New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Which would you choose?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know this is basically the manager's preference, but I was just curious. Which would you prefer your fighter to use?

Epee or Short sword.

I like both but the epee looks cooler when you win with it.
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would tend to use epee against lighter armor, ARM at heaviest. Use the trusty SH against the heavier stuff if you have to. It makes a great backup for your SC or LO...some managers don't like the epee at all for use in basic, but if your guy crits with it, use it.

Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shortsword is just fine if you do enough damage. Epee seems more like a toothpick.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
I know this is basically the manager's preference, but I was just curious. Which would you prefer your fighter to use?

Epee or Short sword.

I like both but the epee looks cooler when you win with it.

I prefer SH... not sure why except that it almost never breaks and seems to do a bit more damage.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the thousands of fights we have seen, the SH is far more prevalent than the EP. owever, that may be due more to the physical requirements for the EP, rather than preference.

We use both, and prefer the EP as a fighting weapon, and the SH as a protective weapon.
SH makes a great backup.
SH seldom breaks
EP seems to work better with riposte

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

for me, assuming that I am well suited to it, I will almost always chose the EP over the SH as I believe the EP is a real weapon and does well vs almost all armor as far as I have seen and it is lighter and I just prefer the read and the intimidation factor of the opponent knowing that they are facing an opponent that has the ability to use the EP which tells them I have at least a 15/15 WT/WL. I have seen AB/PR/LU tear up TPs using the EP by hitting the joints and seeming to find the cracks in the armor. The only armor that seems to diminish the damage of the EP is ACM

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Back in the early 90s I had an offensive total parry named Hope Dasher in DM-20. She went 10-0-1 while using an epee and medium shield. Maybe the Consortium remembers her?
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto_X wrote:
Shortsword is just fine if you do enough damage. Epee seems more like a toothpick.

A 5 foot long toothpick! I have to say that it works surprisingly well against heavy armor and unless I'm running a SL, where I don't expect it to lunge, I'll drop it in the 8-12 slot surrounded by the SC and/or LO (eg 1-8 LO;9-12 EP;13+ SC). With it's thrusting ability (rules state it can slash and lunge equally as well, whereas SC is a "can be used to thrust if needed" weapon) it seems to hit creases in Scale and do better than the SC. After having a great damage ST bounce a few attacks off of Scale with the SH I only use it up to ARM. I have WAY too many LUs with the SH fave and they bounce alot off of Plate in ADM so I'll go to a non-fave weapon of LO (rare occasions might try EP).

I really do not like the SH, except as an off-hand parry weapon against ARM+. I tend to go HA, another outstanding off-hand parry weapon, as it tears up, well chops through, ALE and APL; and it breaks alot of weapons when it parries to boot!

I'll slice my "EP-hater" foes to ribbons! Cool Laughing Cool

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Street_Legal on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Back in the early 90s I had an offensive total parry named Hope Dasher in DM-20. She went 10-0-1 while using an epee and medium shield. Maybe the Consortium remembers her?

Oh, yes, indeed! The Animal Farm critters hated her in all her beauty! Crying or Very sad

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't use shortswords much as a primary weapon. I like it as a parry weapon (although I also prefer the hatchet) and think it is a great backup because of its light weight and durabiity.

Epee is not my favorite weapon, but it has its place. I like it whenI think I might want to increase my Riposte. Aimers have been surprisingly effective with it when looking for a way to beat those offensives that get the jump on them.

They are different weapons with different uses. I don't think I can say I prefer one over the other.

Dragonbane Guild(81)
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic