New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Favorite Weapon Questions
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My understanding is that when a warrior's favorite weapon is used, then every thing seems to "work" better. Most noticeable is that there are more critical hits. I also understand that as a warrior gains experience, they can have critical hits while using non-favorite weapons. With that said, I've got the following questions:

(1) What skills or attribute raises would equate to using a favorite weapon verses a non-favorite one?

Another way to ask this question is by using an example. When comparing my lunger using a long sword, which is not his favorite, verses using a scimitar that is his favorite ... How much better (quantifying using skills and/or attribute increases) will he do with the favorite? Also, how much worse might he do using a non-favorite?

(Note: I'm assuming that he is well suited for both weapons, his fights are against the same fighter using the same strategy, and his strategy is the same. A lot of assumptions!)

(2) If I had a "change favorite potion", would I be able to use it to make any weapon a favorite (even if it is not suited to the style) and does it matter if my warrior meets the minimum attributes for the weapon (ie Size)?

Again, re-asking the question using an example warrior. If I used the favorite potion on my TP who is a size 3 to make the Halberd his favorite (the thought is to benefit from the most damage dealing weapon). Would he still have the favorite bonuses even though the Halberd is unsuited for a TP? Also, would there be penalties for not meeting the weapon's minimum size requirements?

I must mention that this question is based on the "fantasy" of having this favorite changing potion. Furthermore, my example TP has all 25's (yes Primus) and he lost recently to another TP who simply did more damage because he was bigger. Maybe my "fantasy" potion should also include raising damage to the next level! =)

Hope these questions aren't too far-fetched. I'm just curious and trying to learn more about favorite weapons. By the way, I'm working on "charting" all my warriors to help gage the most likely favorites. Whoever wrote that article has helped me a lot. One thing mentioned that I will make my third and last question is ...

(3) When trying to find a fighter's favorite weapon, do the attack statements help narrow it down?

For example, if I use a short sword, but don't think its my favorite (no critical hits), then if my attack phrases mostly have "lunges" verbs, then am I assured that the favorite is probably a "lunging" type weapon? Or am I reading too much into these attack descriptions?

Sorry for being so long, but I'm a very curious manager and would like gain insight from this knowledgable group. Thanks, in advance!

Trim
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just found the following info from the first Hoser Report
Quote:
A warrior using his favorite weapon receives an attack bonus approximately equal to 3 attack skills. A warrior's favorite weapon is always well suited to his style but not necessarily to him. A warrior using his favorite weapon will peel off more critical hits than normal.
This seems to answer most of my questions. But I'm still open to any comments.

Trim
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

trmweb wrote:
Quote:
A warrior using his favorite weapon receives an attack bonus approximately equal to 3 attack skills. A warrior's favorite weapon is always well suited to his style but not necessarily to him. A warrior using his favorite weapon will peel off more critical hits than normal.

Trim

Use that answer. That is as good as the best guess out there. We, ourselves do not believe "exactly that", but it can't be fa off that?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

trmweb wrote:
Quote:

Trim

Use that answer. That is as good as the best guess out there. We, ourselves do not believe "exactly that", but it can't be fa off that?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

trmweb wrote:
(1) What skills or attribute raises would equate to using a favorite weapon verses a non-favorite one?

I'm not convinced that its as simple as an Attack bonus. To me, when I find a warriors favorite(s) in basic, it looks a lot like 'knack'. The warrior just seems to perform at a higher level, attacking better, dodging better, parrying better, not giving up as quickly, etc.

The best example for me are the TPs that I've run to TCs in Challengers. I managed to stumble upon both of their favorite weapons, and one I also found the favorite tactic and the other the favorite OE. Using two elements of their favorites, they really just looked like different warriors, and frequently embarrassed their AB opponents though no great strategy of my own (I just used the same strategy for every fight, since they seemed to like it so much).

trmweb wrote:
(2) If I had a "change favorite potion", would I be able to use it to make any weapon a favorite (even if it is not suited to the style) and does it matter if my warrior meets the minimum attributes for the weapon (ie Size)?

Favorites, natural or artificial, do not care in the slightest if you meet the minimum attributes for the weapon. You will see 3 DF EP favorite LUs and 3 SZ ML favorite BAs in ADM with just as much frequency as other weapons.

Once upon a time, you could get a marginally suited weapon as a natural favorite, like SC with a LU or BS with a BA, but that changed decades ago and now you can only get well-suited weapons as natural favorites.

The favorites potion prize could originally only assign naturally occurring favorites to a warrior, but that also changed decades ago. In recent memory, all favorites potions could assign whatever favorite you wanted to a warrior. There is a FI favorite TP and PS, a HL favorite PR, two SC favorite BAs, many SC favorite LUs, and many many Dodge tactic favorite ABs in existence right now.

trmweb wrote:
(3) When trying to find a fighter's favorite weapon, do the attack statements help narrow it down?

I don't think the attack statements reveal anything about favorites. Most people look to crit % first, and after that, it becomes much more nebulous. For me, its mostly about performance. If a warrior dramatically over-performs my expectations in a given tourney, I tend to keep the strategy the same under the assumption that he likes some part of it. Its most easy to discover this in a static tourney class like Challengers, where you can change a weapon and see the warrior go from 4-3 to 8-3 and you know you are onto something. Often, though, a warrior will just get lucky in a series of fights with a given strategy and I'll become convinced that he is using a favorite weapon and its not the case. Its definitely as much art as science, figuring out favorites in basic.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic