New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - October MI 2023
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems there is no thread for this tourney yet, so I thought I'd make one.

- The tourney is taking place on Saturday, October 28
- Strategies are due on Wednesday, October 25, although they usually accept them for a few days after up until they start running the tournament
- The prize for all living TCs is one potion of Resurrection, Immortality, or Rejuvenation; living TVs get priority challenging in the arena
- The prize for all dead TCs is resurrection plus immortality on themselves, while all dead TVs are resurrected
- There will be stylemaster awards in all tourney classes for the nine styles that don't TC, and the prize for that is 1 ZAP potion, which can be used to re-roll a part of the favorites, a skill bonus, damage, or handedness (and possibly endurance now too)

Time to get those strategies in if you haven't already!

Good luck to everyone in the tourney.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some other useful items to know:

- arenas with due dates of Thursday October 26 and earlier run BEFORE the tourney
- arenas with due dates of Friday October 27 and later run AFTER the tourney
- there is no longer a basic freeze; warriors fight in classes based on their FE on the day of the tourney
studcraft
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There will be stylemaster awards in all tourney classes for the nine styles that don't TC, and the prize for that is 1 ZAP potion, which can be used to re-roll a part of the favorites, a skill bonus, damage, or handedness (and possibly endurance now too)

I thought it was just a +1 skill are we positive it is more than that?
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

studcraft wrote:
There will be stylemaster awards in all tourney classes for the nine styles that don't TC, and the prize for that is 1 ZAP potion, which can be used to re-roll a part of the favorites, a skill bonus, damage, or handedness (and possibly endurance now too)

I thought it was just a +1 skill are we positive it is more than that?

It is in the tourney announcement.

The prize for stylemasters this tourney is one ZAP potion instead of one +1 bonus potion.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The tourney is running, so it is safe to preview my tourney squad. I was aiming for 55 entries, but after a last minute replacement showed up on a team that was already running and with two other additions because of stylemasters, I ended up with 58.

By style: 13 AB, 3 BA, 15 LU, 2 PL, 4 PR, 3 PS, 2 SL, 9 ST, 3 TP, 4 WS
By class: 9 Primus, 5 Contenders, 2 Eligibles, 1 ADM, 5 Freshmen, 3 Challengers, 1 Champion, 1 Adept, 12 Initiates, 4 Apprentices, 3 Rookies, 3 Dead Challengers, 1 Dead Champion, 2 Dead Adepts, 2 Dead Initiates, 4 Dead Apprentices

This TC prize is the weakest TC prize there is, so one can usually count on weak competition. While the addition of Rejuvenation to the old standby of Resurrection or Immortality is nice, it still doesn't rank up there with the January, July, or April prizes. On the other hand, the switch from bonus potion to ZAP for stylemasters is exciting, but I couldn't quite figure out what impact that would have on the tourney. With increased volume, but more of the weaker styles, does that make the tourney easier or harder? It probably makes it easier to TV, harder to TC, and definitely harder to win stylemasters.

The stylemasters did impact my tourney squad, however. I cut my 2nd and 3rd best ABs from Primus and added extra members of other styles. So my Primus crew consists of 9 warriors of 9 different styles. My best AB is going for a TV, 7 warriors are going for stylemasters, and one poor LU is trying to finish his SP training by next King of Primus competition.

I also added two dead warriors from my DM 18 team, in the hopes that they might win a stylemaster and I could use the prize on someone else on the team. They are a 9 FE 17-12-6-21-7-6-15 PR (with AEs in Rip and Att) and a 2 FE 7-12-6-21-15-9-14 SL (with an AE in Init and Good damage). Neither entry is bad, they are just long ago retired dead warriors that I wouldn't have run otherwise.

I haven't been going all out each tourney with new setups and fresh warriors, as I've found the relentless push to keep the pipeline flowing actually makes the game seem more like work than fun. So in April, I had lots of 0 FE entries, which led to having lots of 4 FE entries in July. That resulted in a big and hopefully strong Initiates class for this tourney. Of my 12 Initiates, two are 13-3 Rookie TVs from April, three are 8-3/9-3 Apprentice TVs from July, one is a Zombie WS that debuted with a 7-3 in July, three others are 21-21 LUs, and the remaining three entries are warriors who simply did well enough in the preceding tournies to be worth timing. This is probably an average class for some of the high volume managers, but for me, its about as good as it gets. I am very LU heavy in the class, but there is a sprinkling of other stuff with 3 STs, a WS, and a BA.

My second best shot is in Eligibles, where I busted a warrior that flirted dangerously close to the line. ALGENUBI entered the freeze with stats of 24(14)-20(9)-5-8(1)-24(3)-9-23(2) after a failed ADM bust and plenty of training in DM 102. He had 199 skills at the freeze, which is cutting it really close. In the post-freeze arena turns, he trained WL to 25 and spent two turns learning 6 skills (which included 2 Att and 2 Def), so is entering the tourney with 209 total skills. He is alternating DF and WT trains, so with any luck he can complete DF to 25 and then WT to 11 during the run-offs. He has not shown any knack prior to now, so I'm not that hopeful, but the FI favorite should help.

My third best class is Contenders, where I have 3 sandbaggers with 11 Contenders TVs between them, along with a new zombie AB who should be competitive and a crummy old AB that I am training over the line to retirement. In the past, I would've rated this class higher, but my Contenders got creamed in July with 0 TVs so my confidence level is low. I would love a good performance out of a few of them. I get a special thrill whenever my TP, SPARE ANCHOR, manages to TV.

And that's what you are up against from me. I have nothing but sandbaggers in ADM, Freshmen, and Challengers, and don't expect a whole lot from them. I only have a single entry in Champions, Adepts, and Dead Champions, and only a few entries in Apprentices, Rookies, Dead Challengers, Dead Adepts, Dead Initiates, and Dead Apprentices. Just enough to give me a chance and some fun reading, but not so much that I'm expecting anything.

It sounds like RSI was busy late into Saturday evening entering warriors, so this is shaping up to be a big tourney. Between the dead TVs and the living TCs and the stylemasters, I hope everyone walks away from the tourney winning something and feeling good about it. But for good measure, good luck to everyone!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great read, OAB. appreciate your effort and reading it.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Urmar
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent 80 or so living, 9 dead. All are in Adepts or lower classifications, with about half of the living in Rookies with successively fewer at each higher tier. I'm still getting my feet under me on the higher end classes, seeing what it takes to be competitive there. I expect I'll be more selective at the FTF in January, but for the mailer, I am very much looking forward to seeing how my strats and alt strats worked in the matchup game. Hoping for a few TVs and maybe a Stylemaster again following my New Orleans SM.

Can't wait to see the results!

Urmar/Obregon
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck to all.
Hopefully, FEDEX starts dropping tomorrow.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

FEDEX is in the "mail" for delivery Fri.

IT'S COMING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FEDEX choosers were rewarded Friday.
Mailer NL included.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic