New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Xbox 360 or PS3
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grimm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok I have been debating forever, Xbox or PS3. What do you guys think, only benefits I see to PS3 are blue ray and built in wireless. Xbox 360 has more games and seems to have a market lead.
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Think it depends on what types of games that you like. There are some franchises that I'm faithful to that only come out on PS3 (God of War and Final Fantasy).

However, I got nothing bad to say about an Xbox 360. Amazing graphics and games on there such as Gears of War and Halo 3.

I think Sony will eventually catch up with Microsoft on the game front, so I wouldn't worry about the game shares. Hard to pass up a blu-ray player and game system though in my mind if I only had to choose one.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Apex
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
Think it depends on what types of games that you like. There are some franchises that I'm faithful to that only come out on PS3 (God of War and Final Fantasy).

However, I got nothing bad to say about an Xbox 360. Amazing graphics and games on there such as Gears of War and Halo 3.

I think Sony will eventually catch up with Microsoft on the game front, so I wouldn't worry about the game shares. Hard to pass up a blu-ray player and game system though in my mind if I only had to choose one.

PS3. Too many powersource issue with the 360's, Blu-Ray compatible now with the PS3, yadda, yadda, yadda. I think it just flat out plays better. But that is MHO.

3) The usually pointed end of an object; the tip
SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My day job since '99 has been video game PR and I'd have to say my clients tend to put out slightly better versions of their multiplatform games on the 360, which is likely due to the fact that they've had more time mastering it. Therefore, I tend to recommend the 360 over the PS3, unless Blu-Ray DVD player is important to you.

SwineTiger
Andarus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am going to get a PS3, and I'm going to get it when Final Fantasy 13 comes out.

Right now? Honestly, I don't want either. I am planning on getting a Wii soon, though. I can convince my wife that it will be a good family thing.
Crow
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got the PS3, 360, and Wii and I would say my 360 gets about 95% of my gaming time. My PS3 has been used nearly exclusively for watching DVDs. My Wii rarely gets used outside of playing downloadable old favorites like River City Ransom or Shining Force.

One of the main draws to me on the 360 is that the online stuff is done so much better than on the other systems. I like that they remake old stuff, spiff it up a bit and put it up for $5-10 for download. The integration of Live into everything has been done very well. The achievement system is a nice touch and I hope more games use them to give you actual benefits in gameplay like Mass Effect did.

I also like that the 360 is much more portable than the PS3 and fits nicely in a bag with my laptop for when my work sends me on travel. The Wii of course is even more so.....if there were any games coming out soon that I wanted.

The games library is much bigger at the moment, though this is sure to change.
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have them all.

PS3 is a monster and is the most tech bang for your buck. It has built in wireless, blueray, bluetooth, harddrive, etc.

360 owns with their achievement/gamerscore system, they have a large library and it's cheaper - until you decide to get a harddrive sku and then buy their $100 proprietary wirless adapter, etc.

3rd party exclusives are becoming less common this generation but that has begun the 1st party exclusive fight again.

Both systems have some nice exclusive and shared downloadable games.

Both systems can access media servers. I hate MS's Media Center crap tho so just get a 3rd Party program.

You really can't lose here. If you have at least a 720p TV and your an avid movie collecter then you may lean toward PS3 a bit more as a total solution.

I bought my PS3 when they came out and I only regret not holding on a bit longer considering Sony had to slash prices to compete with the 360 - even though a 360 loaded out like a PS3 was more expensive.

I bought my 360 a few months ago due to most of my fanboy friends owning one, I am now an achievement whore though so treaded carefully!

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh and Swine is correct about developer's "alledging" that they were having troubles building for the PS3 over the 360.

He's also correct about that being due to lack of development experience on the platform.

Sony sunk a lot of money into visiting studios, handing the devs toolkits and teaching them how to build on the platform.

I think it's more of a desire issue than anything else. It's easier and probably a lot cheaper to just port a game to another platform and we've already established that 360 has a much larger footprint right now.

Studios are starting to come around and some are pulling off some amazing stuff on the PS3. (ex: Metal Gear and UT3)

Interesting read on this topic:

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/158468.shtml

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's surprising that the dev toolkit is hard to pick up for PS3, I've heard that the toolkit for the PS2 was fantastic. (Wish I could afford a license)

In any case, Andarus's comments sums it up for me:

Quote:
I am going to get a PS3, and I'm going to get it when Final Fantasy 13 comes out.
SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
I've heard that the toolkit for the PS2 was fantastic.

It was actually quite the opposite. I was part of the Dreamcast launch team and one of the reasons why many of our games held their own versus the PS2 was the difficult nature of developing games for the PS2. Alas, we lost the war due to SONY's larger install base and fact-deprived propaganda machine. I digress - this story touches upon some of the PS2 challenges: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070614-sony-ps3-defense-developers-can-do-more-with-it.html.

SwineTiger
drdaddy
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crow wrote:
I've got the PS3, 360, and Wii and I would say my 360 gets about 95% of my gaming time. My PS3 has been used nearly exclusively for watching DVDs. My Wii rarely gets used outside of playing downloadable old favorites like River City Ransom or Shining Force.

Same here. I have them all and play the 360 95% of the time and watch blueray on the ps3. I like the 360 controller the best. If I had to pick just one, it would be an easy choice with the 360.
AndruilTheAncient
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Xbox plays to Microsoft's strengths. It has a great development platform, is simple to use, compatible with home PCs, has a truly next generation network, and is sort of leading the next revolution in gaming: Digital distribution. Unfortunately, the failure rates leave a lot to be desired.

PS3 plays to Sony's strengths. They make high-quality multimedia hardware with a wide range of hardware compatibility. They aren't very savvy with building user-friendliness into their platforms, and don't seem terribly interested in (or capable of) competing with the breadth of the Xbox Live network.

Oh, and they also play games Smile
mrmojo
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've already sold my soul to Sony Smile

I've seen friends playing Xbox, but if I ever did, I'd feel like I was cheating on my PS3. Wii looks fun, but any console that supports games with that fat plumber Mario in it I dread. It's been 23 years and I still can't get that SuperMario Brothers song out of my head. Sad
sporkis
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well out of the 3 I only own a 360. If I were you, I try to see if you can try renting or go to a friend's house and try each system out. I've tried all 3 and each has it pros and cons.

The 360 already has a good library of games, but it's mainly a FPS system. Which is great if you like FPS(I occasionally like them). While they do have other styles games you can't deny the fact that for every non-FPS game released on the systems there is at least 5 FPS are. Failure rates have also been a problem. I've heard tons and witness a few stories of this. Though I've had mine for I think what 2 years now, and never had a problem. I don't know what the new numbers are though since they started putting in the new heat sinks into the systems.

The Wii -- While not as graphically pleasing as the other two. Still has some pretty fun non fat plumer related games. My niece got one and while some of the games are a little difficult to pick up since you've only been playing one way your entire life, there's pretty entertaining. The only things I noticed is some of the games iffy on the control. Plus it doesn't help you have to be in the exact right place for the senor to read you right.

The PS3, is the hardware choice if your a movie buff. Since Bluray is now pretty much offically the next gen format it's a great cheap player to start with. The built in wireless it and the Wii has is a plus. Games wise though it's seriously lacking in my opinion. I'm not saying it doesn't have some great games, it does. The problem is you can get those great games on another system. Sony has been loosing exclusives left and right for a while now, and it's hurt them. Exclusives is what sells a system. What incentive are you giving consumers to go out and buy your system when the games they want to play are available on another system and that system is cheaper than yours. Some clamor that it's the more powerful overall system in the end. Which I most likely agree with, but that doesn't help the fact that it puts out identical graphics as it's weaker opponent.

In the end, I'm continue to be happy with my 360 though I stay away from online play since I have no friends and i got sick of hearing a 12 year old throw more obscenities in one session than I've heard in my entire life. And I'm more likely to get a Wii before I ever get a PS3. Even with Metal Gear 4 coming out on the PS3 which I am a huge fanboy of, it just isn't enough to shell out the bones for it for that one game alone. The Wii is much cheaper and has several games I'm interested in. For the record I wouldn't pay 400 bucks for a 360 either. If I didn't get mine for around 250 at the time I wouldn't have right now either.

If you want the best bang for your buck. Get a DS. I pretty much played that for months now. I even left GTA IV to go back to playing Advance Wars Laughing

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I went a total opposite direction for now, just bought and added a Nvidia 9800 GX2 vid card to my computer. Basically the top of the line card on the market; It was so big I had to file my case to fit it.

I am trying Conan and COD4 on occasion, Conan is ok but I figure I goit too use to WOWs cartoon graphics. Call of Duty is wicked fun.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic