New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - NCAA 2012 Football
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have seen a few Michigan High Schools run a triple option and wondered if they were learning it on the Freshman team or if they had some experience prior to High School.

The Army/Navy game always makes me feel like I am going back in time and watching good "Hard-Nosed Football". Being from a Big Ten area, BO (Schembechler) KNOWS, I appreciate "3 yards and a cloud of dust" and am old enough to remember the Oklahoma Wishbone and some of those good ole' formations like the Single Wing and Wing-T (think Wake Forest's Jim Grobe runs the single wing). If I recall the main difference is shotgun or under center. Never truly understood the difference between a Splitback and a Wingback,as they line up in the same place, but as a teenager I used to dabble in studying these odd offenses. Funny how many different ways you can run the "4 key plays".

Too bad Army could've had this game and broke the 10 game streak but the FB fumbled on their last drive. OOF!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to see Manziel got the recognition he deserved! There was no real way to NOT give it to him despite others having great years he was a Redshirt Freshman in an excellent defensive league in the SEC.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
I have seen a few Michigan High Schools run a triple option and wondered if they were learning it on the Freshman team or if they had some experience prior to High School.

The Army/Navy game always makes me feel like I am going back in time and watching good "Hard-Nosed Football". Being from a Big Ten area, BO (Schembechler) KNOWS, I appreciate "3 yards and a cloud of dust" and am old enough to remember the Oklahoma Wishbone and some of those good ole' formations like the Single Wing and Wing-T (think Wake Forest's Jim Grobe runs the single wing). If I recall the main difference is shotgun or under center. Never truly understood the difference between a Splitback and a Wingback,as they line up in the same place, but as a teenager I used to dabble in studying these odd offenses. Funny how many different ways you can run the "4 key plays".

Too bad Army could've had this game and broke the 10 game streak but the FB fumbled on their last drive. OOF!

Ran the T, split-T, single-wing, double-wing, short-punt, and spread in high school. (All four years) Yep, we had 6 formations! From the T and split-T, we ran pulling centers in copycat to Lombardi's pulling guards. The coach called the formation and the quarterback called the play.
And all this in the last eight man football league in Indiana.

Gooooooo Bulldogs!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Glad to see Manziel got the recognition he deserved! There was no real way to NOT give it to him despite others having great years he was a Redshirt Freshman in an excellent defensive league in the SEC.

Agree that Manziel deserved the Heisman, with Te'o a close second.

Not sure about the SEC being a great defensive league. They're okay, but I think it's more of a case of the SEC having inept offenses than having great defenses.

For example, let's look at Manzeil's Texas A&M team. Sam Houston State and Louisiana Tech scored more on A&M than did ANY SEC team this year (including supposed powerhouses like Alabama, LSU, and Florida). Of course their defenses look good (on paper). They only play weak offenses.

And finally, as a former high school football coach who ran the triple-o, it would take special players to effectively run it below the high school level.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How about those Clemson Tigers?! Welcome to the big time, fellows.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you see that hit by Clowney in the Gamecock game? DAMN!

Looks like Florida thought this was going to be an easy win against Louisville and hasn't shown up yet.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:
Did you see that hit by Clowney in the Gamecock game? DAMN!

Looks like Florida thought this was going to be an easy win against Louisville and hasn't shown up yet.

Unfortunately I did. The one thing nobody seems to be mentioning is he ducked his head (at 6'8 the only way to contact a 6' RB in the face mask with the top of your helmet is to do so) and used the crown of his helmet and struck the RB in the facemask. Not 100% sure in college but in the Pros that is ALWAYS a penalty... the old "Spearing" call if not just plain "Helmet to Helmet" contact. I know the Michigan radio announcers were all over it, especially since it knocked his helmet 8 yards down the field!

Edit:

One guy on a YouTube video of this defended it saying a RB "in the box" can get hit anywhere but this article disagrees:
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/helmet-to-helmet-hits-calls-inconsistent-targeting-baylor-texas-tech-112412

In it Mike Perreira rants on tackling issues in the game adding:

The NCAA rulebook on page 39 (rule 2, section 26) is very clear when it defines tackling: ``Tackling is grasping or encircling an opponent with a hand(s) or arm (s).’’

Too many times now, players are not trying to tackle their opponents. They are targeting them and using their helmets to initiate the blows.

Back to the rulebook. It defines targeting as follows (rule 9, article 3): ``No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.’’ Article 4 goes on to add: "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul."

Thomas Jefferson
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:

Or perhaps, like the rest of the SEC, Florida was ranked waaaay above their level of play.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
Visionst01 wrote:

Or perhaps, like the rest of the SEC, Florida was ranked waaaay above their level of play.

Not at all a great bowl season for the SEC. Would like to see that demise continue with a Notre Dame national championship. Also hope this will mean something good in the final rankings for Fla St and Clemson.

Gooooooooooooooooooo IRISH!

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's like Deja Vu all over again! Very Happy

The Thundering Herd, North Dakota State University Bison defeat Sam Houston State handily, again, 39-13, down in Texas for the NCAA DIAA FCS national championship! You know, the college league that has an actual playoff system? Go Bison!! Very Happy

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
It's like Deja Vu all over again! Very Happy

The Thundering Herd, North Dakota State University Bison defeat Sam Houston State handily, again, 39-13, down in Texas for the NCAA DIAA FCS national championship! You know, the college league that has an actual playoff system? Go Bison!! Very Happy

A salute to The Thundering Herd!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well 2 blown calls already, despite what director of officials says his own man hit the punt returner causing him to drop the ball (and a late signal when the defender was already inside the "halo"), this is pissing me off despite the fact I HATE Notre Dame. Even after taking a timeout they chose NOT to even take a look at the third down reception, that was clearly a catch, these officials appear to SUCK!

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Was there a game on last night? Musta missed it.

Grats to AL. Sads to ND. I guess this did little to the myth of "SEC rules", did it?

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic