New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - NCAA 2012 Football
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah but the BCS is gone after this year anyways so the playoff system is almost perfect for super conferences.

I am SO glad the BCS is gone. Look at some of these issues:

1) Georgia Tech is 6-6 and in the ACC championship game so if they win a 7-6 team in a BCS bowl game.

2) UCLA v Stanford game meant if Stanford won a rematch of the game a week later (ugh). If UCLA was smart they lost on purpose, and not have to play Oregon, and try and show tendencies that they will purposely NOT use in the rematch.

3) No matter who wins with an undefeated Ohio State out there there is still a controversy over whether the best team won the National Title (hope that Gator Bowl last year was worth it because you'd probably be eligible this year had they decided to not go). On top of equal claims for Oregon, Florida, and Kansas State of not getting a shot.

4) In this system we were told a late loss hurts more than a early loss and yet that doesn't seem to include Alabama who lost AT HOME to a 2 loss team!

And if Johnny Manziel doesn't win the Heisman it will prove that many of the same people who vote team rankings are hypocrites because the only reason I see him not winning is that he's a Freshman.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wait. I bet a 3rd best team from the SEC will make the 4 team playoff. So basically the loser of the SEC Championship game or 2nd best team gets screwed out of a shot at the title.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Intriguing.
Exciting.
Variable.
Flawed like real life.

Gives everyone something to talk about!
Rolling Eyes

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was also overjoyed to see Jon Embree, after a 4-21 record and Colorado's worst season in 123 years (1-11) with horrible blowouts, play the race card. No better way to endear yourself towards getting another job then saying you "got a raw deal" and you know that "You", clarifying it to mean minorities, never get another shot. Had nothing to do with your being outscored 552-214 I'm sure. And certainly not for your 117th ranked offense and 121st ranked defense, out of 124, at a school with a proud Football tradition.

I don't mean to sound callous but be a man and don't make it harder for other minority coaches by playing the race card... take your $1.7M buyout and be happy!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is why the BCS is absolute horse crap.

Just because a team wins its conference champ game does NOT mean it is the best team in that conference.

Case in point.. Stanford (11-2) vs. Wisconsin (8-5)

Really? So Wisconsin gets a BCS game? Ugh..

Take the top 8 and make a freakin playoff. The TOP 8! Not the conference champs. The best 8 teams in the country regardless of conference.

This year (using the AP poll (minus Ohio State)) it would have been:

Notre Dame vs LSU (1 vs 8)
Alabama vs Stanford (2 vs 7)
Florida vs Kansas State (3 vs 6)
Oregon vs Georgia (4 vs 5)

All absolutely awesome games!

Instead we get to see Stanford vs Wisconsin, Florida vs Louisville, FSU vs Northern Illinois.. Ugh..

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:

Just because a team wins its conference champ game does NOT mean it is the best team in that conference.

Take the top 8 and make a freakin playoff. The TOP 8! Not the conference champs. The best 8 teams in the country regardless of conference.

Notre Dame vs LSU (1 vs 8 )

Instead we get to see Stanford vs Wisconsin, Florida vs Louisville, FSU vs Northern Illinois.. Ugh..

I'm rooting for Northern Illinois to scalp the Seminoles! Call me an underdog bandwagoner but Jordan Lynch has had a year equal (well truthfully better) to Collin Klein but probably will be lucky to get a single vote in the Heisman. Still think they'll find a way to NOT give it to Manziel just beacuse he's a Freshman (Redshirt or not). I saw a comparison of Manti Te'o to Charles Woodson (only defensive(ish) player to win the Heisman) and how Te'o's (ugh apostrophe city) numbers are FAR and away better so he should get the Heisman. WHAT A JOKE!!!!! They said Woodson only had 44 tackles to Te'o's 100-ish, and that he had only 1 less INT than Woodson; and besides they rarely threw to Woodson's side because he was one of the all-time best "lockdown corners"; Woodson also had 230 receiving yards and 2 TDs and 1 rushing TD and returned punts; 1 for a TD. But the show only compared the defensive stats and stated "This is why Te'o should win the Heisman Trophy but he probably will be overlooked!" Razz

Oh and why did Georgia get penalized for their "late loss" to the #2 1-loss team but Alabama didn't for a home loss to a 2-loss team? I know Trip must be happy because that means Florida gets the BCS bid, with the 2 team per conference rule, but Georgia beat Florida and nearly beat, should've beat, Alabama. Truth be told I'd prefer to see Oregon or Texas A&M play Notre Dame in the title game regardless of record or ranking.

Don't sleep on Wisconsin Trip they took the Huskers back to the woodshed, the game was not even as close as the 70-31 score Embarassed Laughing !

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Street_Legal on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Tripwire wrote:

Notre Dame vs LSU (1 vs 8 )

I'm rooting for Northern Illinois to scalp the Seminoles! Call me an underdog bandwagoner but Jordan Lynch has had a year equal (well truthfully better) to Collin Klein but probably will be lucky to get a single vote in the Heisman. Still think they'll find a way to NOT give it to Manziel just beacuse he's a Freshman (Redshirt or not). I saw a comparison of Manti Te'o to Charles Woodson (only defensive(ish) player to win the Heisman) and how Te'o's (ugh apostrophe city) numbers are FAR and away better so he should get the Heisman. WHAT A JOKE!!!!! They said Woodson only had 44 tackles to Te'o's 100-ish, they claimed he only had 1 INT like Te'o but I think he had 8; and besides they rarely threw to Woodson's side because he was one of the all-time best "lockdown corners"; Woodson also had 230 receiving yards and 2 TDs and 1 rushing TD and returned punts; 1 for a TD. But the show only compared the defensive stats and stated "This is why Te'o should win the Heisman Trophy but he probably will be overlooked!" :P

Oh and why did Georgia get penalized for their "late loss" to the #2 1-loss team but Alabama didn't for a home loss to a 2-loss team? I know Trip must be happy because that means Florida gets the BCS bid, with the 2 team per conference rule, but Georgia beat Florida and nearly beat, should've beat, Alabama. Truth be told I'd prefer to see Oregon or Texas A&M play Notre Dame in the title game regardless of record or ranking.

Don't sleep on Wisconsin Trip they took the Huskers back to the woodshed, the game was not even as close as the 70-31 score :oops: :lol: !

You can go round and round with who is better and who beat who. But the BCS doesn't take into account who lost to who by how much or if it was OT or not. I think UF should have beaten Georgia easily but 6 turnovers in the game caused them to lose "barely" but that doesn't matter either.

Comparing the 2 "BCS wise". They only count who you beat in the rankings and who you lost to, regardless of who it was name wise, it only goes by rankings in the polls.

Florida lost to #7
Florida beat #8, #9, #10, #12

Georgia lost to #2 and #10
Georgia beat #3

I don't like the system AT ALL. Trust me. I HATE the BCS as much as anyone else. But using the BCS system 1 loss Florida clearly has the upper hand on 2 loss Georgia.

I don't want to play freakin Louisville trust me, what a crap game. I would love to play Oregon, KSU, any of the top tier teams, hell even GA again would be preferable to me. I hate this system. Even this 4 team playoff will not be enough IMHO. Because what is going to happen is your going to have 3 teams from the same conference in the top 4 and they will throw them out because they were in the same conference with this "panel" that will decide who plays.

Have a true freakin playoff where the top teams go regardless of conference or its all a sham.

Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just read an article that showed how it would end up if they had next years "4 team playoff" this year.

#1 - Notre Dame
#2 - Alabama
#3 - Florida
#4 - Stanford

Those would be the 4 that made the playoff according to what criteria they were using.

#1 vs 4
2 vs 3 then nc.

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They're still going to be BCS Bowls in addition to the playoff next season. Really, at this point, they are just meaningless exhibition games. ESPN's over the top moral outrage at Northern Illinois making it (when Louisville and Wisconsin are also in it) was ludicrous.
UNI couldn't have asked for a better BCS opponent, the ACC is like 0-8 in it's last BCS bowls?

Quote:
Don't sleep on Wisconsin Trip they took the Huskers back to the woodshed, the game was not even as close as the 70-31 score Embarassed Laughing !

The entire Big 10 is horrific this year. Georgia could hang 100 on the Huskers if they're not too depressed from missing out on the MNC. (Again)
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The 4 team playoff will be almost as big of a problem as the BCS, and I have said the same as you, they need at least 8, in fact 16 would be my preferred number. Most years there's a fairly recognizable gap somewhere around the 8-10 ranking and much less so around 4-6. Nonetheless all the bubble teams will always find something of an argument about getting hosed by being left out. I just think it means far less when you get to the #9 or especially the #17 ranking so that you can say," So what you got left out your hopes were slim regardless." The #5 and #6 teams probably will have a legitimate argument. Another oddity is before this week the Sagarin had Akron and Northern Illinois ranked behind North Dakota State (an FCS/1-AA team), they shouldn't even be involved in rankings that effect the BCS (FCS teams that is).

This year, if we had the 4 team playoff, Kansas State(5) or Oregon(4)? Valid argument for both teams. Even Stanford at #6 has an argument since they beat Oregon, despite having 2 losses.

In an 8 team playoff you're asking LSU(8 ), Texas A&M(9), or South Carolina(10) all pretty close. In a 16 team playoff it's Nebraska(16), UCLA (17), or Michigan (18 ). Sure it's a close call but so what at that point none of them is going to win 4 games against all the rest of the matchups being that they'd play the top seed remaining. That may be too many games in Football so that idea's out!

12 teams? Uneven so 4 get byes so that you are at 8 then 4 then 2. The only teams that may have to play 4 games are #s 5-12. #1-4 the same 3 as in a 8 team system. At 12 is Florida State they are far better, IMHO, then is either Oregon State(13) or Clemson (14). Maybe we should go back to just having the AP and Coaches (UPI) poll National Champs and we can share titles like Michigan did with Nebraska, at least the Wolverines got the real half of it (AP) Laughing !

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

3 Heisman Finalists were named:

Johnny Manziel
Manti Te'o
Collin Klein

By the looks of it, usually there are 4 to 5 invited, this must've been a runaway. Perhaps the stuffed shirts will give up the tendency to go for Upper Classmen and do the right thing and give it to Manziel who as a Freshman broke the SEC total offense record! He beat Cam Newton's old record by almost 300 yards: 4600 to 4327!

Thomas Jefferson
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:
Just read an article that showed how it would end up if they had next years "4 team playoff" this year.

#1 - Notre Dame
#2 - Alabama
#3 - Florida
#4 - Stanford

Those would be the 4 that made the playoff according to what criteria they were using.

#1 vs 4
2 vs 3 then nc.

Actually the top 4 do not automatically make the playoff. The 4 teams are to be chosen by a selection committee.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's another problem I have with this ENTIRE bowl system. Teams who have good years get left out, regardless of being in a lesser conference these teams Seniors have ONE last chance in their lives to play Football and play together. Middle Tennessee State 8-4 and Louisiana Tech 9-3 no bowl game. LTU has only it's greedy AD to blame though. They turned down an Independence bowl bid Saturday, against Louisiana-Monroe, because 2 bowls: Heart of Dallas and Liberty; stated they were VERY interested in them. They asked the Independence bowl to give them a day but they said nope. Heart of Dallas Bowl takes Oklahoma State (7-5) to play Purdue (6-6). Liberty chooses Iowa State (6-6) to meet Tulsa (10-3) and these 2 teams played this year already with Iowa State winning. La Tech had the top rated offense in the nation. Here's what these kids missed out on getting from this article if you don't have time to read it ( http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1430274-why-is-louisiana-tech-ad-punishing-players-by-declining-bowl-bid ) :

Last year, the Independence Bowl participants, according to the Sports Business Daily, received these gifts: "Gift suite, Timely Watch Co. watch, New Era cap and a commemorative football." A gift suite is basically a private shopping experience with a vendor (such as Best Buy or Nike) that allows the player to select merchandise that doesn't exceed a preset limit.

No vacation, no bowl-week experience—where the team is treated like royalty—and no swag.

Most of these seniors will never play another down of organized football. Don't kid yourselves, that Independence Bowl watch means a lot to these players.

One player even deleted his original tweet that read:

La. Tech deep snapper @Jdb51me Oh yeah and way to go athletic director #yousuck

Well said!!! Greedy bastard just take a bowl game when it presents itself because bowl's always seem to take crap Bowl Qualifier teams over non-qualifiers! Idea This guy is an idiot and he should lose his job Exclamation

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So is Trip watching Army/Navy? At what age might you be able to run the triple option. Interesting to see 2 entirely different versions of it being run today. Army with the true triple "read" option and Navy, having a QB that can throw a bit, running the triple "spread" option. Not sure it is the "flexbone" that Paul Johnson ran by the looks of it but I'm not that well versed on "forms" of offense as a football coach may be.

Thomas Jefferson
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
So is Trip watching Army/Navy? At what age might you be able to run the triple option. Interesting to see 2 entirely different versions of it being run today. Army with the true triple "read" option and Navy, having a QB that can throw a bit, running the triple "spread" option. Not sure it is the "flexbone" that Paul Johnson ran by the looks of it but I'm not that well versed on "forms" of offense as a football coach may be.

I was discussing this exact thing with my coaches during a fund raiser we were having this morning lol!

If we were to do it we would probably wait one more age group (13-14) and it would be the true read option. We thought about running just a little bit out of the double wing look next year with the (11-12) group. More of a drop option directly out of the double wing. The wing would go into a deep motion and the QB would do a 3 step drop as if he were passing then attack directly at the DE and option off of him. Not the triple option but a nice attack if we can throw a bit first. I would probably like a few quick 3 step slants or outs before we ran it to get the defense thinking pass on the 3 step drop.

Anyway, just thought it was funny you said that and we were talking about it today! To answer your question, I probably wouldn't run the true triple option read until high school (or close to it).

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic