New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Daydream Believer
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mannequin
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"You once thought of me,
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy I can be..."

It's true. I'm gone. I've punched my ticket to Immortality and I'm off to the Isle. I know a lot of you are wondering what it is about me that has made me so successful. I wish I knew for sure. I think it has more to do with intangibles (knack) than it does with design, bonuses and favorites. I'll let you decide.

Daydream Believer (PR)

17-14-4-17-7-8-17

Poor Endurance -- Good Damage

I -- 8 (+1)
R -- 13
A -- 14 (+4)
P -- 14 (+4)
Df - 8
Dc - 6 (+3)

I know what you're thinking, "WTF, that guy looks like a 98 lb weakling!" Sigh...I prefer to think my physical characteristics are ideally suited for a finesse style. As for my bases, I know they aren't much to look at. After all, I am a PR. I'm fortunate to be blessed where I need it the most -- attack & parry.

OK, so I've got nice bases with bonuses in the right spots. What about favorites? Did I know them in advance or did I change them? The answer is no, I had no idea what they were for sure until I recieved my graduation announcement. I would be happy to tell you what my favorites are but I don't think my clone, Jumpinjack Flash, would be very happy with me if I did. Let's just say that from the moment I stepped on the sands as a Rookie I used the same strategy in EVERY fight. The only thing I ever changed was armor (early on vs. TP's) and attack/defend locations. That should give those of you who have faced me more than once something to think about. Wink

You may be interested to know that I am all natural. I haven't had a prize of any type used on me. I'm a freak of nature. It just goes to show you never know when a guy like me will walk into your guildhouse looking for work as a gladiator. It's up to you to spot the potential and nuture it along.

I'm going to list my tourney results and records versus each style. It isn't meant to be a brag -- I just thought you might find it interesting and a lot easier than looking it up yourself. Enjoy!

Tourneys:

Rookies: 15-1-3 TC

Initiates: 15-3-3 TV

Adepts: 16-2 TC

Champs: 13-1-1 TC

Rookies - Champs record: 59-7-7 (.894)

Challengers: 9-3 TV

Challengers: 15-1-1 TC

Challengers: 13-3 TV -- Runner-up (Marv-AB)

Challengers: 13-3 TV -- Runner-up (Teevella-LU)

Challengers: 7-3

Challengers: 11-3-2 TV

Challengers: 11-3-1 TV

Challengers: 13-3 TV -- Runner-up (Marv-AB)

Challengers: 12-3 TV

Challengers record: 104-25-4 (.806)

Career Tourney record: 163-32-11 (.836)

TC's: 4
TV's: 8 (3 Runner-ups)

Arena record: 5-0-1
Grudge matches: 3-0

Total record: 171-32-12 (.842)

Tourney record vs all styles:

AB: 7-11

BA: 6-0-1

LU: 46-9-4

PL: 5-1-1

PR: 2-0

PS: -----

SL: 9-2

ST: 51-5-2

TP: 35-4-3

WS: 2-0

As you can see, the only style I had trouble with is the AB's. I think that has more to do with which AB's I fought rather than the style as a whole. I was 3-1 vs AB's early on (Rookies-Champs) and 4-10 in Challengers. I was 1-5 vs Marv, 0-1 vs Marv Jr and 0-3 vs Soulsnare. I am going to make an educated guess and assume they all had skills or prizes added to them to make them competetive at the Challenger level where so few AB's are. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

See you on the Isle,

Daydream Believer

"You're a madman!"
"Aye, I've come to the right place then."
Aragorn
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is fascinating, thank you for sharing it with us.
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree, thanks Mannequin for putting it out there. Refreshing to see somebody sharing info like that! I must say I thought he would've sported a 17 or 21 WL.

Having never faced him with my limited tourney squads, my biggest question is how he beat all the high-powered offensives (all those lungers, souped-up strikers and the occasional good slasher) early on. Even with no riposte bonus he must have been good at it.

Are you not going to keep fighting him in ADM since you wrote this??

KnightHospitaller
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MOST impressive!

Knight Protector of Chimlevtal

"I ran Mannequin out of Chimlevtal & Crysalis"

"...Wicked Hospitallers, each full of zeal and without weakness." - Imad-ad-Din, Moslem Chronicler
Kellumbo
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty freakin' awesome. When the day comes (if the day comes), that we eventually can see the hidden string associated with each warrior, I would pay good money to see his compared to others.

I have to say the thing that amazes me most is the 7 Will.

Thank you so much for writing this up. I feel like Indiana Jones who just uncovered a great, long searched for secret. Very, very cool.

I'll just close in adding that for me this is the second 7 Will warrior who has been/is really, really cool.

Kudos and well done.

-Chad/Kellumbo

PS. Would you mind sharing how he looked as far as trains and stats when he graduated? Thanks.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mannequin, a fascinating write-up with such significant facts and figures. A salute to a GREAT Daydream Believer, and to his obviously GREAT manager.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since 17-14-4-17-7-8-17 are not hard numbers to come by (at least in terms of wit/deft), did the strength play a key role in his success? I love the fact that this legendary TC is not a AB/ST/LU and that his numbers are closer to what many of us have been able to emulate (well, maybe not the size 4) in this era of 21s being touted as what defines a champ.

Now what can we do to get TMM to open his vault? Smile

Chase
PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SwineTiger wrote:
Since 17-14-4-17-7-8-17 are not hard numbers to come by (at least in terms of wit/deft), did the strength play a key role in his success? I love the fact that this legendary TC is not a AB/ST/LU and that his numbers are closer to what many of us have been able to emulate (well, maybe not the size 4) in this era of 21s being touted as what defines a champ.

Now what can we do to get TMM to open his vault? Smile

Chase

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOl sure had those numbers. But hes a god. +12 never had those numbers.

Purple SAGE
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is really, really cool. What a record - amazing.

I can't even imagine getting a 7 will to live, let alone win 171 times.

It seems surprising to me that he faced so few Aimed Blows considering the large # of them wandering around. Was he lucky or are there really that few in the challengers division?

Thanks much for sharing.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the write-up, Mannequin! Very interesting, indeed.
roadkill
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow...impressive to say the least. Very cool of you to open the vault and let the rest of us know. Of course since Rippers are a thorn in my side, I naturally would ask so what was the strategy you used.....but since you were kind enough to share as much info as you did....can't do it. Just the info you shared was enough.

Thanks again for sharing.
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for posting Daydream Believers info Mannequin, he looks pretty much as I suspected.

I have been making my PR's similar to this design since the early 90's and have one that got +5 Attack, +4 Parry, +2 Decise and +2 Int. He was more of an arena warrior though, but dominated that arena going 18-3-1.

It's because of this type of design that my favorite style is Parry Rip, because it isn't all that hard to get the rollup to make them. The difference between the good ones and the great ones is the bonus in attack and parry. Then if they have the knack of not quiting easy and a good favorite weapon they can become scary.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Mad_Max
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mannequin,

I remember we discussed PR's around the time Daydream Believer had started making his way through the masses. We both had similar design theories with PR's.

While I believe that someone could roll up 100 warriors with Daydream's stats and not have anywhere near the success that DB has had, I believe this design to be damn solid for PR's.

Obviously, DB, has some crazy knack going on with him. He was awesome to watch dominate people and it is an honor to have fought against him. He has been one of the modern greats of the game.
PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mad_Max wrote:
Mannequin,

I remember....While I believe that someone could roll up 100 warriors with Daydream's stats and not have anywhere near the success that DB has had, I believe this design to be damn solid for PR's.

Obviously, DB, has some crazy knack "Insert manager Name" going on with him. He was awesome to watch dominate people and it is an honor to have fought against him. He has been one of the modern greats of the game.

I think the crazy knack is the skill of "Mannequin." Alot of efforts have been towards the perfect roll-up however I think a great manager can do great things with an awesome bonused roll-up.

Sincerely Purple Sage
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If I am reading it correctly and you didn't do any STAT raises (with a 7 WL it is doubtful you did) you would have ended up with:

INI: EXPERT
RIP: MASTERS
ATT: MASTERS
PAR: MASTERS
DEF: EXPERT
DEC: EXPERT (I only come up with 15 here so I imagine you were actually +4 here as well)

That is so very sweet, congrats on such a successful warrior. I hope that Jumpinjack Flash does just as well.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic