New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - More good books
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
Got the new Joe Abercrombie book, Red Country, for Christmas, just finished and it absolutely lives up to all the previous books! Some familiar faces pop up in this one as well! This guy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors, hope he keeps writing!

Loved this as well. Like a western with swords.

Also check out ...

Michael Sullivan .. http://riyria.blogspot.com/p/books.html .. The Riyria Series

Ken Scholes http://www.kenscholes.com/ ..Psalms of Isacc series
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the final book in the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has, at long last, hit the shelves. A Memory of Light...

Soooo......who's gonna be the first to commit to that one and let the rest of us know how it ends? Or at least whether to bother reading it or not? I haven't read the last 3 or 4 so I'm not jumping yet!

HowlinWolf
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read it and thought it was phenomenal. In fact, I thought Sanderson's books were all superior to Jordan's.
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
Well, the final book in the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has, at long last, hit the shelves. A Memory of Light...

Soooo......who's gonna be the first to commit to that one and let the rest of us know how it ends? Or at least whether to bother reading it or not? I haven't read the last 3 or 4 so I'm not jumping yet!

I've already read it and while I was disappointed in how long Jordan dragged the series out before passing away and didn't enjoy Brandon Sanderson's writing nearly as much I fully enjoyed the last installment. Sanderson's writing is evident during the first 1/3 of the book. He doesn't have Jordan's ability to put you into his world. As the book progressed and the action heated up, I became fully engrossed in the story and found that I no longer cared who wrote the book.

I can provide spoilers if people want but would rather not spoil the ending so you can enjoy the book yourselves.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Madwand wrote:
Stik wrote:

I've already read it and while I was disappointed in how long Jordan dragged the series out before passing away and didn't enjoy Brandon Sanderson's writing nearly as much I fully enjoyed the last installment. Sanderson's writing is evident during the first 1/3 of the book. He doesn't have Jordan's ability to put you into his world. As the book progressed and the action heated up, I became fully engrossed in the story and found that I no longer cared who wrote the book.

I can provide spoilers if people want but would rather not spoil the ending so you can enjoy the book yourselves.

It has been so long since we read the rest of the series that we find ourselves both uninvested and unwilling to finally read the last book. We would feel the need to reread the series up to that point first, and it just probably isn't gonna happen.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's 2 very good series I've been reading on and off for years, by S.M. Stirling: pasted from Wiki cause it's so much easier;

The Change is the overall name of the stories of the Nantucket series and the Emberverse series.

Nantucket series
In Island in the Sea of Time the island of Nantucket is transported by an unknown phenomenon (called "The Event" in the series) back in time into the Bronze Age circa 1250s BC (corresponding to the late Heroic Age of Greek mythology). The trilogy describes the conflict between the different factions of the island's population—some trying to dominate the world for their own benefit, others trying to better it, while most just want to survive, work hard, and claw their way back to something approaching their pre-Event way of life.

The series consists of three books:

Island in the Sea of Time (1998)
Against the Tide of Years (1999)
On the Oceans of Eternity (2000)
Additionally, the short story "Riding Shotgun to Armageddon" (1998) and the novelette "Blood Wolf" (2004) are also set in this series.

The Emberverse series
Dies the Fire (2004) shows the effects on the planet—a world Nantucket left—of something called "The Change". Electricity, guns, explosives, internal combustion engines, and steam power no longer work. The series mostly deals with the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, with some description of the United Kingdom. After describing how people in those places survive the loss of 600 years of technological progress, the primary focus of this series turns to a conflict between a Portland-based neo-feudal dictatorship created by a sociopathic history professor, and the free communities of the Willamette Valley, most notably the Wiccan Clan Mackenzie and a group led by a former Marine, the Bearkillers.

Dies the Fire (2004)
The Protector's War (2005)
A Meeting at Corvallis (2006)
A second series, set 22 years after the Change, is in progress:

The Sunrise Lands (2007)
The Scourge of God (2008)
The Sword of the Lady (2009)
The High King of Montival (2010)
The Tears of the Sun (2011)
Lord of Mountains (2012)
The Given Sacrifice (2013?)
The third book's conclusion offers a sort of explanation for the Change, which includes what appear to be Swindapa and Marian Alston, major characters from the Nantucket trilogy.

Additionally, the short stories "A Murder in Eddsford" (2008) and "Something for Yew" (2007) are also set in this universe, taking place in post-change Britain.

Slugbait
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
Madwand wrote:
Stik wrote:

It has been so long since we read the rest of the series that we find ourselves both uninvested and unwilling to finally read the last book. We would feel the need to reread the series up to that point first, and it just probably isn't gonna happen.

Spend 10 minutes reading the wiki on Wheel of Time, get back up to date and dive right in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Says the man who gave up on book 4 and is super happy he did.

I'm also refusing to read any more R.R. Martin till/if he finishes his series.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slugbait wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
Madwand wrote:
Stik wrote:

Spend 10 minutes reading the wiki on Wheel of Time, get back up to date and dive right in.

it "angers" us that you gave us such a nice and reasonable out, and te pressure is mounting, but so far we resist.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Slugbait
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
Slugbait wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
Madwand wrote:
Stik wrote:

it "angers" us that you gave us such a nice and reasonable out, and te pressure is mounting, but so far we resist.

I'm glad it "angers" you. My exact plan was to put you on "tilt" so that I stand a chance in our shared arenas.

Wink
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just finished reading book one in Brent Weeks' new series, The Black Prism. You may recall he wrote the assassin-based Night Angel trilogy a few years ago. Black Prism is out in paperback and the next one just came out hardcover. Pretty cool series with a neat idea for a new kind of "magic." Sort of reverse-engineering light and turning it in all its different spectrums into various forms of deadly energy that can be "drafted." The world also has early gunpowder use, so it's not just sword and sorcery. I had set this book down in the middle to read Abercrombie's new one I had received for Christmas. Not sure if I'm gonna pick the new one up hardcover yet, but will definitely read it!

Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have read that book and the Night Angel series. Very good author.

Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone read 'Graceling' by Kristin Cashore?
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

C'mon Consortium. My father in law does it. Very Happy Seriously, when Jordan released a new book in the series, he would read book one up to the latest book and then buy the new one on the day it is released.

I will eventually get around to reading the prequel and the last three just out of respect for the writer. But I have a nice stack on my night stand that I need to read:
Book five of the A Song of Ice and Fire series
The last three Horus Heresy novels
The man who shot the man shot shot Lincoln (History)
Black Water
Mao's Great Famine
The first eight books of the Sharpe series.
Shocked
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I have a reading list that will take me to the grave. Its a lot of books and it keeps getting longer. If I didn't have this pesky work stuff that got in the way...

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Me too, LHI. there are other books I have on my list. I just didn't post them.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic