New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - TUF 17
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone watching?

This season looks like a winner! Some pretty decent and skilled fighters this year it apppears. I'm wondering if Dana White trolled himself by saying there's a guy in the house who sent all 4 of his opponents to the hospital. If this is not Dana White hype look for the guy who sends someone to the hospital, out in an ambulance I guess, then we pretty much know one of the finalists! I'm putting my money, if this is true, on Josh Samman. This guy looked scary.

On a side note some good action at UFC on FX so far tonight!!! Matyushenko took a submission lose to Ryan "Darth" Bader in record time, for the UFC, for the weight division. Mike Russow ROCKED Shawn Jordan, former LSU Fullback, but suffered an "adrenaline dump" and lost in round 2. If Jordan gets some BJJ or Judo skills he is a BEAST (used to bench press 610 lbs Shocked). He's built like a brick S#!thouse!

Hoping Glover pummels Rampage!!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am watching! Looks like we will see a bunch of knockouts this year.

Glover did pummel Rampage, though I though that it was Rampages best fight in years.

Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Crazy knockout last night! Felt bad for the kid, he looked really hurt.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah that was scary. It looked for a moment like Cella had gone in to what is called Cheyne-Stokes breathing which is what had me holding my breath, no pun intended(it's a very common occurence before people pass away, my step-mother was in Cheyne-Stokes when my Father arrived at the hospital when she passed from Cancer; it can be common as well with Sleep Apnea as well so not always a sign of impending doom).

It looks like Uriah Hall is the "Scary Beast" that Dana White referred to sending all 4 of his opponents to the hospital. He's 2 for 2 after breaking Enz's arm with a kick in the prelims. Supposedly one guy has a "Nervous Breakdown" before fighting the "Beast" so that'll be the next clue that Hall is the guy White spoke of; and if my math is right that would mean he's one of the 2 finalists.

Sonnen is starting to prove that his "Prick" act has more to do with promoting his fights and that he's a pretty decent guy in real life. He looked like he was about to cry as they worried about Cella's health.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This week's battle was pretty interesting. The lesser experienced fighter prevails. 5-0 vs 20-6 and the fighter with the 5-0 wins.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Troeng/Samman fight next week. Both of these guys are SCARY fighters! No way this goes the distance! I thought Samman was "The Beast" that sent all 4 of his opponents to the Hospital, looks like it's actually Uriah Hall, one sight I saw thought it was likely Troeng.

Josh Samman 9-2 (5 KOs 3 Subs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCbDMm7kS4

Tor Troeng 15-4 (6 KOs 5 Subs) on a 11-1-1 streak over the past 4 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzIYn5aed2A

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was actually thinking this was a bad matchup for Bubba. Grapple with a wrestler? I would have tried to keep it standing for sure if I was Bubba. I am looking forward to next week too. I do not read to much info on these fights as I like to be surprised on outcomes. I was shocked when Hall was not taken 1st or 2nd. He looks like the real deal.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I think that was the plan from what they showed but Bubba got all "Bad Boy" and figured he could grapple with him. The crazy thing was that Kelvin, although he looks like a skilled wrestler, and seems VERY strong, he seems to severely lack any BJJ training as he gave up position with his own movement and Bubba didn't have to go for the sweeps. The only thing that saved Kelvin was his wrestling experience because he had little ground defense but seemed to find unconventional ways to "sweep" from the bottom. I'm sure there were many BJJ trainers cringing at the way he was defending then went "Oh! He got out anyways." Laughing

The fight looked more like they were in "Rolling" training and not even fighting! I was scared he broke his hand when he went for the "Jumping Fist" attack and it looked to graze off Bubba's head, if not hitting the mat directly.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another good fight last night. Josh really showed some skill in knocking out Thor. I am concerned that Josh might end up leaving the show with some injury, as they showed him in the hospital.

I am really not impressed with Jones fight selection. Hester (a boxer) vs Quinlan (a grappler). I never like a pure boxer vs a grappler. I see an upset here.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Missed this week's fight so I'm hoping to catch the replay, if one can ever figure out the 1 time they replay it now (used to be on 5-6 times a week in previous seasons). I've avoided the Internet MMA sites wanting to see it first.

I didn't realize Samman had such a horrible injury previously. Just ask Stik, I rooted for the hated Vikes AP/AD to recover from his injury, I never like anyone to have a career ended by injury even if I hate them and I have no reason to hate this guy as of yet so here's hoping he's OK now; these many months or so later.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The adrenaline is rushing just waiting for this one. This is probably the best TUF final I can recall in quite a while! Can Uriah Hall go 5-for-5 in sending guys to the hospital or will the "'Dog" Kelvin Gastelum, the final pick after the prelims, pull the upset!

Waiting to see if Bubba McDaniel has mentally lost it for the fight game. His fight against Uriah was over before it started... burying his head at the "Stare Down" showed submissiveness .... something you can't have in MMA or Boxing! You have to "Want to hurt your opponent," maybe not permanently but at least fow a week or so! I know I did when I fought,,, amateurly only. I wanted to hurt the guy bad enough that he did not want to answer the bell for the next round but not bad enough to miss more than a week of sparring Cool

It's on FX FYI.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Double post

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Street_Legal on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure about that stoppage in the Tate-Zingano fight. I'd have liked to see the ref give her a chance as it looked like she was still aware of her surroundings and might have been dropping for a single leg at the same time that elbow landed. Great fight for the 2nd women's fight in UFC history but again I'd have liked Winslow give Tate at least another 2 seconds to see if she was out or just going for a single leg shoot when she got caught.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great night of fights. I think it was a good stoppage, even though I really like Tate. Think that one deserved fight of the night! Hall looked bad imo, very tentative, didn't throw as much as I have seen him. Bubba looked good against an over-matched Smith.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess it probably was a good stoppage, Lord knows Herb Dean would've stopped it sooner, but with everything at stake I would have liked to have seen at least maybe 2 to 3 blows on the ground undefended to stop it. Generally they tend to do such things for Title fights, Main Events, or "High-Profile" fights. Y'know give them a little "benefit of the doubt" before a stoppage. However it wasn't a premature stoppage by any means but I don't think anyone would have been upset about it going too long, or allowing "too much unneccesary damage taken," if she allowed it to go a few blows on the ground to be sure Tate was done.

Yeah it was kind of weird to see Hall a bit intimidated, or maybe afraid, of Kelvin Gastelum's takedown ability. I agree he didn't look quite right.

Travis Browne looked like a TOTAL beast. I've seen quite a few people on message boards, during some google searches on fighters I noticed them, saying it looked like most, if not all, of those elbows were illegal to the back of the head. I disagree I think maybe only the last 1 or 2 were after Gonzaga went limp!

Bubba showed some REALLY good ground skills from both top and bottom position. He seems to be quite a "Jekyll and Hyde" type of fighter. "Which Bubba will we see?" is probably what most will think about his next few fights until he shows what he's really made of.

And Urijah put on a pretty good show against a guy, Scott Jorgenson, who can make most of his opponents look marginal .... even when he loses. I wonder who he will meet next. I'm hoping it'll be the winner of the Renan Barao and Eddie Wineland fight for the Interim belt. Considering Barao's only loss, he's 30-1 (6 KO, 14 Subs), came in his first fight it looks like he shouldn't have much trouble with Wineland who has lost 4 of his 6 fights by Submission. It looks like Cruz may not be ready to fight until November or December from what I've heard and read. That would set up an unquestionably good matchup for the Unification of the belt. If Barao wins it's a no brainer. If Urijah wins then nobody could question if he deserves ANOTHER title shot after beating a guy with what would be a 31 fight winning streak, if Barao beats Wineland that is.

Bonus Awards

Fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
Fight of the Night: Cat Zingano vs. Miesha Tate
Knockout of the Night: Travis Browne
Submission of the Night: Daniel Pineda

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic