New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104524

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - NFL 2013
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it's early but it's an exciting period for team's fans so why not kick it off early by asking Stik if the Vikes are just going to hand the ball off on every play despite that "DANGEROUS Laughing " group of WRs the team currently has under contract?

It's like the Lions in reverse (we have nice WRs and little running game) ... can I get a RB in Detroit? Looks like we do have the inside track for Reggie Bush. Rolling Eyes

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Deke
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I live and (more often) die with the Browns. I am hoping they can keep Johs Cribbs, maybe will sign James Harrison for a veteran minimum + performance bonus contract, and keep 4+ Kent State Golden Flashes on the roster.

http://www.delefax.com/ARKYN/Delefax_Web_Portal.html
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shouldn't that be the Lions have A nice WR? Smile

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
if the Vikes are just going to hand the ball off on every play despite that "DANGEROUS Laughing " group of WRs the team currently has under contract?

Well, it worked pretty well the 2nd half of last season! AP had some pretty broad shoulders to carry the whole team. I'm disappointed to see Harvin traded, he is a special player when he manages to be on the field. We'll have to see how the draft goes, Vikings will probably take a high-profile WR in the first round.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stillgard wrote:
Shouldn't that be the Lions have A nice WR? Smile

No he's 2 WRs rolled into one Laughing .

We got rid of that "growth" Titus Young, jack-arse was good but to say he was better than Megatron .... pffffft!

Don't discount Nate Burleson and Ryan Broyles if they can return from injury.

Mike Thomas is speed personnofied.

Kris Durham is 6-6,216 and back with his college QB and showed some real potential as a decent #3 type.

Patrick Edwards from U of Houston is a project on the roster.

Finally you have Scheffler, a TE who can play in the slot, and probably one of the best young "Over the Middle" TEs in Brandon Pettigrew.

I'd stack our Receiving core against nearly anybody in the league, except the Patriots who Tom Brady seems to make look like a bunch of All-Pros no matter who they pull "Off the Street" or out of retirement (Deion Branch anybody? Confused )!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OOPS! And Voila! Reggie Bush is on the Detroit Lions roster. Apparently a four-year deal and a promise to make him the feature back over Leshoure, and Joique Bell (from Detroit's own Wayne State Unibversity and a 2,000 yard rusher in College).

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still would take Green Bays receivers over Detroits, even with Jennings leaving. Cobb, Jones, Nelson, and Finley are very good. Nice signing of Bush, he will help out things for sure. Maybe back to the playoffs?

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stillgard wrote:
I still would take Green Bays receivers over Detroits, even with Jennings leaving. Cobb, Jones, Nelson, and Finley are very good. Nice signing of Bush, he will help out things for sure. Maybe back to the playoffs?

Granted!

So call us in the #1a-#5 in WRs (without Broyles; #1a-#3 with).

Yeah let's stick with MAYBE . Don't forget we had the greatest RB EVVVEEEERRR (don't anyone even try and argue it; just ask Rod Woodson's ACL and you'll lose), one of the best OLs in the league (Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover perennial Pro-Bowlers, Mike Utley and Eric Andolsek were considered 2 of the best young lineman around and then lost), and at the time 2 record setting WRs in Perriman and Moore. What'd that get us? ONE PLAYOFF WIN Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .

In the case of the Lions we have 2 sayings:

1) Never say Ever

2) S.O.L. Shocked (Same Ole' Lions) Laughing

Thomas Jefferson
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lots of craziness in the free agency rush so far! Same every year, teams jumping the gun, over-reaching and over-paying a handful of guys who will likely never produce like they hope.

I was disappointed but not too surprised to see the Vikes trade away Harvin. After he got hurt and very quickly put on IR last season and then didn't stick around at ALL for any of the December games or the playoffs, I knew then he did not want to be a Viking any longer. Spielman did a hell of a job getting the picks he did for him, two first rounders now this year gives them a chance to get some players, and this draft is super deep at WR, but I hope they pick up at least one decent addition in free agency. I'm still holding out hope for Jennings, but he wants a lot of money for an almost 30 year old receiver and they're going youth movement (witness cutting Antoine Winfield, the real travesty thus far, not Harvin!).

The Vikes still need to sign a veteran backup QB and maybe another CB and LB too. We'll see.

Lions getting Bush is scary, but not that scary. What happened to him the last year or two in Miami?? I hope the cheeseheads don't get Jackson!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only problem with the WRs in the draft is that only 2 or 3 are "Impact" WRs it appears (Patterson and Austin; Woods and Allen are both coming off of recent ankle surgery which scares me... and teams). On Bleacherreport.com they state both. They say it's a weak position in the draft in one article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1483914-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-the-2013-nfl-draft-class#/articles/1483914-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-the-2013-nfl-draft-class/page/5 - and another puts it as a deep position in the "first few rounds of the draft" : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1545144-breaking-down-wr-value-in-the-2013-nfl-draft .

The best, most objective, site that I've used in the past 2-3 years is nfldraftscout.com where they have ALOT of combine numbers with some analysis and project each players high and low point in the draft. I generally use it to look up combine numbers during the year (eg Google Search: Jahvid Best combine numbers nfl draftscout) for trades and pickups as well as matchups. Here is their WR section on the site for the draft, but you can get to other positions easily from it : http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2013

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Street_Legal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 am; edited 4 times in total
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's my Fantasy Draft for my Lions:

Rd(overall)- Player(s)

1(5) - Eric Fisher(OT), Bjoern Werner (DE), Dee Milner (CB)
2(36) - Johnathan Banks(CB) or if we reach for Milner,Alex Okafor(DE) or DJ Fluker(OT)
3(65) - Giovanni Bernard(RB) or Larry Warford(OG), reach for Honey Badger (CB, Drug Dealer)
4(99) - Steal it Back from the East Dakota Vikings
5(130) - Khaled Holmes (C), Robert Lester (SS), Le'Veon Bell (RB) all projected 4th rounders who could be available still
6(161) - Josh Boyce (WR), Hugh Thornton(OG), Sanders Commings (CB) all projected 5th rounders who may be there
7(195) - Dustin Hopkins (K), TJ Johnson (C), take a flier on Luke Marquardt (OT) who's big and strong 6-8,315 (31 Bench reps) but comes from a new Division 2 school Azusa Pacific

Had a few minutes to kill and obviously my 5,6, and 7 picks were just guesses by position of need, or good "athletes", and choosing guys who may slide a round in the draft in MY perfect world.

Thomas Jefferson
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Here's my Fantasy Draft for my Lions:

Rd(overall)- Player(s)

1(5) - Eric Fisher(OT), Bjoern Werner (DE), Dee Milner (CB)
2(36) - Johnathan Banks(CB) or if we reach for Milner,Alex Okafor(DE) or DJ Fluker(OT)
3(65) - Giovanni Bernard(RB) or Larry Warford(OG), reach for Honey Badger (CB, Drug Dealer)
4(99) - Steal it Back from the East Dakota Vikings
5(130) - Khaled Holmes (C), Robert Lester (SS), Le'Veon Bell (RB) all projected 4th rounders who could be available still
6(161) - Josh Boyce (WR), Hugh Thornton(OG), Sanders Commings (CB) all projected 5th rounders who may be there
7(195) - Dustin Hopkins (K), TJ Johnson (C), take a flier on Luke Marquardt (OT) who's big and strong 6-8,315 (31 Bench reps) but comes from a new Division 2 school Azusa Pacific

Had a few minutes to kill and obviously my 5,6, and 7 picks were just guesses by position of need, or good "athletes", and choosing guys who may slide a round in the draft in MY perfect world.

A FEW minutes?!??? Shocked Razz Wink

Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to try and predict the Packers draft picks, but I have never even come close! TT is unpredictable. I remember many years ago when he traded his first round pick to New England who picked up a receiver that many of us watching wanted. I can't remember his name now. TT traded into the 2nd round and picked up some no-name... Greg Jennings! Everyone at the draft party I was at was livid, guess that one worked out well!

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stillgard wrote:
I used to try and predict the Packers draft picks, but I have never even come close! TT is unpredictable. I remember many years ago when he traded his first round pick to New England who picked up a receiver that many of us watching wanted. I can't remember his name now. TT traded into the 2nd round and picked up some no-name... Greg Jennings! Everyone at the draft party I was at was livid, guess that one worked out well!

Yeah, Thompson's the draft master! His strategy of staying largely out of free agency and building through the draft with lots of picks isn't too sexy or popular to fans, but it works, as long as you can make those draft picks work out, which he has done for the most part the last few years. I think Spielman and the Vikings are trying to go the same route without question. They hardly ever spend on big-name free agents, even though the Wilfs now are willing to spend money, and they rarely move up in the draft. They had a stellar draft last year, hoping this one will follow suit! And that having been said, I still hope they sign Greg Jennings, he's visiting today!

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
The Vikes still need to sign a veteran backup QB

Done deal, Matt Cassel just signed.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic