New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - My Tournament (Spoilers abound)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Deleting large venting post. To sum up, I was upset after getting killed in 2 title fights and getting knocked out by an NPC in the final 3 of another class.

It was a stupid thread to start.

Last edited by Vhagar on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You probably don't want to hear this man, I am sure you are building your pipeline and don't want to hear it. But your heading for a HUGE burnout if you run that many. Take a week like you said, just breathe then go through all 300 of those guys and pick like 5 or so per class and run the best. Your life will be much better.
youngblood
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sour grapes are what they are bro....sour. If you went in thinking you were gonna have a great tourney and didnt, that sucks, BUT, thats something that every manager learns, sometimes repeatedly, lol. I had a freind that no longers plays because he couldnt understand why his warriors never TC'd and rarely TV'd.

My only adviced that i can give ya, if your willing to take it, is this; Dont take something that is meant for entertainment get you to the point to where you arent having fun anymore. Cuz if your not having fun, whats the point? Ya know. Wink

I used to get so frustrated, and broke, because i would run 30-50 rookies every tourney. I thought the more i flooded the bracket, the more of a shot at winning. Everytime it seemed as though someone would send in that one that they "knew" would win, and indeed they would win. So i came to the conclusion that (especially in rookies) no matter how many you send, the best managed warrior is gonna win, note i said managed. Not that i'm sayin you or anyone else out there that does the same thing arent good or even great managers, the point im trying to say is; its harder to prepare and manage 30-50 rookies and manage them at the same time, as opposed to running 5-10 elite rookie warriors and managing them.

Youngblood

Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:
You probably don't want to hear this man, I am sure you are building your pipeline and don't want to hear it. But your heading for a HUGE burnout if you run that many. Take a week like you said, just breathe then go through all 300 of those guys and pick like 5 or so per class and run the best. Your life will be much better.

It's not the roster size. I mean some retired people golf, I'm playing DM. I love poking around my huge excel document and analyzing data, and the more data the better. I even like entering in all the info and reading all the fights. I don't face burnout from managing too large of a roster, I face frustration-out from lack of success.

Before I left the game last time I was running around 100-140, and had 1 TC and 3 RUs in my last 2 tournaments. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to reset my expectations and was simply expecting that sort've success this time.

And I know that I'm probably coming off like an a-hole here in this thread, and I apologize again.
youngblood
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, i cant say this for myself, but Trip has been playing for a loooooooooooooooong time, and would trust anything the dude told me about any rollup witout question. Not saying you dont know, cuz im positive you do, but second, third and sometimes even fourth opinions are very helpful bro. Good luck in whatever you do Very Happy

Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

youngblood wrote:

Not that i'm sayin you or anyone else out there that does the same thing arent good or even great managers, the point im trying to say is; its harder to prepare and manage 30-50 rookies and manage them at the same time, as opposed to running 5-10 elite rookie warriors and managing them.

Now that part I understand. I have no expectations from rookies. That's a giant crapshoot. I ran 200 so that I could pick out the top 80 or so to send on to apprentices and rookies. Rookies and apprentices is all about the pipeline. I don't start getting expectations until Inits. Heck, I didn't do too badly in rookies. I was fighting my own guys a bunch in the last 3-4 rounds. We just couldn't put 3 losses on super open-hand AB boy.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not at all man. I don't think you are at all.

I just know the feeling, when I came back I was soooo gun ho I spent a ton and the results make it that much worse.

I started sending a whole lot lower amounts and doing much better concentrating on those.

I just don't want to see a good player burn out. Want you to stick around seriously.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

and regardless of how many you normally send, be it 100 or 200, there isn't a possible way to concentrate on the guys you need to if you have to run that many, even if your simply glancing and going, it puts that pressure on.

I dunno, hell I have never sent more than 60 at any face and that was too much.

Seems like I started having a much better time sending about 5 per class or so and tving with at least 1. More TC's came that way also when I started concentrating fully.
Vhagar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:

I just know the feeling, when I came back I was soooo gun ho I spent a ton and the results make it that much worse.

That's a really valid point. Maybe spending more is amplifying the lack of success.

Maybe I need to stop running all of these PRs too. My thought was hey, let's rock-paper-scissor and put out a bunch of guys to take out everyone else's strikers, but I'm afraid I just don't have Mannequin's touch.
GreekGuy
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mailins suck too when you dont do well as you didnt even get to have the fun hanging out with everyone like a FTF. My last FTF was the first time I didnt TV at a FTF...the only guy I had TV was killed in runoffs so I know the sting of not meeting expectations. Thats also why my mailing crew is much smaller than my FTF and I don't really have expectations so I then cant be disappointed. I had to take a few weeks after the FTF to get rid of the blahs too. It'll pass but as some have said you might want to cull the herd a little.
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm curious about the quality level of the warriors. I alluded to that in a PM we exchanged earlier. 200 rookies should equate to somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rollups. Between crappy rollups and warriors rolling up crappily I can usually find one guy to run in 5-10 rollups.

For the most part, even in the rookies, its exceptional warriors with solid management TCing.

Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, it's awesome that some of the D2 community is being so supportive, honestly it is. I just cant be that guy. Aren't you the guy that had employees looking up styles for you at a face? That takes the fun out of it imho. I seriously am stoked that someone won rookies that didnt send 209 entries. (unless it was marmaduke that sent like 100? Laughing ) I cant say why I'm stoked, maybe I'm jealous I dont have several thousand dollars to spend on the game or maybe I'm just drunk... ( I am, TGG can vouch for that) and I'm sure I'll get blasted for this post but oh well.

A tiny background... I've played this game on a limited budget and have done well, again, maybe just imho. But I've TC'd maybe a dozen times and have had more than my share of runner-ups, but I've also played steadily for 15 years, since I was in High School without getting burnt out. I think the most I've ever run in one tourney is the high 40's. Like 47 I think? Everyone's different I realize but I worry about the 'all-in' approach you take to the game relating to burn-out. It's like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the one kid's dad buying all the chocolate bars looking for the golden ticket. I'm curious to know, with all those entrants, how many TC's or TV's would have constituted success? Listen to Trip or whoever and start picking out some of the best/favorite warriors and try to have fun.

Of course, the ladies at RSI will hate me trying to take money out of their pockets, and did I mention that I'm drunk? Wink
RascallyRabbit
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Alan,

I was there at your 1st TC (a TP in Columbia, right?) Drunk or not your persepctive is right on. I tryed the win it with cash program, and it wasn't til I settled down and started to really look at teh game that I had my 1st TC (before that I had the runner-up record, is that Dwayne now?), and the 2nd was right after that.

Nice to here from you, congratulations and drink one for me Twisted Evil

"Every day life gives us 10,000 chances, all we have to do is reach out and take just one"
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hate you Alan, BTW Very Happy

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

deleted

Last edited by Vhagar on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic