New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 9-13-9-3-9-10-17 Jalon?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looking at this guy as some kind of AB candidate obviously. I know it's not a perfect fit, but is this viable as possibly a 9-17-9-3-15-10-21 Jalon-style AB?? If so, how does one go about running it at tourney?? Thanks for any comments!

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Who is Jalon?
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
Looking at this guy as some kind of AB candidate obviously. I know it's not a perfect fit, but is this viable as possibly a 9-17-9-3-15-10-21 Jalon-style AB?? If so, how does one go about running it at tourney?? Thanks for any comments!

Having run a few high CN/WL - nothing else but DF, aimers, I can say they are very, very tough to make do well. And aimers. being finesse styles don't run the same - so Jalon-like is not a Jalon.

I'd do myself a favor and go for the wins with a
11-19-9-3-15-10-17 TP
or 13-17-9-3-15-10-17 version
or if interested, a
11-15-9-3-15-10-21 version

We are not at all proponents of ugly aimers.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Who is Jalon?

Jalon was a Bloodgames aimer who went 9-1-5 and went to ADM. He was 17-16-3-3-21-3-21.

As far as making it a Jalon style guy:

I'd run it like I did with my broken aimer. Dodge for a few minutes (4-6-4 or so) and run 4-4-6 open or as quick as 6-2-6/6-4-6. Don't worry so much about overencumbering and maybe go up to ACM/H.

Oh yeah and if you recall my negative DEF broken aimer ran FI. Give him a couple DA's against 10 or 12 armor and higher since they are unlikely to be as offensive and he'll last just fine, and attack enough, with those dodge strats.

Obviously against defensives, your alternate strategy, I'd pick PR, PS, WS, and TP and just run it 10-6-6 (enough activity for those offensive defensives to maybe dodge a few attacks) minute 1 and slow it down to HI/LO minute 2 MO/LO for a few then down to LO/VL for minutes 5+. Run it 8-4-6 or so in desperation. You could also try something like 4-4-4 dodge desperation since some of those PS and WS might be running hot. They attack a surprising amount, at times, with the dodge strat. Aimed Blows seem to attack whenever they see a chance regardless of strat! Give it light armor APL/H max, ALE/S at least. Again DA's rule the day! Mybe a SS against light armor, 0-8.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd have to agree with Consortium's assessment, I've run some like this too, such as x-x-x-9-21-9-21, and have never come close to succeeding with them.

MarmaDuke
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The x-x-x-9-21-9-21 setup can work in basic, however you must have tempered expectations as to where it will have a chance to perform. The double 21's provide a high skill base, while the low WT generally returns a low number of skills per FE. These setups have the best chance for success in Rookies and Apprentices in basic. That being said, their optimum value is for ADM where their bustable dual 21's create a tremendous advantage if you're close to a "line" pre-freeze.

When you look at why the Jalon style works well... you combine a high skill base with large physicals. When you reduce the skills base and diminish the physicals (9 STR, 15 WILL), you're not talking about a Jalon archetype anymore... simply an AB with a 21 DF and a big CN. The carry is gone, 15 skills are knocked off the base, WL check rolls are lessened, endurance is diminished (although not a big deal for an AB), damage output is reduced etc. All of these incremental decreases result in diminished overall performance.

The above being said, you can take that rollup and produce a very successful arena career out of it. However, unless that rollup is highly highly bonused, I'm not sure you're going to see it's tourney performance live up to what you'd like to see from it.

Best of luck to you with him though!

Deviation, State of Mind, Da Dog Powndaz, Pyromania, Rap Attacks, Slamma Jamma

May your blades always be sharp, and your opponents armor always have rust.....

Last edited by MarmaDuke on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Appreciate all the replies! This guy is on a tourney team sheet and I was just trying see a way for any kind of potential. I couldn't remember the exact Jalon numbers but knew this may be in the ball park. Still, it's pretty far off the mark.

I've got a ton of much better aimers waiting for a tourney shot as it is, so this guy likely will now never see the light of a real day fight. I don't have nearly the patience or time or money to spend getting him all the way to the point of an ADM bustout these days. Once again, many thanks for all the input!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It took me a bit of searching, to find Jalon's numbers, but Google hooked me up! I wondered myself about Jalon since I had heard the name mentioned more than a few times over the years!

I would say your design might have something of a chance at success, open handed as I stated above, in the bottom 2 tourney classes or later on so I wouldn't call it a "No go" but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list either!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would go 13-13-9-3-15-10-21 If i was making it an AB. If you don't mind burning a bit it wouldn't look to bad as 15-15-9-3-17-10-21.

I'd run it APM/F open/off hand SC ... i would go pretty fast in min 1.. 7-10-5 or so .. and stay moving in desp .. 6-10-4 ... Then just taper down the numbers as the fight goes ... your bane will be other AB's unless you can get them open handed and other high attack big dmg guys ...

I have a similar guy who went 9-3 in apprents but my guy had more str/con and less speed.

He is a aimed blow with ST=19(2) CN=18(2) SZ=9 WT=3 WL=16(1) SP=3 DF=21.

In closing .. I probably wouldn't run your guy in a tourney but if I was to it would be rookies/apprents. It will do very well in a regular arena though.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic