New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Mail-In Apr 2015 SPOILER and after-tournament discussions
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please use this. y'all.

We have no spoilers to offer, nor are we interested in hearing any. Rolling Eyes

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scorpious betrays john.

Darkheart
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Noooooooo! I am only 8 episodes into season 4!

2015 Crapgiver
TWX Champion!

The Holy Legion - DM 10
Obsidian Hall - DM 33
Iron Cathedral - DM 52
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And when you are done with the tv series, watch the movie and read the comics. Then go bang your head on the keyboard looking for news on the new movie that is in the works.

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Teasers posted by Khorvinus in Chatzy:

Quote:
Rookies was the largest with 908 warriors.
Eligibles was the smallest with 65.
Total warriors for the tourney was 2493.
Longest tourney was Initiates. It went 19 turns.
Primus and Contenders only went 14 rounds.
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anybody know when or if the tourney results have been mailed?

LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lugal_gg wrote:
Anybody know when or if the tourney results have been mailed?

If things hold to normal schedule next day mail will go out Thursday.

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got confirmation that FedX has been shipped and will be here by Friday.

Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Update:

Adepts also went 19 rounds. Might be a typo, or of course both were 19.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did the rest of the tourney go out this week?
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got my snail mail tourney results last nite.
It would appear arena 84 loves sending teams to tourney's.

Hombre
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Got mine (non-FedEx) on Monday. And I must say I had nice tourney. I LOVE snatching one away from a game-ruining fist AB with an off style. Sent 11, had 1 TC, 1 TV and pretty great trains all around.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay. So, I should expect mine by next week. Very Happy
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Okay. So, I should expect mine by next week. Very Happy

Are you sure you sent some in on time?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I picked my tourney up on Friday on my way to visit my folks in Prescott, AZ. I convinced my girlfriend to drive so that I could read the tourney in the passenger seat. Boy was it worth it!

The numbers:

60 entries
By style: 11 AB, 4 BA, 8 LU, 3 PL, 2 PR, 3 PS, 5 SL, 13 ST, 6 TP, 5 WS
By class: 5 Primus, 1 Contender, 1 Eligible, 2 ADM, 2 Freshmen, 1 Challenger, 2 Champions, 4 Adepts, 8 Initiates, 17 Apprentices, 17 Rookies
Record: 287-181-12 for 61% win/loss with zero dead
Awards: 10

----------

The highlights:

Primus

As mentioned in another thread, I was very interested in the performance of GOLDENBEARD, former Contenders TC and nearly maxed LU with VH/VH L/D favorites. He pleased me by hitting both ABs that he fought and beating one, but he lost to three non-ABs, ending up 1-4. Hopefully he'll do better once I tweak his non-AB strategy a bit!

Contenders

I didn't have high hopes for this class, but I like to have a token entry to keep people honest and have at least one chance at a TC in each class. My entry this time was PARROT KEEPER, a LU who TC'd Eligibles with +4 Attack, along with a good rhythm and weapon (LO, HI/VH). Unfortunately, he was also Parry favorite learn, so he was not able to fully max Att and remain Contenders. He had learned his gateway Attack and Defense, had maxed ST/WT/WL, and had 23 DF. Sitting at 298 skills, I figured he was at the upper bound of Contenders and could usually only manage a 5-3. So I activated him each tourney after the freeze training that 23 DF and ran him in each tourney doing the same.

This time everything worked perfectly. He picked up 24 DF in round 3 and 25 DF in round 8. He fought Fist ABs in rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. By the time the dust had settled, he was 10-0 and in the run-offs. I guess maxed Attack + Superhuman damage + people holding back their studs for July was the recipe for success that PARROT KEEPER needed. Once in the run-offs, there were no ABs to be seen. He fought Samsara (LU) in round 11, Maca-Raunchy Salad (LU) in round 12, Psychopath (WS) in round 13, and finally Samsara (managed by TMM) again in round 14 for the finals.

Two classes into my tourney and I had a 14-0 LU TC in Contenders that I hadn't had high hopes for originally.

Eligibles

Busted a token ST, GANGPLANK RIDER, who went 6-3. Nothing to see here.

ADM

I had high hopes for this class with ANDORIAN SMOOTHIE, my zombie SL who went 11-3 in the previous ADM tourney, and BAKED CONVINCIA, my Bloodgames WS who was a former Freshmen RU.

Some days everything works according to plan and you just get beat by better warriors. This was one of those days. Floyd's PL TV on the Radio and Mannequin's PL Confession were just too good. They gave my two warriors 4 of their 6 losses. Confession won the TC, TV on the Radio earned the RU, and my two warriors ended with TVs.

Freshmen

I entered two strong competitors in this class. A ST who was originally 3-10-13-20-21-6-11 named CUTPURSE and an AB who was originally 7-8-13-15-15-5-21 named STICKY FINGERS. Neither were perfect. CUTPURSE had 7 ST trains and 6 DF trains but didn't seem physical enough for the class. STICKY FINGERS had maxed his Attack skills, but was a weapon favorite without Defense bonus or maxed Defense learns.

I guess it was their lucky day. TUM decided to hold back his heavy favorite The Uptight Man, and some other people must have decided to take the tourney off figuring that The Uptight Man was going to win anyway. So my two bust-outs entered a really thin field that consisted of a ST bust-out run by HowlinWolf, a sandbagging TP run by Baron Bentsword, a sandbagging AB run by Assur, and one or two other tough warriors whose managers I don't know.

Both warriors' bust-outs went well enough and by the time the last of the competition was eliminated (Gopher Baroque at 12-3), both my ST and AB were matched up at 14-1. I thought the ST was going to win because he had a deeper bust (two stats instead of one), but STICKY FINGERS pulled it out in the 18th round.

Two TCs after the ADM classes. My tourney was complete.

Challengers through Rookies

Seriously, my tourney was complete. I'm not sure why I bother entering warriors in the basic classes. I entered 5 sacrificial lambs in the Primus class, 6 competitors in Contenders through Freshmen who produced 2 TCs, 1 RU, and 2 other TVs... and then 49 warriors in basic who got me 5 TVs. Why don't I just run 11 warriors in the ADM classes and call it a day?

Okay, it wasn't that bad. Challengers and Champions were total busts, although one of my Champs 5-3-3 record was pretty impressive. BLUE PLATE SPECIAL, a ST, kept his hot streak alive with a 9-3 Adepts TV. FINGER SANDWICH, the physically challenged SL, eeked out a TV in Initiates at 8-3. I did have one LU go pretty deep in Initiates at 13-3. And had a ST go 10-3-1 in Apprentices.

The highlight of basic was definitely getting my first PL TV. USURPER, who had spent 4 turns in the arena training out of Little damage, learning skills, and figuring out that the three best weapon options weren't his favorites, picked up the 4th best option (a SS) and went 11-3 in Apprentices with it. I'll be reading and re-reading those fights to try and figure out how to replicate that performance. After struggling for so long with the PL style, it was nice to finally get a little success with it.

The low point of the tourney was reading Rookies. 17 good solid Rookie entries. None of them did better than 7-3. They might as well have not shown up.

----------

At the end of the day, I couldn't have had a better tourney: 2 TCs, my first PL TV, and I learned some useful stuff.

The tourney had a wide variety of winners (10 managers) and styles (including both a PL and a PS TC!). The prize offered was toned down, so hopefully that means better chances of natural warriors winning TCs in the future. Meanwhile, the number of entrants was up.

All signs point to a healthy game.

Congrats to all the winners, condolences to all the dead. I'm looking forward to matching blades with everyone again in July!
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic