New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Philly Face
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Will say more later, but,
great venue (a little noisy at times feeling like Disnet World)
nice rooms
generous breakfast and very generous free happy hour
fine prices
good showing (26+) the best East/South/Midwest in a long while
great comraderie (even to TUM who ran off with 5 TC's)
well run (after a few early minor glitches)
great resultant to grudge matches (more later)

only real gripe was the lack of available meal options nearby

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This seems as good a place as any for a FtF report.

First, it was great to see everyone, old and new. I enjoyed myself immensely and as far as I can tell, everyone had a good time. It was especially nice meeting Talon and Deep Thought. Welcome back to the game, Talon. Deep Thought, I hope you enjoyed your first FtF experience.

Now on to the good stuff! (the numbers)

I made a rule for myself of "no more than 1 member of any given style in any given class." It serves two purposes for me. One, to keep myself running and experimenting with all ten styles. Two, to keep my tourney roster at a manageable level, insuring that I have no more than 10 Rookies, for instance, and I don't run 7 ADM ABs, which I reasonably could have. While not the best strategy for maximizing TCs, its been great for maximizing fun.

I ended up with 57 entries: 1 Primus, 4 Contenders, 4 Eligibles, 9 ADM, 5 Freshmen, 5 Challengers, 2 Champions, 3 Adepts, 7 Initiates, 7 Apprentices, and 10 Rookies. I broke down my record by style:

AB, 8 entries, 36-24, 60%
BA, 7 entries, 17-21, 44.7%
LU, 5 entries, 15-15, 50%
PL, 3 entries, 6-9, 40%
PR, 3 entries, 9-9, 50%
PS, 5 entries, 22-15, 59.5%
SL, 9 entries, 44-27, 62%
ST, 7 entries, 21-21, 50%
TP, 6 entries, 34-17, 66.7%
WS, 4 entries, 6-12, 33.3%
overall, 57 entries, 210-170-4-2, 55.3%

Pretty interesting numbers, I think. Despite the fact that its a small sample size, I was pleased that AB wasn't my best performer (despite having an AB bust-out go deep in ADM). TP and SL both outperformed the style, and PS was only a hair behind.

At the end of the day, I had 5 warriors enter the run-offs (2 SL, 1 TP, 1 PS, and 1 AB) and I ended up with 2 TVs and a TC (PS and SL TVs, TP TC). How I got from 5 to 3 is perhaps the most fun part of the tourney (well, aside from winning the Challengers TC with my venerable TP on his last Challengers run).

It all started with TMM. My single-21 AB bust-out, Knothandler, was cruising along in ADM at 11-1 and was matched up against TMM's AB, Scootie Puff Jr. I'm pretty sure Scootie was busting out and was prize modified. The odds were stacked against me. While Knothandler ran open handed sometimes against the high attack LUs and SLs, he was not an open handed AB at heart, having SS and Lunge tactic favorites. I managed to knock off a couple other ABs by surprising them with SS/Lunge, so I decided to try the same against Scootie Puff Jr. It didn't go horribly, as I was able to hit him once or twice and do some parry damage, but I wasn't able to knock him down and he eventually took control of the fight. Despite calls from the arenamaster, Scootie wouldn't stop punching and kicking and proceeded to beat Knothandler to death, eliminating him at 11-2 and denying him his TV.

SCOOTIE PUFF JR 5-5033 of 011510A viciously butchered KNOTHANDLER 21-6555 of SEA DOGS in a crowd pleasing 5 minute gruesome fight.

Two classes later, my Challengers TP, Iron Shackle, was matched up against another TMM AB, Opal Ravioli. Iron Shackle had beaten him the turn before in a VERY close match. I changed nothing about Iron Shackle's strategy and awaited the results of our next match. This one was a blow-out. Opal managed two SC crits which Iron Shackle dodged, and Iron Shackle responded with three BS crits. One devastating hit to the chest and another hit to the jaw and Opal Ravioli fell over dead, eliminated from Challengers at 11-2. The score had been settled.

IRON SHACKLE 82-50451 of DUNGEON CELL 75 murdered OPAL RAVIOLI 82-55204 of 011808F in a 1 minute one-sided melee.

Then my team got a little carried away. Andorian Smoothie, a SL, was matched up against TUM's ST Phlegm in round 14 of the Adepts tourney. A few clashes and 4 Hatchet swings later and Phlegm had been dispatched to the underworld at 11-3.

ANDORIAN SMOOTHIE 63-2885 of SHEWISH BUFFET slaughtered PHLEGM 84-13454 of NOWNS XIII in a exciting 1 minute uneven battle.

You might think that this would be the end of it. After all, the tourney is practically over? Not yet. What Andorian Smoothie failed to realize during his overzealous hatchet job, was that this was Meat's house. Andorian Smoothie was only a visitor. Round 16 pitted Andorian Smoothie against TUM's prize modified beast of an AB, Meat, in the finals fight. Andorian Smoothie looked good for one brief moment as he opened with a Hatchet critical. Meat dodged, riposted, and starting raining fists and elbows down on Andorian Smoothie. A hit to the pelvis, to the groin, two to the abdomen, and finally a fatal punch to the face. This time, it was TUM that settled the score and in dramatic fashion. Congrats on the honorary runner-up, my faithful SL, and good luck in the Dead Champions tourney.

ANDORIAN SMOOTHIE 63-2885 of SHEWISH BUFFET was butchered by MEAT 84-27302 of 4-LETTER PIZZA in a 1 minute mismatched fight.

And thus ended my deadly run-offs. Five warriors entered, and only three survived.

Thanks to RSI for the enjoyable tourney and I look forward to facing all of you in the October mail-in. A big congrats to TUM, TMM, Floyd, and Khisanth on their TCs, and also to Talon, Howling Wolf, The Dark One, and TMM on their Bloodgames graduates.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic