seen since Winter's Bone (coincidentally, also starring Jennifer Lawrence).

If you haven't seen it yet, you should check it out.

My daughter and I finally hooked up and saw Hunger Games.
GREAT!
Jennifer Lawrence is a terrific actor.
Some minor differences and timings compared to books.
A darker (but appropriate) movie than we expected.
To really understand some of the movie subleties, one has to have read the books.

SEE IT!

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Got the new Joe Abercrombie book, Red Country, for Christmas, just finished and it absolutely lives up to all the previous books! Some familiar faces pop up in this one as well! This guy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors, hope he keeps writing!

Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

While waiting for stuff to come in I ran out of reading material so went to the library looking for some "Brain Candy". Stuff like Drizzt stuff or Dragonlance type books. Nothing deep.

I ran into Larry Correia - Monster Hunter Series.

Monster Hunter International
Monster Hunter Vendetta
Monster Hunter Alpha

Those are the ones I read and I am waiting for the fourth to get to the library.

I was really impressed and dove through the 3 books they had in about 4 days. Really good stuff if you like monsters and guns and some really fun action.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic