New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104524

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - What's Next for Star Wars?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently Lucas has sold to Disney and they are beginning to plan the next Trilogy. With Lucas out of the loop I'm not sure what to think of this. For those interested here's a story from Yahoo to wet (whet) your whistle.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/star-wars-returns-rumor-roundup-221654367.html

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's crazy that's for sure. As for Lucas being out of the loop, read the article carefully. He's writing the stories (or has already written them and they'll be using them) and will be a "consultant" on the films.

I just don't know WHY he sold the company. He can't possibly need the money, why would he want to give up any creative control over future projects if he didn't need to?

First the Hobbit "trilogy" now this....

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it says it will be based on treatments written by Lucas according to E!Online. He had 12 stories written (6 of them used already) and 7,8, and 9 had the most action. It also does go on to state plot lines and characters can come and go through time but will likely be based on the "Original Trio" going forward.

He may not need the money but $4Billion is hard to turn down, legacy or not. I hope the part in the story about Disney trying to recoup that huge payout won't lead to corny spinoffs but rather interesting and new movie lines..... IF they do more than just another Trilogy or two!

Yikes this could be GREAT or REALLY UGLY! Hold me I'm scared for my first great movie love (Star Wars... then Star Trek, Indiana Jones etc.) Laughing

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Everyone seems to focus on how this transaction will affect the Star Wars Franchise. While that may be the most important part of this sale, don't forget about the other franchises that belong to Lucasfilms. This is more than just Star Wars and I wouldn't be surprised to see more Indiana Jones films, albeit with a different main character (or at least another lead actor) and I would love to see another/updated/remake Goonies film.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If they do a great job on just the new Star Wars trilogy they could make all their money back right there. But will they...

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think its great.

Since George Lucas had said he won't make any more Star Wars films previously, it can only be a positive that Disney will. Either the new films will be entertaining and bring new fans into the Star Wars universe and provide me with additional hours of enjoyment, or the new films will suck and nothing will have been lost.

Either a win or a push!
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very true by all respondents. At least it is better than this interview in '99.

Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?
Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.

Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?

Lucas: No. They will not.

Q: So this trilogy ends it?
Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

Or this in 2008

Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Now we have this:

The Walt Disney Company announced a Star Wars Episode VII "targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga". Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger stated that Episode VII "will be followed by Episodes VIII and IX—and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years".

Oh no it's Friday the 13th Part 100 and Rocky 41 all over again Laughing

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Madwand wrote:
Everyone seems to focus on how this transaction will affect the Star Wars Franchise. While that may be the most important part of this sale, don't forget about the other franchises that belong to Lucasfilms. This is more than just Star Wars and I wouldn't be surprised to see more Indiana Jones films, albeit with a different main character (or at least another lead actor) and I would love to see another/updated/remake Goonies film.

C'mon what about Harrison Ford doing Indiana Jones and The Search for his Room in the Retirement Home? Followed by Indiana Jones and the Crystal Wheelchair?

Please don't remake Goonies.... maybe their later lives but I don't want to see it given the "Red Dawn" treatment... even if Red Dawn was filmed in Detroit.

Thomas Jefferson
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
I think its great.

Since George Lucas had said he won't make any more Star Wars films previously, it can only be a positive that Disney will. Either the new films will be entertaining and bring new fans into the Star Wars universe and provide me with additional hours of enjoyment, or the new films will suck and nothing will have been lost.

Either a win or a push!

I hope by new fans you mean just new fans and not a new demographic....the greatest thing, even though The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars, and The Revenge of the Sith didnt have the same feel as the old ones, was that Lucas was directly involved with them. What I will not like to see is a hipster direction or feel for one of the greatest stories of our time. But I am not altogether against them happening though....if its done right.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With that Avatar, Khorvinus, I was waiting for you to weigh in. You NAILED my fears EXACTLY! Well said!

Thomas Jefferson
Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm hoping that Disney sees some easy cash and releases a Blu-Ray of the original unmolested films, with the deleted scenes as extras. I want to see the movie I saw in the theater when I was eight years old, not Lucas' new-and-improved one where Greedo shoots first.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic