New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Winner Styles (SPOILERS)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it almost happened, AB Domination from top to bottom.

11 Awards, 8 AB Winners with Rookies and Apprentice going to TP and ST respectively. Challengers went to a TP that beat an AB.

Just change the name of the game to Aimed Blow or bust!

Chief
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

not much of a surprise based on the prizes that have been awarded over the past few years

Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is too bad that there isn't more parity among the different fighting styles.

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(edit)

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Street_Legal on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Will an 8 of 11 be enough for us to see that "test arena" that we talked about during chat? Only time will tell.

Rather than nerfing I'd rather see ideas for improving a style to bring up the level playing field. Reason being if we fix ABs downward we go back to LU and AB domination. If we see some "fixes" for each style to make every style more viable I believe you would better improve the entire game and may lure business back in the process Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Of course fixing weapons will make the first, possibly largest, biggest difference.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chief is right, with the super team and frankenstein's that were offered, what did everyone expect? Were they going to be turning those super-warriors into Pikers and Bashers?!?! I don't think so.

Upper game has been broke since the AB bug was exploited. Basic game will even out once again when all the super-prizes bleed through the ranks.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Rather than nerfing I'd rather see ideas for improving a style to bring up the level playing field. Reason being if we fix ABs downward we go back to LU and AB domination. If we see some "fixes" for each style to make every style more viable I believe you would better improve the entire game and may lure business back in the process Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Of course fixing weapons will make the first, possibly largest, biggest difference.

The problem with not nerfing is that the bare-handed AB defense bonus is so big that it makes them unhittable for even themselves. So long as they are unhittable nothing else matters.

I still say alot of the huge defense bonus comes from the bare-handed AB's being able to fight totally un-encumbered. How about next FtF run the Primus tourney with a special rule where all warriors have to wear a minimal of a leather cap and see if that little bit of weight makes a difference.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:
Street_Legal wrote:
Rather than nerfing I'd rather see ideas for improving a style to bring up the level playing field. Reason being if we fix ABs downward we go back to LU and AB domination. If we see some "fixes" for each style to make every style more viable I believe you would better improve the entire game and may lure business back in the process :!: :!: :!:

The problem with not nerfing is that the bare-handed AB defense bonus is so big that it makes them unhittable for even themselves. So long as they are unhittable nothing else matters.

I still say alot of the huge defense bonus comes from the bare-handed AB's being able to fight totally un-encumbered. How about next FtF run the Primus tourney with a special rule where all warriors have to wear a minimal of a leather cap and see if that little bit of weight makes a difference.

Some of these open handed ABs actually run with some armor (the ADM TC come to mind, and some basic ones I saw), so I don't believe this will solve the problem.

The problem (besides the fact that nobody designed the game to last 30 years) is not the natural ABs, in my opinion. Natural ABs can be beaten by natural LUs, natural SLs, etc. Of the Contenders, Eligibles, ADM, Champions, Adepts, and Initiates TCs, I'm pretty sure there was something like 2 Frankenstein, 2 DYO, and 2 Team Stat-switch, with other prizes added on top.

Lee seems to be aware that some prizes are unbalancing and appears to be taking steps to fix it. She also seems to be aware of the "AB problem". I suspect she is already tweaking things slowly, but its hard to notice it because of the herd mentality of the Duel2 community. 177 of 523 Rookies were ABs (fully 1/3). Probably more than 90% of prizes get placed on or used to create ABs. Even if the programming had been changed (and I noticed ABs getting tired more quickly this tourney, for what that's worth), when 1/3 of the warriors are ABs and almost all of the prize modified warriors are, they are still going to win most of the TCs, even if they are on a more level playing field.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I'm content to wait and see how things play out once these uber prizes filter out of basic. I ran a very diverse squad (no more than one warrior of each style in a given class), had a blast with a 55% win/loss percentage and got 5 of 57 warriors into the run-offs. I ended up with only 3 awards (a TP, a PS, and a SL), but that is because I had a SL die in a finals fight and an AB die after round 11 as well.

Just my two cents, of course.

I am happy that people care enough to offer suggestions about how to fix things and I hope that Lee reads them and considers them.
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Visionst01 wrote:
Street_Legal wrote:

Some of these open handed ABs actually run with some armor (the ADM TC come to mind, and some basic ones I saw), so I don't believe this will solve the problem.

The problem (besides the fact that nobody designed the game to last 30 years) is not the natural ABs, in my opinion. Natural ABs can be beaten by natural LUs, natural SLs, etc. Of the Contenders, Eligibles, ADM, Champions, Adepts, and Initiates TCs, I'm pretty sure there was something like 2 Frankenstein, 2 DYO, and 2 Team Stat-switch, with other prizes added on top.

Lee seems to be aware that some prizes are unbalancing and appears to be taking steps to fix it. She also seems to be aware of the "AB problem". I suspect she is already tweaking things slowly, but its hard to notice it because of the herd mentality of the Duel2 community. 177 of 523 Rookies were ABs (fully 1/3). Probably more than 90% of prizes get placed on or used to create ABs. Even if the programming had been changed (and I noticed ABs getting tired more quickly this tourney, for what that's worth), when 1/3 of the warriors are ABs and almost all of the prize modified warriors are, they are still going to win most of the TCs, even if they are on a more level playing field.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I'm content to wait and see how things play out once these uber prizes filter out of basic. I ran a very diverse squad (no more than one warrior of each style in a given class), had a blast with a 55% win/loss percentage and got 5 of 57 warriors into the run-offs. I ended up with only 3 awards (a TP, a PS, and a SL), but that is because I had a SL die in a finals fight and an AB die after round 11 as well.

Just my two cents, of course.

I am happy that people care enough to offer suggestions about how to fix things and I hope that Lee reads them and considers them.

Well said and I agree completely with your thoughts.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Visionst01 wrote:
Street_Legal wrote:

I suspect she is already tweaking things slowly, but its hard to notice it because of the herd mentality of the Duel2 community. .

Alright through all the years I have been insulted quite often but OAB you have finally crossed the line and I MUST call you out for it and defend my reputation vigorously. I think I can do this in one single word so here it is:

MOO! Laughing

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OAB, we admire your optimism and patience.

We agree Lee recognizes it.

The actual larger-than-usual tournament entries and Face participants, in a way, indicates that most have taken the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality.

Personally, we would like to be optimistic, and BELIEVE, but time is running out on our candle, and we suspect that nothing much of value will change in the near future.

Meanwhile, I will keep plugging along, working the other styles, keeping the candle lit, and enjoying the game and comraderie.

And we would like to add that WE HATE AIMERS AND THE WHOLE AIMER THING. KILL 'EM ALL!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We would also like to congratulate TUM (new name MAB = Mr. Aimed Blow) for his dominating 5 TC performance. Well done, Don, you cretin!)

We do salute TUM for his record-setting performance.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
TUM
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, Wayne! To be fair, I won Rookies with a very average Striker. No comment on the others...
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It was a great time in Philly .....

Great dinner Friday night at Butcher and Singers ..... nice to see a dozen Duel nerds chowing on steaks.

The tourney itself was also a blast ... great to see so many people make it out. I ended up running exactly 80 warriors and finished with a 304-233 record ( 57%) ... Finished the tourney with 3 7-3's , 8 TV's , and a TC.

Had the champs runner up and won the ADM title.

Honestly the highlight for me was having my alliance mate Talon show up and participate after a 6 year hiatus. He ended up getting 2 warriors out of the Bloodgames and is going to be making a full time return.

Can't wait to see everyone in Tempe!!!!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TUM wrote:
Thank you, Wayne! To be fair, I won Rookies with a very average Striker. No comment on the others...

He was an aimed-blow at heart. Rolling Eyes

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic