New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Manager's FtF Journal (Philly 2012)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Manager's FtF Journal
----------------------------------
Pre-FtF. Arrived in Philly on Thursday afternoon, my plane coming out of O'Hare was late, I don't know what I was thinking when I booked it, flights out of OHare are always late. Fortunately, TGG
was already there and so was Deep Thought, who we had never met before. The Embassy Suites was right near the hotel, which made shuttles nice, even though there was nothing really in the area. It was a decently nice place. There was a large court yard, complete with ponds, which housed real live ducks. (I thought it was a nice touch) The room was already set up for us and they allowed us to check in early. After that, TGG, Deep Thought and myself went to Ruby Tuesdays and ate a (relatively healthy) lunch.

After that, I took a nap and then went out in the afternoon to hang out with more of the crew who was arriving. Off the top of my head, Grimm, Rascally Rabbit (and wife) and Reaper were also there. The RSI ladies came soon after and all of us went to Morimoto's (of Iron Chef fame) Restaurant. The food was pretty amazing. Everyone's dinner looked fantastic. We were there pretty late overall, it was well after midnight after we arrived back to the hotel. I went to bed shortly after that, not sure if anyone stayed up....

Friday morning---Rillion arrives at a ridiculously early time and complains he didn't get any sleep. (That's what you get for taking the overnight flight...) Breakfast in the morning and no sign of RSI until the afternoon. The convention size was normal the same size that we have in Embassy Suites in Tempe. Not enough room, but at least they gave us a lot of tables this time. It was a little bit worrisome when there was only one power outlet in the entire room, but they had someone wire up power strips throughout the room so that everyone could plug into their outlets. I think RSI was there around 2:00? But there was an issue getting toner cartridges or something and they couldn't print anything. It was late afternoon before people were able to buy roll-ups.

People start arriving through the afternoon. A lot of the regular FtF participants plus a few extra. I already mentioned Deep Thought, who was making his first FtF. There was also Madwand, who hadn't been to a FtF in a long long time (if ever) I don't think. And Talon Volksie who was returning after a 6 year hiatus.

I finally get my RU's and Bloodgames in and it was time for dinner at Butcher and Singer, a great steak place that Floyd recommend. I admit to being a little skeptical because I live in the heart of beef country, but I thought that my steak would definitely hold up to even the best joints here. I think half of the Friday arrivers ended up going to dinner, there were maybe 18 total in all? Several hours later, it was time to head back and my roll-ups are waiting for me when I get back. RSI was starting to have some connectivity problems at this point, which isn't a good thing. I'm done with submitting my rookies before midnight, but I'm still waiting on my Bloodgames. Because of the problems with Bloodgames, it is well after 2:00 AM before the darn things print and I don't get to bed until after 3:00 AM! I'm already exhausted on the first day and it wasn't a good thing with having to be up at 8:00.....

Saturday
--------------
RSI's connectivity issues continue throughout the night as neither Lee nor Sandy are able to sleep while trying to fix anything. The first turn is not out at 8:00 AM. Lee tells people to go eat breakfast for an hour or two and come back. Wish I knew it but I was already up and it was hard to go back to sleep for an indeterminate amount of time. I think it was maybe 10:30'ish? when the first turn was done printing? So we are behind schedule and because of server problems, they are unable to post the newsletters online. So people are having to search for warrior styles the old fashioned way like when they were on the table. I see that people on the forums and online are freaking at the lack of newsletters online. (Next time you guys should go to the FtF!)

Despite the late start, Sandy doesn't seem to be in a huge rush to catch up and we go on a fairly comfortable pace through most of the day. FTF Bloodgames can't get off the ground (presumably because of connectivity issues) Late afternoon, Lee arrives and the pace tends to quicken shortly after. No lunch break, but they announce a dinner break. Khisanth takes us to a really good, but really out of the way restaurant that one of TUM's relatives used to own. There was like a 30 minute wait to get in! Luckily I got back in time and didn't miss any turns!

We get back and my tourney was not going so well, I think my last undefeated dropped--it was the first time I remember at a FtF when I didn't have a single undefeated going ino the 2nd day. Hopefully things were going to turn around. I opted to not do the overnight turn and wake up early, because I really needed the sleep and was tired from not having much the night before.

Sunday:
-------------
Things are back on track Sunday and everything is back on schedule, with the exception of the FtF Bloodgames, which was on Turn 1. Things still feel like they are running on the slow side for me, as I'm usually finishing my turns with a lot of time to spare. No one really seemed to be holding up anything, just that it ran at a slower pace than I'm used to Sandy running things. It was well after noon before we even had started to go deep in to the run offs. My tourney itself had started to go a bit better than yesterday--I must have had a lot of fodder or something. Those that were left, seemed to win at a pretty decent pop....Soon it was time for the run offs to begin...and the drama would start...

Primus: It seemed that both Drat and Webbed Toes both drew good seeds at the same time, and that propelled TUM into the catbird's seat, a spot he would never relinquish. Drat and Webbed Toes eliminated all the other competition and cruised to the finals. A notable performance to the Lunger Jake the Dog, who ran a pretty impressive gauntlet just to TV.

Contenders: TMM dominates this class, with his 4 warriors squashing the other 4 TVs in round 12, eliminating the rest of the field in one fell swoop. After that, it was just a matter of him choosing
which of his warriors would win. Little Girl Crush gets the win here, leaving Dirty Zealot (who actually got killed by her own teammate) to fight another day.

Eligibles: No surprise on the Final 2 here. TMM's Mr. Gherkin, who was busting, went up against LHI's Burglar (Name Edited for content), who wasn't busting. It looked like it a potential upset was in the making for awhile as Burglar got the jump on Gherki and looked like he could win, but Gherkin adjusted and was able to take out Burglar to win another TC for TMM.

ADM: Floyd's Surfer Rosa, who I wasn't expecting to be busting, went up against TMM's Scootie Puff Jr. (Who everyone expected to bust...). I'd say Scootie was the higher profile warrior, but Surfer Rosa probably was a slight favorite. In the end, Floyd was able to pick up the TC in a rare TC fight loss for the TMM/TUM combo.

Freshmen: The favorite in this class, Segue, got two bizzarrre losses early. He almost recovered, but couldn't quite pull it out. In the end, it was Khisanth's Small Pox beating out Manager's perennial Freshmen bridesmaid, Imnota God in this class. I don't know what the runner-up record is for most times in a single class, but Imnota God has to be approaching it, if he's not there already. I think he's definitely got it if you throw out Primus.

Challengers: Found myself in another unexpected TC fight when Iron Shackle, OAB's Aimer killed TMM's Opal Ravioli deep in the Challengers. I was pretty terrified of the same thing when I saw the result, but hoped maybe AB magic would be able to hit that crazy TP. In the end I feel I ran the right strategy, just that TP was crazy. Oh well, Scomsss's Nightmare should be a favorite in Challengers in the future. (And I won't hesitate to use him in Freshmen if I see other people trying to sneak their AB's in post freeze)

Champs: One of the favorites, TUM's The Uptight Man found himself in the finals with Floyd's interesting Striker, Emerald Twist. Not much Twist could really do as Uptight Man was just a better warrior and won the TV.

Adepts: Similarly, TUM's heavy favorite AB, Meat, was able to cruise into the finals relatively unscathed. He killed the runner-up Slasher (belonging to OAB) in a dramatic fight. (Which technically makes Storm Lord's guy the new runner-up) At this point in the tourney all of the TC fight winners were coming from the left hand chair. This chair won the first 9 TC fights read. (Including the
double TC fights...)

Inits: This one seemed to be a little bit tougher for TUM as his warrior Pepp, went up against TMM's Striker, Yellow Lippy. Pepp still dominated most of the tourney, but from what I understand, he
had closer fights.

Apprentices: TMM's scum TP warrior defeated LHI's low ST Striker in a dramatic Apprentices finals that featured both of Creyn's warriors breaking. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think Creyn made a slight tactical error in not carrying that 2nd backup when he was going up against a scum.

Rookies: Finally, TUM closed the deal on a record-setting 5 TCs when his Striker, Eeriest Expectation, defeated Otto's Aeryn Sun, a Lunger in the finals. Sometimes, when you're hot you're hot, and
right now TUM is really really hot.

Quick Score Card:
Primus: TUM / TUM
Contenders: TMM / TMM
Eligibles: TMM / LHI
ADM: Floyd / TMM
Freshmen: Khisanth / Manager
Challenges: OAB / Manager
Champs: TUM / Floyd
Adepts: TUM / OAB (Storm Lord is the official RU)
Inits: TUM / TMM
Apps: TMM / LHI
Rookies: TUM / Otto

Lastly there was the grudge fights, where the make shift team of Consortium, Crip, Deep Thought, Otto, and Khisanth, upset BOB with a 13-7 score. Khisanth leads the way with an impressive 4-0 record.

In the battle for the BOB's Grand High Moose, Manager wins the competition, making him the new Grand High Moose! There will be changes in this joint, I just haven't figured out what they are yet!

Overall I had a good tourney. I only did a bare minimum amount of prep and sent tons of crap. It was probably a better tourney than I deserved. I had 6 TVs with 59 warriors and 2 Runner-Ups. Definitely not bad. Most people know I'm not a big fan of Philly--this FtF didn't really do anything to change it. The town seemed dirty and old, and just worn down and beaten up. There's lots of traffic, but doesn't seem to have a lot of the benefits of living in a bigger city. It was just ok. I would be happy to never come back here again. That said, I had a good time at the FtF and it was nice to see a lot of new and familiar faces. I apologize to those I didn't get to talk to a lot....I'll try to be in chat more as well now that I'm expecting life to settle down a little....

Talk of Atlanta (ugh) or next summer. Talk of ambi pots for next winter as well. We'll have to see what RSI comes up with! Good luck to all!
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Keep the talk of Atl up, it looks as though it will be the only way I can attend a F2F these days....unless some things change of course.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Keep the talk of Atl up, it looks as though it will be the only way I can attend a F2F these days....

Your name came up as one of the people who would like an Atlanta FtF.

But there are several cities within driving distance of Atlanta that you couldn't make it to?
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To be honest anywhere in the southeast would be great. In a years time who knows. But I can say that if my schedule doesnt change it would bemoree than a stretch on the pocet book,if ya know what Im sayin Sad

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
In the battle for the BOB's Grand High Moose, Manager wins the competition, making him the new Grand High Moose! There will be changes in this joint, I just haven't figured out what they are yet!

We could use some new furniture and a better selection of booze in the liquor cabinet.
GreekGuy
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No more booze, Rillion just gets us all in trouble when he has alcohol.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GreekGuy wrote:
No more booze, Rillion just gets us all in trouble when he has alcohol.

We were under the impression that alcohol wasn't necessary for that to regularly happen?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic