New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Desperation
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bill
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone have a guess as to how long a warrior runs under desp strat. For example, warrior A puts warrior B into desp end of min 1, providing fight continues will he run desp all min 2 or for a few lines..??
pipthetroll
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ive been told it lasts until the end of the minute.

If you go desperate the last line of minute one, I don't think you see your desperation strategy at all.
blackstorm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm pretty sure of that as well. Wink

Champions of Rune, Eternal Souls--31
Black Storm--47
Chaos Knights--52
Eye of the Storm--54,104
Eve of Destruction--83
Dark Enclave--81 and more....
_Carnage_
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This was a question that I asked a lot of people when I was getting back into the game. The response was pretty much unanimous in that it does reset itself.

What I always wished was that there was another part of Duel2 strategy. "Desperation" and "Opponent Desperate". Obviously it isn't going to happen, but it would add another layer of strategy. "I think he's going to run response if he goes desperate, so I want to drop Decise and just run open" "He slows waaaay down and runs parry when desperate...so I can slow down to make sure I get enough shot in to take him out". Seems like something a manager would tell a warrior before going into the arena. "If his eyes roll back in his head and he backs off....you better change up and do this..." Wink

Carnage
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pipthetroll wrote:
Ive been told it lasts until the end of the minute.

If you go desperate the last line of minute one, I don't think you see your desperation strategy at all.

All Pip says is true. This is important to know.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
blackstorm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill wrote:
Anyone have a guess as to how long a warrior runs under desp strat. For example, warrior A puts warrior B into desp end of min 1, providing fight continues will he run desp all min 2 or for a few lines..??
Since we're onthe subject, and as this can be real useful info.
What would be the factor(s) that make a warrior decide to go Desperate.
Does CN influence anything? Wl plays its part in having a warrior "hang on" and I think WT also plays a role. The reason I brought this up is because warriors can get desperate from taking hits and by being at the end of a long fight. Is there a "panic" factor? Will a more intelligent warrior choose to go desperate at a better time , or does any of this make a difference at all?

Black Storm--47
Chaos Knights--52
Eye of the Storm--54,104
Eve of Destruction--83
Valamond
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

_Carnage_ wrote:
This was a question that I asked a lot of people when I was getting back into the game. The response was pretty much unanimous in that it does reset itself.

What I always wished was that there was another part of Duel2 strategy. "Desperation" and "Opponent Desperate". Obviously it isn't going to happen, but it would add another layer of strategy. "I think he's going to run response if he goes desperate, so I want to drop Decise and just run open" "He slows waaaay down and runs parry when desperate...so I can slow down to make sure I get enough shot in to take him out". Seems like something a manager would tell a warrior before going into the arena. "If his eyes roll back in his head and he backs off....you better change up and do this..." Wink

Carnage

Did I ever tell you that you think WAAAAYYYYYY too much? I should have already. Sheesh! How freakin long do you want it to take for me to fill out my strategy sheets? You are trying to make it awfully difficult for me to procrastinate on filling them out. Why don't you just go and kill my warriors or something...oops, too late for that one. Laughing

Life is pain...anyone who says differently is selling something. --The Man in Black

Teams listed in Extra Info
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always figured desperation ends at the end of a round, but if desperation never rolls over from one minute to the next, how come if your warrior gets hit again the the next minute (possibly several times), they don't go desperate then? It feels like sometimes it does carry over.

blackstorm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Which is a bit at what I was getting at. I've seen that too. Does his high WL/CN let him shrug it off , or high WT avoid him panicking. I have a feeling that it may. Throw in a KD variant and it changes again. Someone tell me its not worth calculating?

Black Storm--47
Chaos Knights--52
Eye of the Storm--54,104
Eve of Destruction--83
_Carnage_
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Valamond wrote:
_Carnage_ wrote:

Carnage

Did I ever tell you that you think WAAAAYYYYYY too much? I should have already. Sheesh! How freakin long do you want it to take for me to fill out my strategy sheets? You are trying to make it awfully difficult for me to procrastinate on filling them out. Why don't you just go and kill my warriors or something...oops, too late for that one. Laughing

That's the problem! I think and I think, and before I know it, I have to fax/phone my turn in, forget to make challenges, and I end up killing your warriors! I am THE procrastinator. I love playing by mail...on THEIR end. On my end I prefer if I could submit turns online, so I could turn them in one second before they were due. Wink

Carnage
Drake
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Adie wrote:
I always figured desperation ends at the end of a round, but if desperation never rolls over from one minute to the next, how come if your warrior gets hit again the the next minute (possibly several times), they don't go desperate then? It feels like sometimes it does carry over.

There's a couple ideas I have on that:

First, weather or not the warrior goes desperate is based on some sort of roll (most likely Will IMO) that is modified by things like % of Hit Points remaining & % of Endurance remaining (possibly also the amount of damage done in this particular hit). It's entirely possible that it's tied to the Surrender Check: Pass and nothing happens, Fail by X amount and the warrior goes Desperate, Fail by Y amount (Y > X) and the warrior surrenders. So, in the scenario described above, at the end of Minute 1 the warrior fails the check and goes Desperate. In Minute 2, the warrior makes a few more checks, but passes them all and thus does not go desperate.

Second, involvs recovery. We all know that it's possible to recover Endurance during the fight (usually during the rest statements). What I'm not sure of is if your warrior also recovers Hit Points during those statements. If there's a rest statement somewhere at the beginning of Minute 2, the warrior may have gained back enough HP and his opponent may have done little enough damage to make failing the check less likely.

I condsider the first idea to be far more likely to be true than the second.

Some additional info: One of the things we know has never happened is that a warrior has never gone Desperate twice in the same minute. However, warriors have gone Desperate at the end of a minute, get hit right away at the beginning of the next and go Desperate again. This suggests that Desperation lasts until, but not past, the end of the minute. If it were otherwise and Desperation reset after X amount of time, then you'd see warriors go Desperate twice in one minute and you'd never see a warrior go Desperate both at the end of Minute X and the beginning of X+1 in the same fight.

Known primarily for being a wise-ass
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire. - Unknown
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic