New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - MMA Musings
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been pounding this thread lately Laughing but I just had to add this! I am so into MMA and it has surpassed Boxing for me. Something for you to pass some dead time with, I've done the research for you! Wink

Rousimar Palhares has been cut from the UFC for his despicable act against Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29 for AGAIN failing to release a Heel Hook, possibly the most painful legal submission in MMA, after a tap out and stoppage. He also failed a drug test, testosterone levels (what is it with these Brazilian fighters?), in December after his KO loss to Hector Lombard Laughing . Dana White fired him during a TV interview with Jeremy Schaap! Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/dana-white-cuts-rousimar-palhares-during-interview-jeremy-225904121--mma.html

Furthermore, Bellator's President has stated he has no interest in having him with his promotion, despite both Nog's sticking up for him in letters (Dana White ignored them as well, thankfully!)! He has also been removed from the Abu Dhabi tournament. He also has had issues in Grappling tournaments holding leg locks too long. I'll cut to the point where the issue arises in the next video.

http://youtu.be/FohRibjEbgI?t=1m58s

Here's the Pierce fight. Pierce is out 180 days unless his knee and ankle are cleared by physicians. Pierce on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com that in addition to suffering a severely sprained MCL, he has a "completely torn ligament" on the outside of his left ankle. He was told he probably won't need surgery. I'm thinking he'll be out awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsblWuiwMGY

Here's his incident from UFC 111 against Tmasz Drwal. It comes within 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMOp--2SHg

His former coach at Brazilian Top Team, Murilo Bustamante, also said he hurt people sparring and they even brought in a psychologist to try and help the situation, obviously failing. Story is here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1808603-palhares-ex-coach-toquinho-hurt-people-sparring-had-excuses-for-losses

It makes me all the more glad that he had another unstable moment against Nate Marquardt: Marquardt defeated Rousimar Palhares via TKO (punches) at 3:28 of round 1 at the main-event of UFC Fight Night 22. During the fight Palhares went for a heel-hook however Marquardt slipped his leg free and quickly turned the tables for a first-round TKO victory. However, this came with some controversy. Once Marquardt pulled his leg free, Palhares looked at his hand and signalled to officials and seemingly complained that Marquardt was greased. Marquardt capitalized on the opening and pounded Palhares with a quick barrage of punches. The ending, though, wasn't due to any illegal circumstances. UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan immediately announced that Marquardt had passed an inspection from the ringside physician and the referee. Marquardt explained that before the fight; "I came out really warm because I wanted a good sweat," which explains why he was slippery and managed to remain elusive. Marquardt’s trainer Greg Jackson stated that officials checked Marquardt before the fight for any greasing type substance.

I also found a collection of his dirt-bag-iness that I'll add should you decide you want to see it at some point to show this is not just nervous energy but rather is intent to hurt and injure his opponents! hen these things happen over and over again he clearly has a problem and needs to be kept out of MMA until it is dealt with, and I don't know how you prove that. Not only could it end a career but most of these guys have to work outside the ring and have families to take care of. Fighter safety is paramount after all is said and done!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9ypltzRoM

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Will Hendricks be the cure for GSP? Word has it he walks around at 220! I guess as a former amateur wrestler of his stature weight cutting has become a science but cut from 220 to 170? WOW!

Sad to see "Cowboy" Cerrone on the Prelim card but equally sad is his opponent, the former phenom, Evan Dunham. This certainly could be Dunham's last shot in the UFC and possibly the same for Cowboy! On a side note this is the battle of the "my last fight was a loss to Rafael dos Anjos, " fighters!

If I get time predictions come later!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here we go again?!?

I'm reading we have another controversial decision. Another case of "You have to win convincingly to win a decision over a champion"?

Guess I'll have to wait to see the fight replay to figure out what I think! There looked to be 4 decisive rounds and an even round so it's hard to say but at least we didn't get a score similar to Jones/Gustafson where one judge scored it 49-46; this one was 48-47, 47-48, 48-47.

The numbers were:

Round 1 GSP Hendricks
Control Time :34 1:00
Total Strikes 26 27
Significant Strikes 19 18
Takedowns 1 1

Round 2 GSP Hendricks
Control Time :00 :29
Total Strikes 30 37
Significant Strikes 28 30
Takedowns 0 0

Round 3 GSP Hendricks
Control Time :00 :42
Total Strikes 32 22
Significant Strikes 31 15
Takedowns 0 1

Round 4 GSP Hendricks
Control Time :23 2:11
Total Strikes 24 41
Significant Strikes 14 18
Takedowns 0 0

Round 5 GSP Hendricks
Control Time 2:09 1:08
Total Strikes 13 15
Significant Strikes 9 4
Takedowns 2 0

Total GSP Hendricks
Control Time 3:06 5:30
Total Strikes 125 142
Significant Strikes 101 85
Takedowns 3/6 2/4

And GSP says he had memory loss and couldn't see out of one eye in the 5th because "He messed me up". And then states he's "Going away for a while." Kind of disappointing after he took a long layoff after the knee injury and he chose not to fight Silva due to having a "limited amount of fights left in him," and he didn't want to spend those on Silva just now. Looks like another super-fight that won't ever materialize (e.g. Fedor vs. Lesnar).

Thomas Jefferson
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I watched the entire thing Hendricks was ROBBED. I had him winning 48-47 easily.

I had Round 1 pretty even but I thought Hendricks did more damage, but I can see someone giving GSP the nod because he was the champ.

Round 2 was CLEARLY Hendricks he had GSP hurt and wobbled in the round.

Round 3 was definately GSP, he landed way more shots and was more active. Looks like Hendricks was taking a bit of a breather.

Round 4 was all Hendricks. He was way more active in this round and just plain beat up GSP.

Round 5 was pretty close but GSP landed more hard shots and got a few takedowns to secure this round IMHO.

I thought the rounds the Hendricks won were ALL hendricks. Not even close. The rounds that GSP won could have gone either way in the eyes of some.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dana White had some mighty tough words for the Nevada State Athletic Commission!

“It’s about damage. This is a fight. It’s whoever inflicts the most damage,” he said, “He (St-Pierre) got hurt, he got wobbled, he got dropped.

“Yeah, I’m blown away that Georges St-Pierre won that fight. And listen, I’m a promoter. He’s the biggest pay-per-view star on the planet for me. And I still don’t think he won that fight. I want what’s fair and that wasn’t fair.

“I think the Nevada State Athletic Commission is atrocious. I think the governor needs to step in immediately before these guys destroy this sport like they did boxing.”
AMEN! (I love(d) Boxing and still do except for the judging and the alphabet soup champs everywhere)

Judges Sal D’Amato and Tony Weeks scored rounds one, three and five for St-Pierre. Glenn Trowbridge scored the first, second and fourth for Hendricks.

So it appears the place where the decision swung was round one! Everyone scored 2 and 4 for Hendricks and 3 and 5 for GSP. I guess GSP didn't know what round it was or even that the fight was over. Dana White says his "troubles are not as bad as he thinks they are (GSP) he just obsesses over things too much!" He thinks GSP will change his mind on "going away for awhile."

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is why you don't let the judges decide things. I was not surprised by the split decision, it was that close. Hendricks also said he was only going 70%. Maybe next time he should go 100% and finish the damn fight.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stillgard wrote:
This is why you don't let the judges decide things. I was not surprised by the split decision, it was that close. Hendricks also said he was only going 70%. Maybe next time he should go 100% and finish the damn fight.

I didn't catch that! Well good maybe he deserved to lose; if that's not just a way of trying to scare others into thinking he could fight 50% better! Nothing I hate more then people not doing the best they can reasonably be expected to do; my book means at least 85-90% effort (100% of potential is not always realistically attainable as we all have bad days or are ill or distracted etc.)!

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is the quote. This was said in the post fight press conference.

Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.

“I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”

And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only thing I can say to that is that I could see he was well aware of MMA's past. So many guys who suffer "Adrenaline dumps" or get arm weary and "gassed out". I personally know that once those 2 events occur, in their truest meaning, there's no recovery from it. It normally takes a good 20-30 minutes to get anything close to normal function back. Which is fine in Boxing if you're fighting 10+ rounds, plus some guys get their, cliché inserted, "Second Wind" earlier. Only 29 minutes go by in a 5 round MMA fight, 10 or 12 rounds of Boxing there's 39-47 minutes.

But he clearly made the wrong choice as it turns out! GO for it kid!!!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ummmm WOW!

Just saw the footage of Spider Silva's leg doing an impression of a garden hose on Weidman's knee cap! Weidman did a good job in making Silva pay for his leg kicks, if you put your knee on his shin every time he kicks he'll likely stop kicking you! In fact he stated as much stopping short of saying he did it, break his leg, on purpose. It's a standard/advanced check move to use your knee cap. Mr. Green

I'm guessing Silva may wish he had taken a Super Fight with GSP now! Same for GSP with his issues. They both walked away, to bide their time, from the most lucrative fight in MMA history! We all make mistakes I guess! I doubt Silva ever fights again considering the injury and his age.

Rousey with another armbar <yawn>. Her striking is improved, and despite some fools on chat boards and YouTube Tarverdyan IS a top notch striking coach. If he had more experience I'd have loved to see him fight Hallman after they almost came to blows during TUF! In a street brawl it would make a great fight, Armenians tend to be above average in strength and aggression, but Edmond likely doesn't have the ground skills of Hallman for an MMA fight! Tarverdyan is a former WBC Muay Thai world champion.

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic