New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Next for Spider Silva? The Strikeforce champ?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hearing all this talk about Luke Rockhold lately and both Strikeforce and Silva's management want the fight to happen. Anyone seen this guy fight? I don't have Showtime so I haven't seen him. Considering we couldn't get Fedor into the UFC will roadblocks happen to block this fight?

The 2 names for Spider to fight next, other than Rockhold who has a lengthy Strikeforce contract I understand, are Hector Lombard (not ready) and Chris Weidman (a game fighter but not at Silva's level). Of the three who would MMA fans here like to see him fight next, or is there another name? (GSP Laughing )

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jon Jones would be the best match.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lombard is a can and just proved it. He fought low level competition on his way up. He just looks impressive.

Rockhold doesn't have a chance. I don't think anyone is on his level at the moment.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the only challenges, save a guy having a terrific night, may be GSP and Bones Jones. More likely Silva would go to lightweight (where he started his career) then seeing him go up and try to take on a long lanky striker who outweighs him and is brutally strong.

It's even hard to find a Rockhold fight on YouTube. Well a whole fight. I've heard the name for about 2 years but to finally hear it talked about at "these" heights made me want to look into him more.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which fighter is more dis-illusioned Silva or GSP?

GSP:

Rumors are, but GSP denies it, that he wants $50M to fight Silva. Reasoning is that his camp says he has about 10 fights left in him and he makes about $8M a fight. So that's about $80M. Not to mention all his endorsement deals that might walk away if he were to be manhandled by Silva. They, GSP's handlers, feel Silva could potentially seriously hurt him so to risk the remaining earning potential GSP has he'd want 50 Mill.

Spider:

Silva says if he were to fight Jon Jones he would want 50% of the UFC ownership. Dana White estimated recently that the UFC is worth $2.5B, maybe a bit much but who knows. So using White's estimate that would be $1.25B. Reasoning that he's, "Getting old and has about 5 fights left," that he needs to be able to fund outside planned projects, including opening a Gym in LA.

Does this mean both are scared, just being smart, or a mixture of both? White has said, in both cases, that they may both say "No, no, no," but his checkbook can make them both say, "Yes, yes, yes!"

After Cung Le put Rich Franklin to sleep, and beat Patrick Cote before that, is he ready for Silva? That is the fight I have wanted to see for quite a while. I realize Cung Le lost to Wanderlei but Franklin beat Wanderlei and then Le handled Franklin. Cung Le has phenomenal technique and power but seriously lacks a ground game. I think his unusual number of kicks, and where he throws them from (and the power they have, ask Shamrock's broken arm), could catch Spider off-guard. Many rank them #1 and #2 in striking in the weight division but I think Silva might be Le's first opponent who is smart and tries to take it to the ground. At 39 Le can only be doing this for one reason..... a title shot and unless someone beats Spider, don't see many that could do it right now, he'd have to take it from him!

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic